LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Having never eaten them till now I am finding them an "aquired " taste. They are supposed to be very good for you lowering "bad" cholestorol etc.
Just wondered how others get on with them. :Smile:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
pfft don't like the black uns but can tolerate the green uns not tried stuffed ones as yet. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Straight off the tree
chew for a few minutes:winky:
Let me know how well it tastes.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
At tescos deli, I'm an expert at fitting/crushing a carton and a half of olives into one carton.::bigsmile: We love em. we go through a LOT of olives at home. One of the joys of touring the Med is the Olives. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
like one or two others, i detested them but now eat them with pleasure.

pitted or stuffed (chopped jalopeno's are best)...fresh or in jars....all as tasty but the olive oil in the jars gets a bit monotonous and does affect the taste

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Wife bought some at xmas one bite broken tooth £158 dentist bill.Me I detest them even more now. (£158 is a few bottles of red wine).

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think they are yuk.

Sounds like I might like them at some stage so I will keep trying them:thumb:

They are the sort of things that I would like to like. ( if that makes sense) but, like fried eggs I can't stomach them.

I was like that with mussels but now I love them, oysters too.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yum, yum, yum :Smile: Greek Kalamata black olives are our favourites but we like most olives. I hated them for years (hated is not too strong a word they made me feel sick and I would have to spit them out) THEN I accidentally ate some Tapenade (olive paste) on some toasty bread in a restaurant. From that very moment I got more adventurous and Bob not longer got so many olives to himself :ROFLMAO:. My youngest and her boyfriend disliked them too, I advised the 'Tapenade Method' and no surprise to me, they got a real taste for them! Jane ::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Olives are soaked in a brining solution for up to a year for edible green ones.Commercially they are chemically 'greened' Black ones are chemically treated true 'black' olives are more of a deep terracotta.
I prefer the Kalamata varieties and the Queen olives.Greek marinade olives stuffed with garlic and dusted with paprika,my wife is addicted to them.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I remember trying one when I was about 5 yrs old, my Mum said I wouldn't like them - I loved them & have done ever since :thumb:

Got Alan eating them now too after many years of not liking them.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I like them wi garlic in, but then I like em anyway luvly:Smile::Smile::Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Philistine, next you will be telling us that you have never tried prawns.

The best Olives are indeed from Greece from the region of Kalamata in Messenia, southern Greece.They are large and plump and the whole town sells them, there is no end of shops devoted to the humble Olive.
The best Olive Oil comes from Corfu, so I am told.
I also remember walking along a beach on Kos and walking into a family restaurant which was run by the family in summer and in the winter they worked on the farm, harvesting the olives, which they sold in the restaurant, they were smaller and tasty, but they could not produce them on an industrial scale.
I must say that I do like the Chilli stuffed olives and Olive bread.

And before you ask, NO, they do not dip them in batter and deep fry them.,

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I know where you can gets loads of them.
Coronation Street and ask to speak to Gail McIntyre she has loads of them in her front room.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Olives are soaked in a brining solution for up to a year for edible green ones.Commercially they are chemically 'greened' Black ones are chemically treated true 'black' olives are more of a deep terracotta.
I prefer the Kalamata varieties and the Queen olives.Greek marinade olives stuffed with garlic and dusted with paprika,my wife is addicted to them.

Sorry, bigfoot, but Green Olives are non-ripened and Black Olives are ripened. True Black Olives are jet black. The deep terracotta olives are just another species - usually smaller.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just wondering whether anyone else has either gone off, or suddenly found a liking for, different foods at different stages in their lives?

I've always loved olives, any colour, any stuffing, hot or cold will do for me. I always loved pies too - until I reached the grand old age of 40 which is when 'pie heartburn' kicked in for the first time. Still love 'em, but can't eat them without a handy bottle of Gaviscon at my side.

Then, when I reached 50 my previous loathing of sweet pudding wines not only disappeared, but was miraculously replaced by an abiding love for the things.

Once thing hasn't changed though. The deep hatred of all milk puddings instilled in me at school has never left, and never will I hope. Even the thought of a baked custard can get me retching to this day.

Still love olives though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back