oil?! :) what colour should it be?! (1 Viewer)

ezzy

Free Member
Sep 22, 2009
bridport
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
ok so hi everyone first post..

if its not a blonde question - what should the colour of my mhome engine oil be on the dipstick? i always thought it was pretty much the same colour as in the can ie oil colour see through brownish - i have a 3 year old diesel has been serviced sat still for a couple of months about to go away in it and dipsticked to check oil level and it looked black?! is that normal? no scaremongering just genuine help pleath! ta

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It is normal for diesels oil to turn black quite rapidly. With petrols, this would take longer and people considered oil colour proof of recent servicing.

With diesels - it is a different matter! Change regularly as you wish, but don't go by oil colour!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Even if you change it now as soon as you start a diesel engine the oil will be black in a matter of minutes unless you have an oil spinner fitted, few diesel engines have a spinner fitted other than Cummins.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Even if you change it now as soon as you start a diesel engine the oil will be black in a matter of minutes unless you have an [HI]oil spinner fitted[/HI], few diesel engines have a spinner fitted other than Cummins.

Do you think there is any great advantage to retro-fitting a spinner to a MH?

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so bright red is not normal????????:whatthe:

only three things should red Roger.......your knuckles when working on it, gearbox/axle oil and brake fluid.

gearbox oil and brake fluid are not conducive as engine lubricants and knuckle gravy isnt good for anything except keeping you upright and breathing. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 minutes running will see new oil look like old oil unless you use an engine flush at oil service time.

don't know why but there's always more old oil left in a diesel when drained than a petrol engine which, of course, then mixes with the new oil making it look dirty.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[HI]Do you think there is any great advantage to retro-fitting a spinner to a MH?[/HI]

Mike

Oh boy Roger:Doh: You've done it again:cry: Every Newbie will be fretting now, they hav'n't got a "spinner"

And if you are a Newbie, nor has 99.999% of Funsters::bigsmile:

OP
OP
E

ezzy

Free Member
Sep 22, 2009
bridport
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
many thanks - phew!

:thumb:

many thanks everyone - now it makes sense ...

not due a service for a few months but did a panic as been sat up on drive since January :Eeek:

some :ROFLMAO: in there too - red diesel - as a farmer's wife would not really know to what you are referring :winky:

and yes i remember duckhams being green or am i just showing my age - ok i'll go quietly!!:Sad:

thanks again

cheery bye

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am no expert

But generally when you change the oil on a diesel engine it will be black as $hit within a hour.

MikeD:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back