LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have been doing a little looking and have become interested in changing my Van.

Mainly as again our circumstances have changed and we have two bigger kids. But also looking a little further in to the future of them being with us less.

I want a german van. My first choice is (was) a Burstner 747 then that went to the 850 but alas if I park it at home it will only just fit on the drive, and at 8.5 meters Nikki thinks it too big.
What I would really like is an A class. In particular the Burstner elegance, but alas even pushing the boat out I can just about get a 2003 model in my price range. Then again the length is a little too long for Nikki (anyone would think she drives it)

So, the next thing that I like is the Hymer 754. which is 7.54M so only half a meter bigger than we have. Its the bar version layout, with a wealth of extras from solar panels to on board Genny. Nikki is not quite convinced but likes the idea of her own bedroom and Im pretty sure the layout would work.

This Hymer falls in to our price range but, it is older than what we have. In fact it is 10 years old now, not that you would know and the milage is low.

So the other oprion would be for the same price we could get something new by a couple of years in a c class but obviously not German.

So Older van V Newer Van?

where do we go from here.?

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Haggers
I've got a Hymer on ebay for £18000 you can see all the specs on funsters clasified Hymer Camp 546, 2003,42000 miles, 1 years MOT

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have been doing a little looking and have become interested in changing my Van.

Mainly as again our circumstances have changed and we have two bigger kids. But also looking a little further in to the future of them being with us less.

I want a german van. My first choice is (was) a Burstner 747 then that went to the 850 but alas if I park it at home it will only just fit on the drive, and at 8.5 meters Nikki thinks it too big.
What I would really like is an A class. In particular the Burstner elegance, but alas even pushing the boat out I can just about get a 2003 model in my price range. Then again the length is a little too long for Nikki (anyone would think she drives it)

So, the next thing that I like is the Hymer 754. which is 7.54M so only half a meter bigger than we have. Its the bar version layout, with a wealth of extras from solar panels to on board Genny. Nikki is not quite convinced but likes the idea of her own bedroom and Im pretty sure the layout would work.

This Hymer falls in to our price range but, it is older than what we have. In fact it is 10 years old now, not that you would know and the milage is low.

So the other oprion would be for the same price we could get something new by a couple of years in a c class but obviously not German.

So Older van V Newer Van?

where do we go from here.?

Haganap..........................Me I would go for it ......the Hymer Tag 754....NICE.....the body shape is still modern looking in fact some of the 2011 motorhome models do not look much different.......I looked at the new Hymers at the Paris show.....URG...and a lot of the Germans I have spoken to in the last couple of years are not impressed with the new Hymers....the shape of a BRICK............

low milage.......1st class condition......GO FOR IT :thumb:

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some French sites, having banned tag axle trailer caravans for years, now seem to be extending the ban to tag axle motorhomes. Not a problem if you don't stay on them of course.
Don't know the reason, possibly due to damaging the grass, though if there is any grass it must be a rotten summer:roflmto:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
depends on the truck

The world is really your lobster on this one.
We would say the truck that has been looked after and not meddled with will always beat going for a year of make.
So it could be 10 yrs old but been loving looked after, or 5 years old and not serviced or cared for.

Which is how we really chose our motorhome, there were two both Merc based Auto-trail Cheyenne`s one on a 51 plate the other on 56 the 51 plate was in so much better condition inside and under the bonnet like new.
So we took the older reg but got in our opinion a much better deal and motorhome. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have no knowledge of the models you refer to but I am a firm believer in condition and "feel" over age.

I smile when I hear that a ten year old motorhome is old! If only I could afford such luxury. ::bigsmile:

Can you still get spares?

Has it been regularly serviced?

Is the inside in good nick?

Are you buying it to use?

My two vehicles are ancient... the Wagon has done 260,000 kms and has never run better. It has, however, been well looked after from new (mechanically). I don't worry about the outside appearance (as you know.)

My Hymer 660 is 24 years old... has 130,000 kms (ish) and runs like a (slow) sewing machine. Inside and out it is beautiful and, unlike its owner, everything in it and on it works. Again it has been serviced regardless of cost (as they say.)

