Free Member
Oct 11, 2013
Dumfriesshire and Cheshir
Funster No
MH
Narrowboat
Exp
39 years on land and water
I'd like to introduce myself. It am Keith P and have since I was 17 either motorcar advanced or narrow boated over the last 39 years. I am in my late 50s and after a series of bumps, bangs, and accidents have decided to tie the boat up for good and get back on the road for the next twenty years or so. I have always been a bit of a DIY and have over the years fitted out a couple of motor caravans - always choosing interesting donor vehicles, and have fitted and refitted Narrowboats. In an ideal world I'd like to be on water but my health is no longer robust enough for towing boats through flights of locks if the engine missbehaves, nor carrying mountains of shopping along the towpath. When I was 20-30-40-50 none of the above were a problem but breaking back (twice), shoulder, ribs, and other assorted bits have left me needing a mode of transport/holiday that I can park outside my house and supermarket.
My first motorhome was a Commer with a coach built body and this spoiled me for anything small and bijou. Back in the days before touring coaches finished their lives finished their lives as racing car transporters and homes for 'travellers,' I made a nice six berth motorhome out of a Leyland coach. This I sold, bought the bare shell and fitted out a 40' four berth canal boat.
An American School Bus (bright yellow with a big bonnet) made a rather pretty four berth motorhome. When I sold it to a pal he lived in it for five years before it was converted back to a bus.
My final job - so I thought - was to buy an ex timeshare Narrowboat (a Q4 for those in the know). I put a brand new bottom and sides on it in 2012 and moved aboard in a delightful mooring in Cheshire, no more than three hours from my house in Dumfriesshire. Had it not been for my accidents, my plan was to be on the boat as much as possible, only going home if the weather turned Arctic. That was early 2012. I had a month out enjoying the northern 'Ring' taking in Cheshire, Shropshire, the West Midlands, Staffordshire, the Potteries and so on until I had a serious fall. Since then, I've pottered around the marina having an excellent time in good company but feeling more and more the need for a motorhome so that I can travel.So that's where I am. I have put my boat on the market. As soon as it goes, I'll buy a (readimade this time) motorhome and will be able to get the mobility thing as well as the camaraderie that both boating and caravanning have given me nearly forty years of. I don't want to do any hard work or DIY so as soon as the boat and I part company, I'll be able to holiday from day one. I am not frightened of size - I have a bus licence and a lorry licence and that seems to help from a purchaser's point of view. So, that's me in terms of caravan/boat. I am interested in music, play a little bit of piano, like computer science as a hobby, love food and when I have a motorhome, will plan a good bash around the Med. all the times I have been in boat or motorhome, I have never spent time alone - I am a sociable type and would rather take folk around than hog my good luck. So, if anyone knows of an interesting motorhome coming on the market through or after the winter, or someone that's had enough of the black tarmacky stuff and fancies the wet splashy stuff, point them in my direction. I hate to admit it but I cannot remember the names of the couple I met at Great. Haywood Junction last summer who extolled the virtues of this site's forums. If Barbara and Dave who had Sunday lunch with me on the Staffs & Worcs and told me about here are reading this,thanks for the heads up but I'm sorry I couldn't find the USB stick with your details on. Please get in touch again through here so we can do the Paris nighttime tour on land and water if we can get there at the same time. That's enough for now. I'd be delighted to make some new pals on the highways and byways.
Cheers for Now

Keith P

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi,interesting reading,so a warm welcome from us up here and enjoy the rest of your travel,s when you have found the right MH for your needs,Cheers:thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Loved your post! Welcome and hope your plans come together!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
A brilliant intro Keith - welcome! :thumb:

:france:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Keith, welcome to Fun, I know what you mean about a boat becoming too much to handle !

To get the most out of Fun you need to Link Removed << and come to some of the meets:thumb:

Good luck

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a very detailed and informative introduction for a change ...thank you and welcome to the FUN !

as Peter (John's cross) said....pay the subs...become a full member and benefit from helpful advice on almost any subject :RollEyes: and even discounts from some trade members, including Peter.

best tenner you'll ever spend

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, a fair few boating types on here some old salts as well as freshwater. One thing puzzles me about your post, what were you called up until the age of 17 and why did you change it.
I expect I read it wrong never mind now you have the joys of campering to look forward to.:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hi and welcome from Leicestershire, :thumb: A very interesting post, at least you can say you have done it and got the t.shirt, many just say and don`t do.:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You're a bit of a goer, just made for a FUN meet.

We've some excellent guitarists, banjo but no keyboard. Get organised and be ready to party next year.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Keith, great intro, welcome to the fun :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.