Oil Filled Heater

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by trevtherev, Apr 30, 2015.

1. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

Hi All, My 10 year old Autocruiser only has gas heating, As a bit of a tight bugger I dont want to be useing my gas when on elec. Hookup. We have a elec. fan heater but its to noisy to use overnight, then someone suggested a small oilfilled radiator. That sounds like the ideal solution. Something not to powerful or bulky and thermostatically controlled. Any recommendations please.

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

De-Longi do a good range...

We got a small one we leave on low in the winter, just enough to take the chill off and keep frost at bay...

Run our`s on number three, but do wack it up to 9 and after an hour it is hot inside.. (y)

3. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have a small 500 watt oil filled heater
    It's not large enough to warm van when it's very cold but does keep of the chill at night
    this morning when I woke it was a bit chilly so I put gas heating on for 10 minutes now it's nice and warm :)
    Plus it's small enough to hide in a inside locker without taking up too much space (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Also we have a 500w oil fired rad keeps the chil off and works well for us

5. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

We got one from Robert Dyas, use it during the winter mainly to keep van warm.

6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

As a by............. I have heard or read of some splitting and leaking..

So best if you can to stand it in some kind of tray to catch any leaking oil if possible.. should that happen.. (y)

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Is there some way he can curtain off the front cab area as when I do this, there is a noticeable difference in the hab area. I also gave used a small 500 watt oil rad, and it definitely helped.

9. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

And as a by by..... I did phone our insurers to ask if we were covered "you are not covered, this departs from the standard build which we assume when issuing cover, you can leave the built in heating on if you wish".

I leave a low wattage heater on all winter anyway, just to keep above freezing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cobweb

Cobweb

We also keep a small oil filled radiator in the van and leave it on a low setting overnight if it is cold and we are hooked up . Otherwise we leave the heating on low .

12. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

Took the plunge and ordered a 800 watt oil filled one off ebay. I would imagine that 99% of them are made in China now, buying products from recognised reputable manufacturers is no guarantee that it is not made in China nowdays. Thanks for the info.

13. Geordies

Geordies Funster

I have a 200W block heater, which I am going to attach to a plug in thermostat. 200W would keep the chill off in winter and also be good enough to keep the MH warm-ish overnight, unless your in the Artic. Depending on the size of your MH and it's insulation of course.

Obviously, it will have to stand on a non-flammable surface or have some legs on it.

Attached Files:

14. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

200w ! that's the warmth of a light bulb!

15. Geordies

Geordies Funster

True, but it will keep an un-insulated, very large fibre-glass cabinet, above 10c whatever the outside temp.

Remember, over night in a MH, the bodies are also radiating heat, the amount depends upon the activities undertaken of course !

16. Wombles

Wombles Funster

17. TERRY&PAULINE

TERRY&PAULINE Funster

We have used 2 small oil filled heaters for years, one in the front and one in the rear, never had a problem, they are thermostatic, we wouldn't leave gas on all night, when not in use they fit behind the front seats, cheap on local e bay with Marin Lewis E-bay mapper,

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

@trevtherev
    absolutely correct.. the emphasis should be on 'cheapo' .. rather than 'Chinese '

big names like De Longi, Honeywell and Dimplex are all probably made there now.

The one that caught fire in the link was a Crown 700watt .. (not 700kw as advertised in Amazon :rolleyes:) looks like it's discontinued ..

there was also a link to a recall in the US http://www.cpsc.gov/en/recalls/2007...l-filled-electric-heaters-due-to-fire-hazard/

My personal thoughts are that a small panel convector or greenhouse tubular heater is safer.. but nothing is 100% safe.. hence Brian's call to his insurer ..
    I had two wall mounted ones in the RV to keep the chill off the toilet and one in the belly locker to stop the tanks and pipes freezing..

Belly locker with heater on wall ..

[​IMG]