omnistor electric step problems (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Having some issues with the step on my 2010 comanche. The step will not fully retract when the van is locked or when the engine is started. It eventually retracts after trying different combinations of locking the van or starting the engine but now it won't fully extend when the can is unlocked. Have not had a chance to get underneath yet but any ideas what to look for & what could be done so we can drive home.

Would be grateful for any funster suggestions. Thanks

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Don't know if this helps, but there was a recent manufacturers recall on electric steps. As yours is a late van, may be worth checking. I had mine checked under the recall by the dealership.

Someone will be along with better info than me and provide alternative mechanical nouse. It can be a common problem.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Before someone else says ask jaws !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few possibles.
1) You have a bit of clag on the step that is activating the limit switch
2) There is clag in the motor assembly
3) The actual mechanism is worn slightly and kicking off to one side, subsequently jamming
4) The mechanism has developed stiff joints
They are the easy fixes
The not so easy fix unless you are happy with a soldering iron and a PCB is
5) The relay contacts may be duff.. This is ONE of the faults I found during my step saga ( and sorry to say by the sound of it this is what you may well be suffering from

The good news is that you will NOT have a ruddy EM50 control unit .. everything is done in the PSU which SHOULD be either a 460 or 465

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I had similar problems with a brand new van e step and they all stemmed from the power unit. You may be able to adjust the power that extends/retract from the power control unit (sargent in my case).
I had my unit returned to have a poly fuse upgraded with no result. I contacted Swift they put the dealer right. No problem since.
I would check for fouling of the mechanisms before i started to have the unit seen to.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahhhh Well actually after all my dealings I would MUCH rather have an EM50 that a 460 or 465 unit !

In fact if it turns out to be a relay I can sort them out for you no problem.. Would cost you the postage to me and back to you :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a thought, my step was doing this when we first got the van, wouldn't go all the way out, and needed a kick to get it to fully retract.
Then whilst it was hooked up and charging, I hit the step button, and it fully extended. So I hit the button again and it fully retracted. It turned out my leisure battery was completely shot, I replaced the battery and now the step works fine.
So long story short, are you batteries in good order? Another thing to check?

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Managed to clean off the road muck from the step hinges & get it retracted fully so we could drive off without the alarm sounding. Will leave it in till we get home. Does anyone know, the 4 bolts that hold the step in place are they into encapsulated nuts, ie; are the nuts welded in place or are they loose to aid adjustment?

Thanks all. p's thanks Jaws for the offer. Do you know about the above?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry mate I do not.. So far I have managed to avoid all the dirty bits under there as all my issues have been in the clean bits in the van ! :)

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
step.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think you got that from the omnistore web site ? It is nowt like the mess that is fitted to the Autotrail and Swift I am afraid..
You cannot even get a full diagram of how it is wired using the interface box.. this is about all you can get..block diagrams.. as useful as choccy fire guards:

sargent em50.JPG
em501.JPG
em502.JPG
em503.JPG
em504.JPG
em505.JPG

Copy right Sargent.. I know the diagrams are in the public domain but always worth adding who they belong to :)

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thanks for those Jaws, they make good reading if you understand wiring diagrams & how relays work but as you say 'as useful as a chocolate fire guard' cos I'm sure autotrail wire the vans up as they see fit !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back