Oil Warning?

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by shezza, Jun 7, 2009.

1. shezza

shezza Read Only Funster

Hi all I have just returned from a soggy Stratford in my new Sunseeker 140 on a Peugeot Boxer and noticed for the first time on my controll panel the words OIL and about five squares come up I have never noticed it before and cant find any reference to it in the manual. I take it that this is OIL OK or should the squares be blacked?

2. lindyloot

lindyloot Funster Life Member

It's an indication of how much oil is in the engine, don't rely on it as they are not always correct. The dipstick is the more reliable method.

3. Big Brian 56

Big Brian 56 Read Only Funster

Ours does this every start up, the squares go down over the year ( ours went to three ) then its service time, well thats how it works for us !

4. aande

aande Read Only Funster

oil circles peugeot Elddis Autoquest 120 o8 plate

Ive hunted all over this site for this topic!

Mine started with 5 black circles. Moved to white circles and as I have driven over the last year 5,000 miles I'm down to 3 circles.

Ive just taken the motorhome into the dealer, pointed this out and requested an oil check. Alas they also found some other electrical faults which have been rectified but no mention of the circles! on return home and switching on again I see 3 x circles. Im off for another 5,000 trip this summer and hope all goes well!

5. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

This is quite normal, when the squares are black it's fine, and they go down to indicate a lower oil level - a virtual dipstick if you like.

When we stopped at Mont St Michel last year on our way back from Spain, mine was showing a flashing + sign. It said in the handbook that the oil level was too high, which I knew was untrue, as I'd just driven close on 6000 miles, and if anything it should register less!

It reverted back to normal the next day!!

OK as a guide, but unreliable in the sense that it's not particularly accurate. I have always checked all levels before setting out on a journey. Makes sense to me.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as others have said they are a waste of time.....
    just something else to go wrong and as accurate as a fresh water tank gauge.:Wink:

our work berlingo's have the same thing and are just ignored.
    no substitute for a dipstick and bit of rag.:thumb:

7. wizza

wizza Funster

As Pappajohn says they are a waste of time always use your dipstick

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No argument there John.. but when last did you see anyone check their oil level at a garage forecourt after filling up, or for that matter at home before driving off ?

Many modern engines use so little oil they don't need topping up between services, so it often gets forgotten about, my little 12 year old Fiat with 90k on the clock hardly uses any oil ...

I've never had a car with an oil level indicator, it may be inaccurate but it could prevent an engine blow up if acted upon.. where as, by the time an oil pressure light comes on it may well be too late .. I don't think it was intended to replace a manual check.. it's only a warning system. Hopefully it's designed to fail to danger and not to safe..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010