OK Dover parkers, how much do you spend? (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Explore Dover? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Are you really sure about that?
Never been there before so don't know what's there but game for anything mate, might be a shithole but rather decide that for myself than listen to others
Sure there must be something, when you come from Stretford anywhere worth a visit believe me even if it's only the whitish cliffs

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Jesus! That's an awful lot of spondoolies for two weeks.
I know but worth every hard Earned penny
If I go away I don't like to skimp got another 50 weeks of work to look forward to so I treat the wife like a queen when away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Oh dear, I am sorry. I had no idea you were as disadvantaged as Pinky and Penelope :LOL::LOL:

Thks for that graham, but not sure who pinky and Penelope are have I missed something mate
That's rich coming from you, aren't you from the north east
The land that time forgot :LOL:(y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thks for that graham, but not sure who pinky and Penelope are have I missed something mate
That's rich coming from you, aren't you from the north east
The land that time forgot :LOL:(y)
The "P" in JohnP10 is for Pinky because he absolutely loves anything pink. Penelope is Penelope Pitstop. Both Stretford expats exports.

I'm originally from Glossop (used to appear under my avatar in the old forum :)). Came to Tees-side to do missionary work in 1968 and was made to stay :LOL:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Last time (August) with four of us we spent £88 on food plus another £20ish on drink.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The "P" in JohnP10 is for Pinky because he absolutely loves anything pink. Penelope is Penelope Pitstop. Both Stretford expats exports.

I'm originally from Glossop (used to appear under my avatar in the old forum :)). Came to Tees-side to do missionary work in 1968 and was made to stay :LOL:
Thks for that graham, might even know them you never know
Glossop, done kinder scout more times than I care to remember lovely part of the world
Fair play to you for the missionary work

Reactions: GJH

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
We have spent the night on the seafront on average twice a year, either coming back or going over. Each night we have eaten and had a drink in the Hotel not far from the gardens. Probably spent £30 each time.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Problem is, if you're British, Dover is somewhere you pass through at the start of your holiday abroad or at the end of it on your way home. We stop overnight because we're 7 hours' drive from Dover, so by the time we arrive most visitor attractions are shut. We prefer to see the sea during the ferry crossing and don't fancy bimbling around Calais in the dark trying to find overnight parking after 9 hours or more of travel. Personally I'd happily pay a reasonable sum in the £5-6 region to park overnight there and that would be my contribution to local coffers. If I knew there was adequate council-approved parking I might arrive a day before the ferry left and look around the area ie Castle, Roman site, shops, as we did at Canterbury not so long ago. I imagine most MH users of the Little Roodee parking area in Chester are visiting the city rather than passing through, so different models apply to different locations. Dover isn't the most representative example.

Calais on the other hand is at the end of our holiday, so we often eat out there and do the Brit pilgrimage to Cite Europe if we haven't stocked up on beer and wine elsewhere. We also fill up on petrol there because it's cheaper. I suppose the problem with Dover and foreign MH tourists is that our fuel and booze aren't cheaper so most won't follow our typical spending pattern, unless it's on visitor attractions or uniquely British items.

There is a simple statistic that says it all to me - France is the world's most popular holiday destination, and that's got to be down to infrastructure as much as it is down to climate, history, location, culture or whatever. If the infrastructure is there for visitors to use, they use it. That's why we see precious few multi-national MHs in Britain and hordes of them in France. Whether or when you invest in infrastructure ultimately is a political decision. Right of centre will tend to say 'let the market decide', whereas left of centre will tend to say 'build it first and let's hope it works'.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many thanks to all who replied. It seems that the non-spenders and low spenders are in the majority, which tends to support the conclusion in the council report. Given those circumstances it is difficult to see them spending money unless people write to them and say something along the lines of "we currently spend £x but if you make an investment in a stopover we will probably spend £xx".

It's absolutely spot on to say that different models apply to different locations. That is why I keep banging on about making the specific case for each location. If it does inspire anyone to do so may I point you Here and Here again to help you get started :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not many, if any Aires in the UK but loads of height barriers. Say's it all really! Viva la France.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not many, if any Aires in the UK but loads of height barriers. Say's it all really! Viva la France.
Broken Link Removed, it is possible to park a motorhome throughout this country. Height barriers are put in place for all sorts of reasons, often to stop commercial vehicles clogging up car parks.

As regards the number of aires, I am coming round more and more to the belief that the number existing probably reflects the true demand. If there were any more demand then people would actually do something positive to try to increase the number. The fact that only a handful do reflects the true position.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We usually go along to the Premier Inn/Table Table and have a meal, usually around £40. We don't live that far from Dover and could easily time our journey to match ferry sailing time but for us it's the 1st part of our holiday ☺

Rob

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We must be the only ones who spend money in Dover, as previously mentioned we normally arrive after 6 and take advantage of the free parking on the esplanade, we then normally pop over to the Great Western Hotel for a bar meal (recommended) couple of beers then walk across the road to the van. Good nights sleep (normally after a days work and a 5/6 hr drive) then wake up refreshed, 2 minute drive to the port then away we go.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As regards the number of aires, I am coming round more and more to the belief that the number existing probably reflects the true demand. If there were any more demand then people would actually do something positive to try to increase the number. The fact that only a handful do reflects the true position.

