Oils and oil changes.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Snowbird, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have religiously changed oil at 5000 miles or 10000 kms, but am thinking that with the new to me fully synthetic oils am being a bit over zealous. Having read up a little on these synthetic oils everyone says that oil changes can be extended. What do the funsters think. I was always taught that regular oil changes were the best way to extend an engines life, but that was in the days of mineral oils. I have been using Lucas oils for some time now and it does have some good reports, although I have found that in older engines it does need topping up occasionally. Maybe because its thinner.

2. Mel

Mel Funster

When I was last at work
    We had a Mercedes Actros on long term test.
    We where told the oil &filters must not be changed for 100000km yes 100000km

But did take samples

But thats very easy when its not yours.

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snowbird

Jeez Mel that seems a bit extreme, I don't think I would like to go that far, certainly not with the OM 602 even though there are reports of some covering 1000000 miles before rebuild.

4. Mel

Mel Funster

I have{the wife has} a merc 3.0 V6 diesel over here they recomend not exceeding 20000km
    And i think in the begining we changed that at about 18000km
    But you need a morgage for oil here {in a merc garage}

It old now{like the wife} she only does about 8000km per year so i will change it {the oil not the wife}maybe after about 15000km

Mel

• Like Like x 3
  5. 54mud

54mud

Don't use synthetic oil in older engines that were designed for mineral oils. It can do more harm than good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

bless them both, bye the way Mel did your Father in law have any joy with my family records?:Wink:

7. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I have a older Fiat 2.5 tdi Ducato.

I change oil and filter every year regardless of what miles it has done.

It does not cost very much to do , but gives a lot more peace of mind knowing clean oil
    is in there.

Got to look after the old ones and they will look after me :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i think one thing that is worth bearing in mind regarding engine oils, is that even though the latest fully synthetic ones etc have been designed with extended service intervals in mind,it is expected that the engine its being circulated around will be run daily and at a average temperature etc . the problem with a lot of motorhomes is that they spend most of the year laid up and if the batteries are being maintained via ehu or a solar panel they dont even get started for months ! if owners only do a oil change when they have covered the recomended milage their engines will have had years of condensation contamination etc . regards garry

• Like Like x 4
  9. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Later Fiat/Iveco engines are designed to use fully synthetic lubricant with changes at about 26000 miles.

I do not know about older vehicle engines but, using fully synthetic oil in older marine diesels is apparently a no no. Also they should not be used in any Marine engines designed to run on mineral oil.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendations on lubricant and change in line with the type of use.

Although we run fully synthetic, I am changing annually which is about 12K miles.

10. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

Interesting! Tell us more please. (mine's a 1991 model! )

11. Mel

Mel Funster

No he had the same problem as me trying to understand the website.
    I think the best thing to do is if you are over here we could go to antwerp and try to get one of the staff to help us.
    I could always jump on a train and meet you in Antwerp when you are over here next.

Sorry a bit off thread

Mel

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I usually change full syn, every 10, 000 mls or 2 yrs:Smile: Stopped annual servicing since finishing work about 5 yrs ago and not doing anywhere near mileage I used to.Must say I can usually feel or hear when something is wrong :BigGrin:
    I did above 30k in my last work van only checking oil/water levels every couple of week's-I probably topped up oil but cannot remember doing so :BigGrin:
    Terry

13. Mel

Mel Funster

I have a 3:0lt Fiat which is the Iveco engine. And the service indicator does show 40000km between service good god i dare not do that.

Mel

14. Snowbird

Some interesting reply s here. I always changed oil at 5000 miles with older engines and never had a problem with a blown engine. Mineral oils are becoming harder to find in local motor factors, as they all seem to be going semi or full synthetic. I have been using semi synthetic in my old VW Golf for some years now and that has done over 170000 miles. The camper has done 170000 kms on an OM 602 Mercedes diesel, which was one of the most reliable and robust diesel engines ever built, but since changing to full synthetic it does seem to require topping up more often. The older Mercedes diesel engines use a little oil even when new, so this has never been a worry in the past. Am thinking along the lines of reverting back to mineral oil in the van and going back to 5000 mile changes.

15. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Dave, this is a good question.:thumb:

I run, amongst others, Land Rovers that are 40 years and a 20 years old.

The 40 year old one runs mineral oil and the (highly tuned) Tdi 20 year-old runs semi-synthetic from Morris Lubricants.

Annual mileage is 1,000 and 7,000 respectively and both get changed every year including gearboxes and diffs. The gearbox in the 20 year-old runs a modern synthetic and that gets done every 2 years, but good old EP90 gets flushed every year.

I imagine your RMB gets used predominantly on long journeys and is well looked after in the winter months. I would have thought annual oil changes (plus regular checks) are fine. This is what I'll probably do should I buy that RMB we discussed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snowbird

Hi, This is of course another factor. The van is used all year round and almost always on long run. It does over 10000 miles per year and I have been changing engine oil at 5000 miles. My main concern now is to stick with the synthetic and change yearly or 10000 miles or go back to mineral and change at 5000 miles.

17. JJ

JJ Funster

I would love to be educated as to why fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil will do more harm than good to my old Merc engine.

More harm than good?

How does that one work?

JJ :Cool:

18. Snowbird

Wheres Geo when you need him :BigGrin:

19. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Morning Dave, i would like to give you my 2 pennies on this subject, when i was renovating our old girl, i had a long discussion with an old timed served & a real motor mechanic, he strongly advised Mineral or semi synthetic oil and never fully synthetic, and recommended 10w40 for up here, he even went on to say that all the old OM engines should never have these fully synthetic oil put in as they were never designed for this type of technology,after talking with him at some length i took his advice and still do, our,s have now covered 389000Km and still going strong,so what ever you decide and feel comfortable with, have safe and happy travels, cheers Alf:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snowbird

Thats good enough for me Alf. I will be dropping the full synthetic today :thumb:.

• Like Like x 1