olden days (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Would spend my "tattie picking" money on these (y)
bang.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Talking of Radio Caroline do you remember DJs talking to the fans who were flashing their car lights from the coast? I bet there were a few more things being flashed at the DJs with their binoculars out no doubt.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Talking of Radio Caroline do you remember DJs talking to the fans who were flashing their car lights from the coast? I bet there were a few more things being flashed at the DJs with their binoculars out no doubt.
Remember it well, 11pm and it was "kiss in the car time to Percy Sledge".
The light thing began when a DJ wanted to communicate with the vessel, he flashed his lights in morse code, they then could confirm his message back to him, and that is how it came about.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Got the school bus from Newhey to Chadderton Grammar through Shaw and Royton from 1960 to 1964, we lived at Milnrow at the time. Family then moved to the other side of Rochdale and I had to make my own way on the 24 bus from Rochdale to the top of Burnley Lane on Broadway until I got a motorbike when I was sixteen.Sometimes met mates in the North Star for a beer or two and walked home to Rochdale more than once.......happy days:)

We lived in Chadderton before moving to the bungalow and I used to get either the 24 or 2 from Broadway/Middleton Road to Shaw Road End to attend St. Aidan's & Oswald RC School in Royton!:laughing: Often had to walk across Broadway from Royton in the thick fog! My friends all attended Chadderton Grammar School!

Although Chadderton Grammar School was a top school we catholics weren't allowed to attend (by the church!) so I had to take the No 9 (from Wren's Nest) to Rochdale Road, Royton (Shaw Rd End), then the No 2 or 24 to Stevenson Square in Manchester at 07:15, in all weathers, walk across Piccadilly and take the bus to Moss Side! (Can't remember right now the number!) To Loreto Convent High School in Moss Side! Did this for 8 years as I passed 11 plus at 10! :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Not a real "oldie" memory but who remembers "decimalisation day" ? :rock:
I had a Saturday job in a hairdressers, I loved the new money and found it really easy. Lots of the old dears who came in for a "shampoo and set" really struggled. There's a thing, shampoo and set ha ha

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bet you a tanner if you started a new thread on valves someone would come up with one!

My Dad used to fix televisions in his spare time and I can remember him asking me to go into Glasgow and get a Mullard valve from an old electrical spares shop. I am sure it was a PCL81.......I remember the shop, the men wore those brown coats/overalls, like the staff in old hardware shops. It was probably around 1969/1970........the shop was demolished long ago.

Don't even mention soldering irons.......I loved the smell of solder when my Dad used his to solder something inside the back of an old tv(y)

Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back