Okay Left Hooker - How do you cope (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Big shallow Teflon coated pan with a glass lid. Put on low gas ring,perfect for finishing off part baked bread.
How often do you cook a Sunday roast whilst away in the van....or for that matter how often do you bake a cake.
Ovens are a complete waste of space in a MH. If you cant possibly live without one get a halogen oven.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Big shallow Teflon coated pan with a glass lid. Put on low gas ring,perfect for finishing off part baked bread.
How often do you cook a Sunday roast whilst away in the van....or for that matter how often do you bake a cake.
Ovens are a complete waste of space in a MH. If you cant possibly live without one get a halogen oven.

Now come on Daves my sundays are legionary as you know:winky:

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wish:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
as someone who uses our oven alot,i would consider a motorhome without one incomplete,how the hell do you cook an FB pie without an oven?::bigsmile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have a SMEV oven in our van - I never use it - it heats up the whole van too much!

I do roast beef and roast potatoes on my Weber BBQ! Perfect results!!:thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All our oven does is add weight !!
It has not been used since new. I did fire it up once just to make sure it worked but thats about it

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You don't beed and oven John, just get a Double Skillet for when you're not on hookup and a Remoska for when you are. Sorted:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no oven...no problem

We have a combi microwave unit if we need an oven.. the double skillet works fine.. on our second one now ..1st one over 25 years ago. we also use the Cobb outside.. that can bake, fry, griddle etc., never had the need for an oven on an RV or european in 20 plus years John.. waste of space. Plenty of other ways to get round the problem.

Bob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I learned a long time ago that a large heavy bottomed Teflon coated pan with a glass lid does exactly the same as an oven.
What I do use a lot is my slow cooker, I have a separate 500 watt inverter wired to the engine battery and when traveling long distances load the slow cooker before leaving and then plug into the inverter,hot meal when i stop. Also on the rare occasions that I have hookup I use it all the time.
I also have the halogen oven instead of a microwave, it does the same job only better. Regarding FB pies...............Errrrr cant think of anything that I would want to do with one except use it as a frisbee.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I personally would not be without the oven ::bigsmile:I cook all sorts in it (what ever the wife tells me to :winky:) Had vans without one in which we used the Ramoska :thumb: STILL USE IT IN THIS ONE AS WELL-the only thing I find we do not need is a Microwave ::bigsmile: then again at home we only use that for my milky coffee first thing in the morning ::bigsmile:
terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if you have to MAKE do to get around not haveing a oven then your van is incomplete,bit like saying i dont need a sink as i can make do with a washing up bowl:RollEyes:,if it aint got four ring's a full grill,and an oven its a incomplete motorhome.
And as far as FB pies go,the best thing ever invented for the motorhomer:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You don't beed and oven John, just get a Double Skillet for when you're not on hookup and a Remoska for when you are. Sorted:thumb:

We have a Remoska. Good bit of kit.

Never use our oven.

reggit

Free Member
May 19, 2011
herefordshire
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
since 2008
we also use a remoska, have made cakes , roast dinners, baked spuds, all as good if not better than in the oven never ,so impressed even bought one to use at home
only use the oven to store things in for travelling:Smile:
reggit

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We always use our oven i love to cook home made pizzas, avocado topping is the fave at the moment::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
never been in a situation where iv had to eat soggy cardboard, so cant compare it to a FB pie:winky:
so how do you cook a 5lb chicken,roast spud's,roast parsnip's,roast onion,and yorkshire pud and apple pie all at the same time without a oven???
5 romoska at the same time?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
On the wild channel this has been suggested

Link Removed

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
never been in a situation where iv had to eat soggy cardboard, so cant compare it to a FB pie:winky:
so how do you cook a 5lb chicken,roast spud's,roast parsnip's,roast onion,and yorkshire pud and apple pie all at the same time without a oven???
5 romoska at the same time?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And cooking for six people every meal, like we do?

The wheeled kitchen has to do everything that the concrete foundation one does.
Full oven, four burners, steamer, wok, griddle plate, pasta machine and lots of very sharp knives :thumb:

It's not like you're on holiday, after all :Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
as someone who uses our oven alot,i would consider a motorhome without one incomplete,how the hell do you cook an FB pie without an oven?::bigsmile:

I use mine too - roast chicken, lovely (and gravy). Still waiting to try an FB though...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Have to say am often tempted to go onto the drive and cook stuff in the motorhome oven as frankly, the regulo numbers have long sice worn off our cooker and it's hit and miss. We have a combi microwave in the house which is great as a fan oven but as said by someone else, not big enough to do two things. And then you go to use the microwave as a microwave and whatever it is, gets baked as well as zapped with the residual heat.

The oven doesn't get used mega lots in the heat of summer as the grill is brilliant so can do chops, steaks etc on that very well indeed - but in the winter I love the oven and wouldn't really want to be without it.

Prior to the m/home the caravan had an oven, and we have a 2 ring, grill and oven small Flavel portable caravan type cooker that we used to take on fishing holidays and cook dinners for 10 of us ....

Yes we can manage without one for a fortnight or so, NP - needs always must when the devil drives - but not all the time.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have an oven but use the skillet more and more now just use the oven for storage unless I want to cook lasagna as it looks a bit anaemic without browning.

plus we have one electric hob plate which saves us loads on gas.

And I rise bread in a skillet but brown it off in the oven.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We have a left-hooker which was built without an oven. A previous owner has fitted one in the space under the sink where I guess there was a cupboard before.

We wish we had the cupboard back, as the oven only gets used as a bread bin...:RollEyes:

Anyone know of anyone breaking the interior of a 1994 Dethleffs Globetrotter? Will swap for oven...:roflmto:

Steve

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Oven waste of time all ours are she burns everything in them:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.