Old Hymer Battery Charging...

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by JJ, Nov 13, 2009.

1. JJ

JJ Funster

Yesterday I had to buy and fit a new starter battery to my beloved classic Hymer (1987 660).

It had started perfectly ten/twelve days ago but was completely flat (10 volts) at the next starting attempt. With nothing other than the dashboard clock drawing power I diagnosed a dead battery.

We had plugged the Hymer into a hookup overnight and it did not charge up the flat battery at all.

Am I right to assume that when plugged into the mains the starting battery gets charged up as well as the habitation bateries?

JJ

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi JJ

very unlikely unless it has been modded ..

easy to check with a multimeter..
    check voltage at battery before and after connecting EHU. should see it rise from ≈ 12v to ≈ 13.5v

jim

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi JJ as Jim says very unlikely to charge both / look on the control panel you may have the facility to switch charging from starter to leisure ?
    If not buy a charger from Aldi x5 auto charger £12 or Tronic from Lidl - both 3 stage and both been on offer lately so they may still have stock.Both basically the same as C-TEC @ £45 ish.Very good value for money :thumb: and you can leave them on all the time without damage to anything :thumb:
    terry

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

never seen one down here, still waiting for you to send me one Terry. (payment by return post)

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Forgot Roger :Doh: :Rofl1: good job I bought 2 the other week :thumb: send me your address again and I will forward 1 to you FOC no payment necessary - look on it as a xmas pressy :BigGrin:
    terry

6. JJ

JJ Funster

Thanks guys... I am quite relieved to learn that it is not meant to charge both batteries... I was worried I had a fault in some ancient piece of equipment on the old girl.

JJ

7. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Old Hymer Battery Charging

A lot of people fear a fault in some ancient piece of equipment on the old girl.

Fear not , old boy