Old Tech isn't necessarily bad...... (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just replaced the Carburettor on my 440 Dodge (Charger) motored RV.

She was running rough and erratic.the consequence of which the fuel consumption was up.:Doh:

Bit the bullet and bought a Brand new Edelbrock alloy 4 barrel carb from a seller in Sussex.

Read the blurb and watched the videos on the disc supplied which said it would run straight out of the box with only minor adjustment later to mixtures etc.:ROFLMAO:

So,sceptical as ever, I fitted it....having to mod and remake some of the auto transmission and accelerator brackets to adapt to it.

Turned the key Sunday evening and after a couple of revolutions the motor sprang to life.....

She's like a new motor now.Running smooth and starting first time.

Absolutely delighted and would recommend their carbs wholeheartedly.:thumb:

Low tech works for me.::bigsmile:

BTW The coil from a mini cooper works a treat.Just bought a new one.

Got the rest of the exhaust from Carolina classics and it is all on now.Sprayed with heat resistant silver paint.Slightly bigger to accomodate the exhaust gas flow.

Can highly recommend them if you need parts.Got the exhaust made after i sent them the drawings by email in 3 days flat.:Cool:

Just the distributor next and then........Just love it.

Last edited:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
well done AD ::bigsmile:

mine is still not running! this van was supposed to get me to Cornwall a few weeks ago...

have double checked everything and all that can be wrong are signal coils within the dizzy :(

have some secondhand ones coming today/tomorrow.

:cry::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
well done AD ::bigsmile:

mine is still not running! this van was supposed to get me to Cornwall a few weeks ago...

have double checked everything and all that can be wrong are signal coils within the dizzy :(

have some secondhand ones coming today/tomorrow.

:cry::ROFLMAO:

Sorry to hear that John.

I remember you saying you were going away to Cornwall...Thought you'd made it ok.

You'd be surprised how cheap you can get a new dizzy from the States now the exchange rate is a little more reasonable...

What's the problem..

Please PM me if you want?I will always try to assist if I can.

Us classic enthusiasts with a Hands-on approach are becoming fewer.

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Steve..

It dies completely after a few seconds of running,,, the worst carb in the world would be unlikely to die so suddenenly.. have rebuilt it and rechecked float height a few times in last fortnight..

fuel pressure and capacity from pump fine, fuel flammable.. changed the main HEI coil...

checked wires/ inputs to Dizzy...

It can only really be a pickup/signal coil.. have one coming tonight hopefully ::bigsmile: and a spare rochester for a few quid ;)

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Steve..

It dies completely after a few seconds of running,,, the worst carb in the world would be unlikely to die so suddenenly.. have rebuilt it and rechecked float height a few times in last fortnight..

fuel pressure and capacity from pump fine, fuel flammable.. changed the main HEI coil...

checked wires/ inputs to Dizzy...

It can only really be a pickup/signal coil.. have one coming tonight hopefully ::bigsmile: and a spare rochester for a few quid ;)

Hi John,

I had similar problems.Totally overhauling the fuel system here as the last thing iI need is unreliability.The carb has totally transformed it.

I am going to put a Filter king in line with my New carb.

It's recommended to have a max fuel pressure of 6 PSI into the carb and has been mentioned that mechanical pumps can often deliver more.

Hope you sort it.

Keep in touch.:thumb:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
oh yeah ::bigsmile:

this chevy aint ever ran as well as this! the day before the post stops, at the door is a package containing a spare carb and a spare dizzy.. replaced the signal coil sitting in the dizzy with the spare! OMG

!!

:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back