Ominstore Automatic Step - 2006 Autotrail Tracker SE (1 Viewer)

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Like most motorhomes our habitation door step is automatically withdrawn accompanied by a loud buzzing noise should we forget to do it ourselves before setting off. Though the step switch works fine in both directions, the automatic withdrawal function has stopped working leaving a Boadicea blade extending from the pavement side of the motorhome. Not a particularly friendly situation. I have managed to secure a wiring diagram but before I begin to explore its complexities, has anyone else had this problem before and can you help me narrow down my investigation by suggesting what it might be?

I'd be most grateful. Many thanks, Jerry.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's an Omnistep it uses a simple switch to sense "step out". The switch is visible without dismantling anything and is therefore exposed to the elements. It's probably dirty or stuck. Or both :).

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Tony thank you so much for this. I've had a brief crawl in fairly horrible weather to locate the switch without any luck. I assume it is underneath the step somewhere?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you lie on the ground to the left of the step & look up under the side of the van you should see a stepped (see what I did there :)) plastic box. On the stepped part will be what may appear to be a dirty Nyloc nut. That's the switch plunger. It has a rubber shroud which makes it look like a nut. You should be able to press it upwards against its spring. If it moves freely try causing it to flick out violently - which may clean the contacts & enable it to do its job. You'll still need to remove & clean it to make it reliable.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Does the alarm still sound or has that packed in as well? If it still sounds then it could be the relay although they are generally very reliable. More likely is either the step "in position" switch or the fuse in the "engine running" feed has blown. Does your fridge work on 12V with the engine running? If so then the fuse is OK but if not I'd search for that fuse.

D.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Our step did that and it was the switch as described that was at fault.
A literal soaking of WD40 sorted out but remove the plastic cover then you can do the contacts on the wiring as well.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Some sound advice above. I too would try the fuse before crawling about under the van. The fuse I believe is located in the EM50 unit behind the drivers seat, 20A fuse no.5.
As Dave says, see if the fridge runs on 12v when engine running, if not try changing fuse, that's the cleanest job.
If fuse ok, then it's crawling on your back time as tonyidle and Keith describe.
Good luck.
Lance

Kenny M

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
Don't know if this helps. I had a faulty EM50 on my Autotrail. The 20amp fridge fuse holder had burnt away from the circuit board. I've removed the EM50 and sent it back to Sargent for repair and testing, BUT, I forgot to check the Omnistep step position before removing the EM50. It was still out!
The solution was to apply 12 volts positive and negative to SES connector pins 9 and 10. Putting positive on pin 9 and negative on pin 10 either triggers the step out or in (can't remember which) and reversing the connection by putting positive on pin 10 and negative on pin 9 triggers the step in the other direction.
The EM50 wiring diagram and pin connector information can be found on line, just google.

Regards,

Kenny M :dance2:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And in that drat EM50 is link that allows you to set if the step auto-retracts too..
Might be worth checking it has not been disturbed ( there is a diagram on the unit explaining which link does what )

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Thank you all for all of this. One question, how do I determine if the fridge is working when on 12v other than running the engine for an awfully long time?

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Um, I guess the 12v light comes on? I am so embarrassed to have posted the last question....

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
So sorry to anyone who has bothered to read this far. I feel such a fool because I cannot locate the EM50 unit on my Autotrail Tracker SE. I have found advice telling me it is located behind the driver's seat, located under the floorboards behind the driver's seat and in the wardrobe! I can't find it anywhere. Is anyone able to tell me where the darned thing is hiding? I'd be sooo grateful.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Um, I guess the 12v light comes on? I am so embarrassed to have posted the last question....

Not so silly, I think the light is probably a separate circuit because the light works whichever power source the fridge is using.

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
And the next thrilling installment.... Sargent tell me that there is no EM50 unit in my van and the electrics are located under the bonnet. It's raining....

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Just to let you know my step and fridge on similar age van packed up and was traced to a very thin black wire next to relay located near cab battery which had snapped took 3 minutes to fix as was obvious once I realized what had happened . Hope its the same for you:)

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Found the thin black wire, it's an earth lead and went to rusty looking bolt so cleaned all that up but no progress. Hey ho...

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
I am now one step closer to solving the puzzle. There is a relay in the engine compartment that is energised when the engine starts. A feed from the alternator makes a switch in the relay which then goes off to the fridge and step (and buzzer). So, when you start the engine, the buzzer sounds (if the step is out) and the step retracts. Very clever. Unfortunately, my feed from the alternator is reading 0.8volts instead of the 12v I would expect. Getting a real man in now to look at it and praying it is not the alternator or regulator. I'll keep anyone remotely interested, posted.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
You could try a temporary 12volt feed to the relay via suitable 3a fuse instead of the the alternator feed. This is to operate the relay, not supply power to step directly. This would prove all that is missing is the live feed when alternator is running, often called d+ lead.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I just had to replace my step switch after it refused to retract, very simple test to check the switch, pull both wires of and join together, start engine and see if the step moves in, if it does then it can only be the switch or very unlikely a wiring problem, just make sure there is nothing that can get trapped by the step when it moves,
there are several types of switches so make sure you get the right one,
my one cost £15 plus postage,

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Ok the end of the saga. (Don't you just hate it when people don't post the end of their stories?) When I started the engine each time to see if things were working I did so by sticking my hand through the driver's open window as I was working in the engine bay. What I have discovered is that if the engine is not "blipped" by a foot on the accelerator the alternator never moves beyond 11 volts which is not enough to trigger the relay. Once the engine has been revved once, the alternator leaps into life and all works as it should. So many hours spent trying to solve a problem that really did not exist. Many thanks to all the contributors. Jerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back