OK..back to basics- shape/length

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fifiwi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Fifiwi

Fifiwi Funster

Apologies if this is a much asked question, but.......

to anyone......why did you choose an A-class, over a semi-integrated MH ? (or vice versa, of course). Do they drive differently, is one type more manouevrable, what are the advantages of one type over the other ie longevity

Thank You.

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Neither, we went for a panel van conversion (PVC) :xgrin: And why? It had the layout we wanted in a small package, a good kitchen and felt light and airy inside with very comfortable lounging seats.

But generally most folk say layout is what you need to choose on so find what works for you first before deciding on a type of MH.

• Like Like x 3
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have an A class so slight bias, I guess I always liked the style of the A class and I never drooled over a van that wasn't this style. On the plus side I would say the A class does not show its age as a Coachbuilt does, you get a great view out the front when driving and parked up, they are warmer as the fully insulated side panels run all the way to the front and ours has double glazed side windows in the cab lots of A class have no cab doors so again no draughts , more useable space as the cab and seats are more part of the lounge (this might be model specific).

Downsides? Not sure really, yes the windscreen is expensive so just make sure it covered on your insurance, there are very few A class UK built vans so if you don't like continental layouts you are stuffed.

Personally I don't think we will ever have anything other than an A class.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

A class: Lighter weight normally, better insulated....normally shorter then a comparable coachbuilt, usually have double floors but so do some coachbuilts. As they are the same width all the way and usually the front seats are wider apart they feel more spacious. none of the drafts associated with a coachbuilt. heating goes all the way to the front so more snug for winter camping.

you really have to tell us more about yourselves as if its just for summer use may be not necessary as they do cost more..far better value if you buy an import though..

a rear transverse bed over a garage for all your junk, bikes etc....makes the best use of space and keeps the length reasonable. a longer van with twin singles or a french bed popular these days saves all the climbing over each other.

just keep on going to look at them. I tried an A class for the first time this summer at Carthago City in Germany and enjoyed driving it very much, very maneuverable. It will be our next van eventually all being well.

Eddie

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  5. funflair

You don't get a cockpit like this in a Coachbuilt or PVC.

image.jpeg

Martin

• Like Like x 6
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Each to their own. I don't like the giant screens to much on view too much heat/sun coming in & blinding you. Same as I can't see the point of the glass car roofs . What's that all about ? Prefer the coach built with a nice shady overhang.
    I like to see without being seen.:xThumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I prefer the Aclass because for its size an Aclass always feels more spacious than a coachbuilt. When not driving the rotated front seals add to the the space without the cab being a separate area.

I find them nicer to drive as the greater width of the cockpit feels better, the large windscreen gives a great view, and being set quite a way forward from the seating position means that there is no glare from the sun unless its very low. (This is also true of the overcab bed coachbuilt but not the low profile type). A coachbuilt retaining the van bodywork can make the front of the MH cold in the winter.

There is no visible steel bodywork on an A class so body rust doesn't happen. Many A class vans are very old and still look good.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Judge Mental

That being said the latest lightweight versions can be as wide as a panel van...

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

As above + the drop-down bed suits me. The pull-out single is full size for wifey & I have the huge drop-down. I like everything about the A-class - big windows, front lounge with swivel seats, hab door at the back (well on mine anyway). It's like driving a big, comfy, lounge with a bay window.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Layout, layout, layout. Each to there own. :xThumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

We have just fell in love with one of these - Why ? Its only just over half a meter longer than a LWB Panel van, its more or less the same width as a panel van, its slightly lower than a Panel van it drives very much the same as a Panel van, yet it has bags of storage (which i think most Panel vans lack) and i have seen many Panel vans that costs more to buy !
    $_57.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

13. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Looks nice what is it?.......Martin

14. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Hobby Premium 65 GE

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

Our first MH is a 2013 Majestic 175 what type of build is it?

16. Judge Mental

This Carthago A class same length/width more of less as our panel van. plus it works well @ 3500kg
    panel van 6360
    Carthago i 138 6400

images.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. funflair

Coachbuilt.

18. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

We had a Swift Bessacarr E450 (fixed french bed layout) for four years and loved it, but I always hankered after a Hymer B544. We changed earlier this year when one came up at Lowdhams at a reasonable price. The B544 is much quieter when driving, far warmer, much better storage/seating options, half a metre shorter and the drop down bed is the most comfortable that we have ever had, including home. No change to insurance price, cheaper road tax because it's classed as HGV and it does slightly more to the gallon. The Swift was a 2.3 130 and this is a 2.3 150. The only downside was biting the bullet and paying for it.
    We always thought fixed bed was the best and we were wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Now that really looks stunning....... but..... as someone mentioned earlier - layout, layout, layout..... and this one for many doesn't have that "day lounging" layout so as nice as it looks I doubt the layout, and so the van, would appeal to many.
    Just as well we all have different ideas of what we like - wouldn't it be boring, and confusing, if, on returning to the aire/campsite/parking spot we were faced with a line of identical vans. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

Thanks Funflair. What are the definitions of panel vans, A class, coach built, and any other MH builds?