A good friend of mine hates old things and replaces perfectly sound things simply because they are old. I just don't get it!

If you, the Boss and the mini Bosses want it I say forget the age, buy it and enjoy...

JJ :Cool:

Health Warning. Please use any advice in this post with extreme caution... :winky:

PS. Remember that the money you save on the older vehicle allows you spend more on touring (and sliding down freezing mountain sides.)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Haganap,
Firstly an admission of total bias - we love our Hymer. We decided just over 4 years ago that our first (and probably only motorhome) would be a Hymer. We had spent ages looking at new Dethleffs and N+B Artos at the NEC and soon realised a good older purchase would be a lot more sensible for us (it's a 2003 model).
The 754 you are considering is quite a bit bigger than ours (which is 6.41 metres) but the vintage is similar and the build quality is excellent. I think the internal cupboards etc. will be the same design and quality. Provided the base vehicle has been looked after, it should do many more miles than most of us are able to achieve. I guess key things are proper engine servicing, (Fiat cam belt changes etc. - not something we have to consider as ours is a Sprinter), and if on the Alko chassis, that the rear suspension has been lubricated annually.
So long as the interior has been cared for, the only area I can think of where an older Hymer might show its age compared with a newer vehicle is possible degradation of plastics. It applies to any MH, but they can get brittle and, of course, will tend to yellow with age. Pretty much everything can be replaced, but Hymer parts are not cheap.

If you see an older Hymer you like, I would unhesitatingly say go for it in preference to a newer, lesser brand. Last summer I was shown over a much older S660 at a camping municipale in SW France. It had a rear lounge layout that they had turned into a fixed bed, but it was a lovely vehicle with lots of extras and looked as if it had been constructed with the "Battle of the Bulge" in mind. The owner was moving out there and said he would probably sell it before long - he thought about £12k would be a fair price.

Final thought - if you are looking to the future when there will be just the two of you, do you really need the size of a 754? Ours has a rear bedroom, central lounge layout, and whilst it might be nice to have a bit more lounging room, the reality is that most of the time we use the front seats swivelled for lounging and the pull-down front bed to store spare bedding etc. We have been away for long weekends with both adult children and yes, it was a bit cramped, but we all managed. We have also been away for week-long holidays with just one of them and it was not a problem. You might usefully extend your search to include the 7 metre B644G/614 layout that will give you most of the 754's space benefits without the twin axle and extra length. Or the B680 which is a similar layout on a Sprinter chassis (but that will tend to be more expensive).

Hope this helps.

Philip

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi as you know I am a RV driver and do not profess to know about euro motor homes, but I am an ex motor trader and vehicle dealer, also a motor enginner by trade.

For resale as stupid as it seems there is no substitute for year letter.

In reality though for Personal use 100% buy on quality and condition not year, if it was 20 years old and fitted my needs I would own over a three year old one all day long, some people are snobs and need big or exspensive to proove somthing (though I am not sure what).

If I saw a RV I preffered over mine and it was 10years older I would buy it and sell mine, the other thing to remember is if it is cheaper thats the most you can loose.

The thing to look at is JJ Iveco does just what he wants it to do and stands him a hell of a lot less than my HR stands me, they both do the same thing very well, horses for courses.

Hope this helps the thought process a little and has not just given you more to think about.

All the best Rick.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just a follow on from my above reply....I think Nikki is correct...I have read-seen or heard somewhere, that France they was thinking or it is already in force of putting a limit on the length at 7.5m.....on camping-cars / Motororhomes on aires......this could have been one of our members threads maybe one of Niggles past threads or some other forum or people we have spoken to in France on our travels .....no... come to think of it .....it was not one of niggle's threads ..it was before niggles he became a member in 2010.....
You like the Aires in France like me and many others....and you also know some of the best Aires do not always have the best and easy access.....so by even thinking of the lovely BURSTNER ELEGANCE......you are cutting you options down.......what a lovely shaped styled Motorhome Mmmmm...now back to reality, are you wanting a motorhome to stop on campsites in Spain, Portugal, Morocco, or skiing over the winter and campsites in the UK over the summer for weeks on end...well the cheapest option is a car and caravan.....if you have well stocked pockets then a large motorhome would be nice, if you have large stocked pockets and a big lump on the hip (wallet full) then a large Motorhome and a Toad would be very nice.........Mmmmmmm wake up Mel...UPS sorry just dreaming...if you like touring then there is a compromise, nothing is perfect.......do you want to limit yourself to large sites, show grounds or just parked up on the drive...That is what you have to ask yourself. decent economy. go anywhere, into towns and markets shopping.......I know what I would like "BUT" I know what I would buy and I just have...max 7.5m
Me I have just purchased a 7.4 A class Motorhome...I have given this some thought over the years what is the best size...nothing is perfect...I also think a large-ish boot is essential, keep everything inside out of other people's vision,.....even if you could get on most of Aires in France....I don't think your fellow campers would be to pleased with you blocking there view with your extra 2m + sticking past every other Motorhome!!!????...you will be banned like the Gennies brigade...ups that me one of the Genny brigade:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is Just my opinion.........

Hymer ....the Age.. if is is sound underneath and well looked after inside and excellent outside and the engine is good, has been serviced every year, and tyres are are good..... age is no problem......I have seen beautiful old Hymers, older than what you are talking about and can still pull a crowd of on lookers in original and resprayed to look totally different

Mel[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just a follow on from my above reply....I think Nikki is correct...I have read-seen or heard somewhere, that France they was thinking or it is already in force of putting a limit on the length at 7.5m.....on camping-cars / Motororhomes on aires......this could have been one of our members threads maybe one of Niggles past threads or some other forum or people we have spoken to in France on our travels .....no... come to think of it .....it was not one of niggle's threads ..it was before niggles he became a member in 2010.....
You like the Aires in France like me and many others....and you also know some of the best Aires do not always have the best and easy access.....so by even thinking of the lovely BURSTNER ELEGANCE......you are cutting you options down.......what a lovely shaped styled Motorhome Mmmmm...now back to reality, are you wanting a motorhome to stop on campsites in Spain, Portugal, Morocco, or skiing over the winter and campsites in the UK over the summer for weeks on end...well the cheapest option is a car and caravan.....if you have well stocked pockets then a large motorhome would be nice, if you have large stocked pockets and a big lump on the hip (wallet full) then a large Motorhome and a Toad would be very nice.........Mmmmmmm wake up Mel...UPS sorry just dreaming...if you like touring then there is a compromise, nothing is perfect.......do you want to limit yourself to large sites, show grounds or just parked up on the drive...That is what you have to ask yourself. decent economy. go anywhere, into towns and markets shopping.......I know what I would like "BUT" I know what I would buy and I just have...max 7.5m
Me I have just purchased a 7.4 A class Motorhome...I have given this some thought over the years what is the best size...nothing is perfect...I also think a large-ish boot is essential, keep everything inside out of other people's vision,.....even if you could get on most of Aires in France....I don't think your fellow campers would be to pleased with you blocking there view with your extra 2m + sticking past every other Motorhome!!!????...you will be banned like the Gennies brigade...ups that me one of the Genny brigade:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is Just my opinion.........

Hymer ....the Age.. if is is sound underneath and well looked after inside and excellent outside and the engine is good, has been serviced every year, and tyres are are good..... age is no problem......I have seen beautiful old Hymers, older than what you are talking about and can still pull a crowd of on lookers in original and resprayed to look totally different

Mel
[/QUOTE]

we have a toad that we use from time to time, and we have seen aires that have two barriers, When you drive up to the first one, the second one comes down behind you. Consequently you have to be less than 8 meters to fit.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Elegance is a big bus. We were looking at one recently but too much £££'s. We have a Burstner Aviano and it might be worth looking at that model. They retail about £20k less than the Elegance. If I can find a pic I will post one. This is it.

You need to be careful though. The van shown is a 2008 model selling then for £47 -50k. This one is now 3 years old with 22k on the clock and they want the same money for it. That is because they are now £68,000 or something close to it because of the weak £. On the other hand the dealer we spoke to only offered us £35k with 11k 0n the clock......

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back