Older Hymer Windscreens

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by scotjimland, Mar 25, 2014.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'm looking to buy an older Hymer A Class.. probably pre 1995

One of my concerns is the cost and more important the availability of the windscreen..
    Cost can be covered by insurance, but if difficult to source or have to wait a few weeks or more, could be a real headache if abroad ..

To this end I wrote to Hambilton Engineering Limited and posed the question.. do they stock and how much..

This is their reply..

I haven't contacted any of the suggested companies.. Am I right to be concerned.. or am I worrying for no reason..

has anyone had any experience of having to source a new screen for an older Hymer.. ?

If these are difficult to source I may have to rethink .. :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi Jim, It may be a good idea to try to find out from what commercial vehicle the screen originated from. Its unlikely that Hymer would have a screen specially made for there vehicles, and more likely they would source from an existing vehicle. Many main agents do not like disclosing this information as they like to keep things exclusive. Hence the price.
    For example my RMB screen comes from the Iveco Superstar truck.
    A classic example of this was when my Lotus Europa blew its gearbox and Mangoletsi wanted more than the car was worth to replace it. I found out it was from a Renault.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

4. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Jim,
    I know replacement windscreens for my N+B Arto 69G are available from Niesmann Bischoff in Polch Germany and are supplied through Travelworld in UK
    It might be worth giving Travelworld a ring and see what they say

Norman

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Would Hymer themselves be able to help and tell you the original truck windscreen? Just a thought.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I was informed that the screen for the early Hymers was a Mercedes van unit put in upside down!
    I did see a 508 screen and it was the correct proportions.

8. BgClick

BgClick Funster

I was also told this last year when auto glass replaced the windscreen in Marge, a 1997 Hymer

9. scotjimland

that is reassuring.. thanks

10. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We have acquired a few minor chips on our Conc this last few weeks and we already had two repairs. I'm led to believe that no more than three repairs are permissible. Our windscreen and quarterlights are made by Olimpia a Turkish Glass company. Both have serial numbers etched on the glass. There are windscreens to be found on ebay Germany but you need to be sure or better still over there.

http://www.olimpia.com.tr/en/

The opening side windows are made by Ship Car

http://www.ship-car.com

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

A few weeks ago I had an Autoglas technician call to fix a chip in the car windscreen. Talking to him whilst the sealant was curing, we got on to the subject of motorhome screens (the van was parked right behind the car) and he said that they are able to source just about anything. He did not seem to think the Hymer screen was anything particularly unusual although mine is a 2003 model and I realise it's probably different to the pre late 90's style.

12. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My last van (about to be advertised) was a 1990 Tabbert FFB 570 Classic. I had the cracked screen replaced by Autoglass 5 or 6 years ago who sourced it in Germany. They had to get the cost (£2300) authorised by my insurance company & there was a delay of around 3 weeks from me approaching Autoglass to the screen being fitted. There were no snags & no mention of any difficulty obtaining one. A wait for a replacement shouldn't be a problem - they normally crack & the vehicle is still useable.

I'd ask Autoglass about sourcing a screen for your potential purchase - if breakage is covered by UK insurance it's odds-on that's who will be doing the job.

13. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

our first motorhome was a k reg hymer, with a chip, autoglass came out and said its prob best not to try and repair as it would be fine but if we did need a new one getting one would not be a problem ,just take a week.

14. moonman

moonman Read Only Funster

I had the front of my 1999 Hymer reprayed and they broke the windscreen during the re-instal. A replacement was quickly sourced thro a local company (I believe its the same as fitted to some ambulances) and fitted.
    Since then I've seen some windscreens for older Hymers on ebay.de.