More than likely true, but what a sad indictment of the degree of forward planning for MH tourism in some local authorities. Western Europe in general has an ageing population and we are gradually coming out of recession. If the age profile and growing membership of this site is an indicator of likely MH ownership in future then a huge opportunity is being missed by the 'wait and see' mentality.

How many people do we see introducing themselves as new or prospective MH owners on this site every day? How many of them read thread after thread on here about how wonderful it is to drive a MH round France and think 'Maybe there's something in that, we'll give it a try' and two years later they won't contemplate holidaying in the UK any more. Why is it so good? Because the stopover infrastructure is ALREADY THERE. Would I as a new MH owner today be persuaded by some vague promise of overnight MH parking in Lower Piddle on the Marsh some time in 2017 subject to a council feasibility study? Not if I could cross the channel and pick and choose from the hundreds that are already in place. By 2017 it's too late - I'm already hooked on France.

Sometimes it's necessary to prime the pump to get things flowing, and commit to investment in advance of the known outcome, but I suspect that smacks too much of left-wing thinking for some councils. I also suspect that council accounting and spending procedures stifle a hell of a lot of entrepreneurial initiative - this I know from a working life as a local authority employee. It's a huge shame - maybe instead of asking 'what would you spend if you could park overnight in Lower Piddle in the Marsh', they should be asking 'Why are all the MH owners buggering off to the continent?".

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Went into dover for the first time ever on the way through to the ferry a couple of weeks ago. Spent some money in a pound shop and had a mcd's

Never again!!!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a huge shame - maybe instead of asking 'what would you spend if you could park overnight in Lower Piddle in the Marsh', they should be asking 'Why are all the MH owners buggering off to the continent?".
But how do councils know all the MH owners are buggering off to the continent? At best we are something like 1% of the population so unless somebody makes councils aware of the potential economic benefit (always assuming it actually exists) how are they to know?

In north west England we have the examples of Fylde and Chester and they might be used as an example for other tourist areas. What potential is there, though, for stopovers in places like Burnley, Accrington, Oldham, Barrow or Blackburn (to pick some other major towns out of the hat)?

Nothing will change by just expecting every council in the land to discover the advantages of creating stopovers because those advantages simply do not exist in many areas. Nothing will change, either, by simply leaving it to somebody else (= anybody else so long as it isn't those asking for stopovers) to make a case where it is possible for a case to be made.

Motorhoming is obviously a major topic on this forum but in the context of the country as a whole we are a tiny minority (and still far fewer than those using towed caravans). If motorhomers want special facilities creating for them then they have to make the case themselves.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have to live there and it is run by total F******ts .The complaints about the Seafront are from the Gateway flat residents. We used to call them the POSH council tenants, as a load of Councillors lived there. but they seemed to have got a good deal with the Right to Buy, now they think they own everything including the huge lawn area in front. There is an area at Northampton Quay that is owned by the Harbour Board and I am trying to get something worked out to use a bit, as an Aire. The DHB also own the Seafront but the council have blagging rights to the parking. I must say I have noticed that quite a few people have not realised that there is a caravan and motorhome area by the DHB offices at the West end. However to use it you must get there early before the restaurant users do with their cars.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But how do councils know all the MH owners are buggering off to the continent? At best we are something like 1% of the population so unless somebody makes councils aware of the potential economic benefit (always assuming it actually exists) how are they to know?

In north west England we have the examples of Fylde and Chester and they might be used as an example for other tourist areas. What potential is there, though, for stopovers in places like Burnley, Accrington, Oldham, Barrow or Blackburn (to pick some other major towns out of the hat)?

Nothing will change by just expecting every council in the land to discover the advantages of creating stopovers because those advantages simply do not exist in many areas. Nothing will change, either, by simply leaving it to somebody else (= anybody else so long as it isn't those asking for stopovers) to make a case where it is possible for a case to be made.

Motorhoming is obviously a major topic on this forum but in the context of the country as a whole we are a tiny minority (and still far fewer than those using towed caravans). If motorhomers want special facilities creating for them then they have to make the case themselves.
Just speak to there counterparts in France,Germany etc and all will become obvious IMO
People like yourself have been working hard beating the drum with these people for a long time yet they won't /don't seem to listen reference aires
The previous post by magicsurfbus says it all and certainly apply's to me after my first visit to France last week which was absolutely top draw graham

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We stayed at Swingate Inn......about 5 mins to Dover dock....but in the country!!!!
If you have a meal in the restaurant your stopover is free.
We had a really good Indian meal...about £38 for two including drinks.
Mick and Les

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The real problem is that the statement "People like yourself have been working hard beating the drum" is incorrect. Apart from a handful of places that I have been able to identify as potential stopovers, I have concentrated on daytime parking.

Other "People like yourself" can probably be counted in tens rather than hundreds. To those who have put in the effort I say "Thank you". To those who say they want aires but are not prepared to do anything apart from leave the work to somebody else I say "If you are serious get off your backside and prove it". Nothing will happen if it is just left to somebody else all the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back