Oil Consumption of the 2.8 lt. JTD engine ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Was checking my oil, the level was about mid way between Min and Max marks on the dipstick..

Fiat manual says that there is 2.3 litres difference between the two marks..

so I recon it used about 1 lt over 3,000 miles, driven quite hard, much of that on the French Autoroutes

as far as I can determine, there are no oil leaks and no blue smoke from the exhaust

I have topped up, and will keep an eye on it..

is this normal consumption for this engine..? it has only done about 45k miles

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Seems a lot to me Jim, even with an old tech engine I would be thinking 1 litre per 3000 miles is a lot.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Seems a lot to me Jim, even with an old tech engine I would be thinking 1 litre per 3000 miles is a lot.
that's what I thought..

thing is, it was serviced by Becks, just before we left, and not sure if it was on the max mark .. yes I know.. lazy.. should have checked..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
that's what I thought..

thing is, it was serviced by Becks, just before we left, and not sure if it was on the max mark .. yes I know.. lazy.. should have checked..

Thats a thought Jim. I once sent a Smart car to a main agent for service and when it came back the oil level was only half way between the marks. They said it was to allow for expansion when hot :rolleyes:.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
that's what I thought..

It is entirely possible that they put the exact amount as specified in the manual into the sump and that gives halfway up. Mine sits on halfway so quite happy about it. Some garages overfill which can be very bad for the turbo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks David

as you know, when the oil is fresh it's damn hard to see it on the stick.. and maybe it's just this engine.. but getting a 'clean' dip is almost impossible.. so quite hard to determine the exact level..

it was easier now that the oil is dirty.. but still difficult to get a clean dip..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
thanks David

as you know, when the oil is fresh it's damn hard to see it on the stick.. and maybe it's just this engine.. but getting a 'clean' dip is almost impossible.. so quite hard to determine the exact level..

it was easier now that the oil is dirty.. but still difficult to get a clean dip..
Fiat alleged "Professional" seriously overfilled the van the twice I used them. Luckily from my previous employment I have a line oil sampling kit which enabled me to reduce the level. Can't remember what the book said but as the son in law said (he is a mechanic) always put the exact amount in and ignore the dipstick when doing so - the oil takes a while to circulate and bring the level on the stick up to the right level. Also he said that level ground makes a difference plus leaving it for 5 minutes after switching off (or whatever the book says) must be adhered to.

Whatever happened to chucking it in and checking the stick?? Can't even find the dipstick on the Jag -underneath engine cover - but handbook always says use the electronic level gauge on the control stalk. First world problems again.....

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I fill to middle of marks, milage 60k. never topped it up yet. change every 10k

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ours , not 2.8 but 2.2 doesn't use any as far as I can tell, but it has a thing on the dash with five rings that light up to say if the oil is ok and if I fill it to the full mark on the dipstick it doesn't show the rings but says" oil high" so when changing it I don't fill it to the top on the stick and the rings are ok.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think its very unlikely that you are using all that oil. My 3 litre is nearly at 50k and doesn't noticeably use any oil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back