Older style Freighter 600 Trailer conversion help needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by champers, May 10, 2010.

1. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Can anyone advise please ... we had this trailer as part of the deal when we purchased our new to us m/h recently, it is the older style trailer with a roller door coming down to the bottom, no vents of any sort... my thought is that if we can get ventilation into it we could bring our two gsd dogs to the meets - as there would be no kennel fees it would let us attend more often...yippee

My question is has anyone done this already? if so what did they use and where was it purchased from, this is needed urgently as we are at Newbury and need to get the dogs comfortable with this before then...

Yes our dogs could travel in the m/h supposedly, but they do lose so much hair :Doh::Doh::Doh:

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

My cat travels everywhere with me in the motorhome...so you get some hair in there....get the hoover out and a stiff brush...would you put your children in a trailer behind your motorhome???.:Doh:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Jim uses a trailer for his pooch.

dont know much about it apart from its divided into kennel and cargo with, i think, power ventilation. electric fans to me and thee :BigGrin:

if i remember correctly its around 5ft wide, 6ft long and 5 or 6ft high....aluminium bodied with double rear doors and appears very strong.

looks a very expensive bit of kit though.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and why not ?

that way they can sulk and squabble all they like and it wont distract you. :Rofl1:

5. champers

Thank you for your comment, but two large german shepherd dogs is no comparison to a cat which the latter could sit easily on a persons knee or in a small travelling crate IMHO also i am not talking about some hair but the canine can lose a vast diff to a cat lol ... I am a dog person so hair loss does not worry me, but their safety is an issue.. thank you for your input

6. champers

Wow I am shattered at your comment, how can you compare two german shepherds in a m/h to a feline?? hair .... that doesnt bother me i am a dog person, their safety travelling concerns me far more as it should you as an animal carer ... this is a new venture for my dogs, or was... I dont think it may be worth the bother or criticism perhaps putting them in kennels is the best place :Blush:

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have you seen how trailers bounce around behind a motorhome,would you realy want 2 German shepherds subjected to that trauma in the dark,without there owner to comfort them.Why do you think they put safety chains or breakaway chains on trailers?.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

9. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Cruelty?

Ever noticed how they transport horses?

10. champers

Thank you Jim, I couldnt recall find this Companys name... I have purchased some things off them in the past:thumb:

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

I wonder if its possible to get one of those for SWMBO :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Jim
    :Wink:

12. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Bravery?

Probably is, but how are you going to get SWMBO into it?
    Might manage to trick her into it once, but will you survive letting her out or getting her in a second time? (You were going to let her out again . . . weren't you?)

13. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thats a point, how can she make the tea when she's locked in the trailer. I need too rethink that one :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Jim
    :Wink:

14. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Fit a mini kitchen in the trailer with a letterbox type serving hatch so she can pass out the scran and brews when they are ready :thumb::thumb:

15. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

16. olley

olley Funster

I went to a dog show couple of years back when my mate was showing his ridgeback, plenty of those dog trailers there, so I can't see a problem.

Olley

17. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Blimey! Kath is taking the doghouse with her - Good luck John we'll be thinking of you :Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Kath, aluminum vents on the top and bottom of the sidewalls with sliding Map vents inside. The roof will probably need insulating to stop the box overheating. A false floor could be fitted to allow some separate storage space. Anchor points fitted to the floor for attaching to the dogs harness. must be a 4 wheel trailer if dogs are to travel inside. Add a Mesh with door inside the roller shutter.
    Jim travels with rocky in the RV, he then uses the trailer once on site. In the motorhome or trailer the dogs must have harnesses. If you have problems bring it down to me and I'll do the alterations for you. No problem.