Old Hymer Battery Charging... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yesterday I had to buy and fit a new starter battery to my beloved classic Hymer (1987 660).

It had started perfectly ten/twelve days ago but was completely flat (10 volts) at the next starting attempt. With nothing other than the dashboard clock drawing power I diagnosed a dead battery.

We had plugged the Hymer into a hookup overnight and it did not charge up the flat battery at all.

Am I right to assume that when plugged into the mains the starting battery gets charged up as well as the habitation bateries?

JJ

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am I right to assume that when plugged into the mains the starting battery gets charged up as well as the habitation bateries?

JJ

Hi JJ

very unlikely unless it has been modded ..

easy to check with a multimeter..
check voltage at battery before and after connecting EHU. should see it rise from ≈ 12v to ≈ 13.5v

jim

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ as Jim says very unlikely to charge both / look on the control panel you may have the facility to switch charging from starter to leisure ?
If not buy a charger from Aldi x5 auto charger £12 or Tronic from Lidl - both 3 stage and both been on offer lately so they may still have stock.Both basically the same as C-TEC @ £45 ish.Very good value for money :thumb: and you can leave them on all the time without damage to anything :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi JJ as Jim says very unlikely to charge both / look on the control panel you may have the facility to switch charging from starter to leisure ?
If not buy a charger from Aldi x5 auto charger £12 or Tronic from Lidl - both 3 stage and both been on offer lately so they may still have stock.Both basically the same as C-TEC @ £45 ish.Very good value for money :thumb: and you can leave them on all the time without damage to anything :thumb:
terry
never seen one down here, still waiting for you to send me one Terry. (payment by return post)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
never seen one down here, still waiting for you to send me one Terry. (payment by return post)

Forgot Roger :Doh: :ROFLMAO: good job I bought 2 the other week :thumb: send me your address again and I will forward 1 to you FOC no payment necessary - look on it as a xmas pressy ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks guys... I am quite relieved to learn that it is not meant to charge both batteries... I was worried I had a fault in some ancient piece of equipment on the old girl.

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Old Hymer Battery Charging

A lot of people fear a fault in some ancient piece of equipment on the old girl.

Fear not , old boy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back