Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
With the price of oil down by approx 50%, will ferry prices be cheaper in 2015?

Trevor

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The other part of this question is, now that diesel is so cheap does it make sense to get on a ferry to Santandar and drive to South of France as opposed to driving down thro France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With the price of oil down by approx 50%, will ferry prices be cheaper in 2015?

Trevor
no because ferries are going to be forced to use less polluting fuel. it was announced months back that prices are likely to shoot up to cover the ferry companies costs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Broken Link Removed

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Broken Link Removed

Interesting link with an unequivocal statement from P&O that passengers will pay for the increased cost...................not that that was ever in doubt I suppose.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The other part of this question is, now that diesel is so cheap does it make sense to get on a ferry to Santandar and drive to South of France as opposed to driving down thro France.

never did !
We have always driven down and back up.
We have done the calculations so many times and tried to work it but the cost of the ferry to Spain is always considerably higher than the cost of diesel and the couple of wee tolls we take in whilst in Spain

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did the biscay once one way..never again, a cruise it is not!

the return was cancelled due to gearbox failure, we drove up the same day....... A pointless crossing IMO

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I did the biscay once one way..never again, a cruise it is not!

the return was cancelled due to gearbox failure, we drove up the same day....... A pointless crossing IMO

And like Mr Kipling's cakes.............exceedingly expensive.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The question that has always interested me is :
"What proportion of the ferry cost is accounted for by fuel"
What with port fees, staff on land, staff on the boat, and the capital cost of the boat, plus sales and other admin costs.
I would have expected fuel to be pretty low down on the list, yet this change of fuel going to be used to significantly hike the price by all reports.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The question that has always interested me is :
"What proportion of the ferry cost is accounted for by fuel"
What with port fees, staff on land, staff on the boat, and the capital cost of the boat, plus sales and other admin costs.
I would have expected fuel to be pretty low down on the list, yet this change of fuel going to be used to significantly hike the price by all reports.

The unacceptable face of capitalism?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ferry prices may not go down, but running the MH this year is going to be a whole load cheaper!!!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most boats are leased aren't they? This why you see the same craft moved to different locations over many years...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I booked Plymouth /Santander last month for a crossing in April and it cost about the same as our crossing last September. Given the new rules came in to effect yesterday I can only last assume the reduction in oil price more or less balances the increased cost of the low sulphur fuel they now need to buy.

A bit of Googling suggest the fuel costs about $400 per tonne and a ship like the Pont Aven will consume about 100 tonnes in 24 hours so if there are 1000 people on the ship each one is paying $40 each for fuel for the trip, which is about a fifth of the ticket price if there are two of you plus a MH going to Santander.

My figures are rough estimates but I don't think they a wildly out. Certainly, I think the decimal point is in the right place, in other words the cost of fuel per person going to Santander shouldn't be more than $100.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If a ship has to burn distillate fuel (bearing in mind that it has to switch completely over before reaching the ECA limits) then the costs are approximately twice that of higher sulphur residual fuel.

Historically, the fuel costs have been about 50% the cost of running a ship but that information is quite old

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back