LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Had a full service done about 2 - 3 thousand miles ago... Let me explain..

When you switch the ignition on a sign comes up telling you how much oil (On a sliding scale) you have.... been OK... but this the sign came up saying oil OK... then in a little window it came up in writing.. "Check Engine Oil"...

I did this and it is just below the minimum on the stick.. which has minimum - maximum..

I had a half pint of ordinary 20/30 oil and put this in which bought it up just over the minimum and the sign has gone out..

Then i got to think did Allan Kerr put "Synthetic oil" in... :doh: and why didn`t they reset the first oil guage (Sliding scale one) which would have shown the slightest low on oil side of things.... instead of me waiting for the written warning.... :swear2:

Will ordinary oil and Synthetic mix or will it do any harm putting ordinary oil in if it has been changed using synthetic..

Hope you can understand my ramblings..

It`s the 170 or 180 HP 3 litre Fiat engine..

Thanks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo yes it's Ok to mix them --no idea about the lights or if they were reset on service -
If you are worried about it then go to a nice frooggy garage and have the lot changed :LOL:--but I can assure you you don't need to (y):D
terry
Edit forgot to say add another half or full pint until it shows just below max on the stick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Half a pint will make little or no difference, Semi Synthetic is nothing more than you have just created ie a mix of mineral and fully synth,
Whilst what you have done will not harm your engine it is not to be recommended on a regular basis, you may loose some of the benefits of a fully synth product engine performance may be effected if continued use of incorrect oil is sustained. top up to level with the right stuff and all will be well untill you have done all this years galavanting around the globe then get an oil change or any time sooner if you are at all concerned
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks Terry & Geo...(y)

Trouble is I am not sure what Allan Kerr put in...

I thought they would have had the common sense as with a Yank RV to zero/reset the computer...:RollEyes:

Wont be going to them again.. :swear2:

Hope you read this Mr Kerr, I know you look in...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Applying a non technical approach Mo, half a pint of something oil related is hopefully better than leaving it off the bottom of the dip stick :D

(y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Im with George on that one Mo.in a new engine like that definately fully synthetic good quality oil and dont mix it.oil is expensive but a new engine:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
brian and jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo your engine is supposed to have full syn--I just looked it up (y) but better mixed than none ;)I would be more worried where the oil has gone :)
terry

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used to have one of our cars ( a VW ) serviced by the dealer in Canterbury. After a month or so I would check the oil, it was always on or near the low mark and I would have to top it up.
I was getting worried that the car was using a lot of oil, but never topped it up before the next service.
When I picked the car up after the next service, I checked the oil and it was on the min mark.
It looks as if the garage was keeping a litre of oil at every service, something they probably did to every car.
Obviously I complained to the garage the next day, together with a few other issues I had.
Shortly after, the service manager was out of work.
Wonder if he got a job with a motorhome dealer in Devon?
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back