Ok, where's my air filter????? (1 Viewer)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Went to look at cleaning/changing the air filter on our 2011 Rapido a class.
Opened the bonnet thinking it will be like any normal 2.3 ducato,,,,
But no, pipes disappear though the inner wing to god knows where...
Any ideas???
Thanks.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As you look into the engine bay the air filter housing is on the right hand side of the engine but low down, you probably need to get your head in there with a torch to see it. Top of the filter housing is fixed with four Pozidrive screws equally spaced around the rim.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need a young urchin to send down there. Speak to a local chimney sweep. :)

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Trying to replace the Air Filter and yes the Pozidrive screws are rusted. Are these self tappers or threads? Drilling out will be a nightmare, anyone know if it's feasible to remove the complete filter housing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Trying to replace the Air Filter and yes the Pozidrive screws are rusted. Are these self tappers or threads? Drilling out will be a nightmare, anyone know if it's feasible to remove the complete filter housing?
A sort of self tapper, doubt you can remove housing without access to the inside.

OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Soaked mine with penatrating fluid for a few days. Big self tappers came out....along with a very dead mouse o_O

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the info both. Now that I see what i'm contending with I'll soak in penetrating fluid before I attempt to remove. Unbelievable design choice for a maintainable item, 3 spring clips would be ideal a la all other manufacturers. I've an A class so access very restricted.
Kevin

OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Thanks for the info both. Now that I see what i'm contending with I'll soak in penetrating fluid before I attempt to remove. Unbelievable design choice for a maintainable item, 3 spring clips would be ideal a la all other manufacturers. I've an A class so access very restricted.
Kevin

Like me.
I found that taking the crossmember off made life a lot easier:)

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
image.jpg
No crossmember on my N&B to remove unfortunately. Job completed at last. Had to remove the filter housing complete which is only 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps but need to remove the cab air intake box cover and the cross member over the radiator. Restricted access to the clamps etc makes this a nightmare job and I hope those responsible at Fiat for this design are truly ashamed of their implementation when 3 clips would have done the job but perhaps at an extra cost of 30p, it's done their reputation proud! Screws had to have a slot cut to enable removal as the pozidrive had rusted away on their cheap plated screws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back