Oil in diesel tank ....................

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by stcyr, Oct 20, 2013.

1. stcyr

stcyr Funster

When I filled up with diesel yesterday I put 200cl of engine oil in the tank first.
    After about 20 kilometres Swmbo asked what I'd done to the engine - she'd noticed the engine was a lot quieter and smoother than before.
    There's a massive amount of info/forums/discussions on the web about 2-stroke/engine/old sump-oil :)Eek!:) being added to the fuel, with various beneficial effects.
    I've done this many times over the years with many different vehicles and the effects have always been real and very noticeable. Never had any of the oft-mentioned possible deleterious effects.
    The fact that sulphur is no longer put in diesel fuel nowadays is a factor often brought up...
    Anyway, it works for me and our 2.5td. It worked in the old MB608 and various other vehicles.

Just interested in other people's experiences.

And no, it's not a 'placebo effect' :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have always recycled my old sump oil in this way. Filter it first and stick it in the tank. I did some experiments some time ago with black diesel, but it was too time consuming and messy. The great thing about these older non electronic engines is that they will burn just about anything you put in there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. alfandM

alfandM Funster

An interesting subject,please tell me More:thumb:

4. Snowbird

Hi Alf. Diesel is only thin oil. You would think that by putting engine oil in with the diesel that the engine would smoke, but it doesn't. Older engines like we have will burn a 10% mix without any detriment, and not only without detriment, but with added lubrication. Modern low sulphur diesel has little if any lubricants and by adding engine oil the engine does seem to run quieter. I know an elevator fitter who runs a 50% mix of hydrolic oil and diesel, he gets the oil when they change it, filters it and sticks it in.

• Like Like x 3
  5. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Thanks Dave shall be giving this a go,i can see the benefits for lubrication purposes,so again thank's to you Both for an interesting and informative subject,we are never too old to learn old tricks:thumb::thumb:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

works a bit like in the old days you added redex .
    one of my dads mates used add castor oil in his vehicles . swore by it .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Most interesting post. We have a 2011 Ford transit engine so will add some at next fill up and se what happens.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I can see big expensive tears ahead !

All other posts are by owners of ancient injection pump engines, put it in a modern high rail diesel at your peril.

It may work.

But better get more data first.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

Nice to realise any old oil will do :thumb:I was pointed last year to a site that claimed Mercedes were adding two stroke oil into fuel on some test vehicles to stop premiture wear on pumps etc.
    I tried a gallon of petrol in a full tank and that had a possitive effect without doing any damage (that I noticed) simply chucked out black smoke for a mile or so then went to normal so I assumed it had cleaned the injectors :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Brian, how old is old?

I have a 1997 2.5 ducato

Mike

11. Snowbird

I would suggest anyone with a drive by wire pump or ECU controlled engine does there own research. Those with older engines that are considering adding engine oil, make sure if using old sump oil that it is filtered down to 5 microns or less. Start by adding 1 gallon per tank and slowly build up to 10%.

12. neilydun

neilydun Read Only Funster

I did lots of research into alternative fuels, which led to me running my 08 Hilux, on vegetable oil for over 50,000 miles.
    The oil was much cheaper than diesel, about 50p a litre, when bought in bulk.
    Anyway, I did look into black diesel. Its illegal to chuck this in your tank, just as kerosene.
    No duty paid.
    As said, old oil, if not very carefully filtered, will damage a common rail engine.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's not so much age as type. The original diesels have a tough mechanical pump with a thin pipe going from the pump to each cylinder. Just perfect if you want to drive around the world and get it fixed by the local blacksmith.

For over ten years we have a VERY high pressure electric fuel pump feeding electric taps ( injectors ) on the top of each cylinder. You see one pipe jumping injector to injector ( the high pressure fuel rail ) and an electric connector with two thin wires ( as opposed to the heater with a single thick wire ) on top of each cylinder. These injectors are micro-fine and produce a mist like puff of fuel which burns better. Block these at your peril.

There's nothing to stop you putting fuel additive / cleaner as sold in Halfords in the later ones.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

In my humble opinon
    Old style DPA or in line fuel pumps will burn just about any thing
    From as said from hydrolic oil and paraffin with no external sensors
    On sytem other than your boot on pedal
    But our more modern common rail systems are a very differant beast
    As they are purely electronic with sensors changing the amount of fuel delivered to injectors and changing timming depending on power demand so when you put your boot down in effect the computer tells the fuel delivery sytem what to do
    Some of these sytems learn as you drive to give peak performance so if you keep changing fuel types you are heading for bother

Me I would
    Old school put in anything clean that will burn
    New types of derv top up a drop of oil or red x to lubricate the sytem a little more as said before modern fuel has very little lubricant

New school do nothing drop of red x every now and then

15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

NOTED..............:cry:

16. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Spot on, Brian....... in simple terms that even an idiot like me can understand :Wink: :thumb: