omnistep problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stephen harwood, May 24, 2016.

1. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Hi guys on west coast of scotland and step stoped working have checked main fuses, wife has job to use cab step to get in and out, so she uses hab step, any thughts regards steve. Ps. Presently in gairloch

2. andy63

andy63 Funster

Have you got a multimeter with you and how easy is it to access the switch or motor.. that would let you know if you have a supply and at least rule out fuses..
    If your weather is same as we are getting on north coast of Ireland it shouldn't be too much of a chore :)
    Ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

When ours went wrong I stripped it, cleaned it and checked the switch and it turned out there was nothing wrong it. It was the control from the Sargent electric box. Had to have it repaired by Sargent (£75)
    Mine was a 2011 Swift.
    It used stick half way, sometimes worked, mostly not. I had to get it in then not use it till repaired.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Thanks andy i have no meter but will look in morning thanks steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

As others have said - they are exposed and gather a lot of crud. Mine packed up last year and I just fiddled around and gave it a good dousing with the French equivalent of WD40 ("Le WD40") and it sprang back to life. Been fine ever since.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

Not much help but I have got the same problem I have check the fuses by the Sargent Box but all seem fine don't know if there are any other fuses in the system everything else seems to be working fine I will watch this thread.

Richard

• Like Like x 1
  7. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Will try the wd40 route thanks guys

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

(y)

I think the deal-maker was the little switch which tells the motor to stop winding when it reaches top/bottom.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

The problem I had with the Sargent box was a manufacturing fault and if it had happened within three years would have been covered. It was a problem with one of the circuit boards that over heated. No faults with fuses, wiring or switches. Worked perfectly after the box was sorted and Sargent we're very quick and helpful.
    It also affected the clean water tank level indicator, telling me it was empty when there was plenty in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

Luckily i work at a University where they study Electronic engineering. Trying to find a student who could repair the board for a bottle of the cheapest plonk available was the proverbial piece of wee wee. £125 saved. Mine was caused by gunk/crud underneath

• Like Like x 1
  11. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Hi what did they actually do regards steve

12. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

They just cleaned up the computer board and put things on it that had blown as a replacement(Sort of look like tiny lamps) Manufacturers wanted about 120 nicker for something that costs about 2 quid I should think

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ventus b

Ventus b Read Only Funster

Hi All,

I have had a similar problem and after a lot of checking found the cause. There are 2 split charging relays under the bonnet near the battery, one of these has a red/yellow wire . the relays get 12-14 volts directly from the alternator which also sends this voltage to the omnistep relay and the habitation relay via the red/yellow wire( note engine needs to be running as its voltage from the alternator).These relays are commonly available from Halfords so not expensive. When the engine is not running the step gets its power from the leisure battery so works normally. I also had a problem with the Fridge flattening the vehicle battery over night ( the fridge is fed via a 30 amp fuse from the vehicle battery and a relay accessible from the lower grill, this was stuck so the fridge was being fed with 12 volts as well as running on gas, so replaced relays and problem solved!

• Informative Informative x 1