Oh Well Let's be provacative! Light the blue touchpaper!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 2escapees, Dec 16, 2007.

1. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

In response to one of my threads someone replied that their RV only got 7mpg. Now given the cost of diesel and the need to reduce our carbon footprint and save the planet is that the type of vehicle we really should driving? Surely you don't need such a gas guzzling beast to enjoy the open road?:Eek!:

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Probably my posting and yes:Wink::Laughing::BigGrin:

I have 2 large dogs and favour my bus.

Your away all the time in your vehicle doing a huge mileage whereas I rarely get away so we all do our bit for the planet differently:Wink::BigGrin:

PS:- 7 mpg is the worst and 9 more usual :Wink::RollEyes:

Suppose we could all buy bicycles and tents though (now would that help save the planet?):Wink:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Hmmm i wonder if the governments who are pouring billions into the global warming issue were to put that money into solutions such as a pollution free vehicle instead of taking us back to the dark ages would that not be a better spend of the money. I must admit for once I'm inclined to agree with the US :Eeek: in that technology may hold the major part of the answer. Says he donning tin helmet and ducking beneath the parapet.:Wink:

PS I only have a small m/home.

:BigGrin:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

My RV does about 10 to the gallon on a good day But by offset I am pretty carbon neutral.

I have a massive house, everyone has at least one room to themselves, with PCs TVs Game consoles, hair straighteners, etc My fuel bill is around £2800 a year. When we switch the house off and get out in the RV we are saving the planet:Smile:

You two could help save the planet. The miles you do in your Rapido are around 5 times the average RVer miles. Now you get about 3 or 4 times the amount per mile, but count the amount of fuel burnt and you probably pollute more:Smile: Shame on you:Rofl1:

5. Road Runner

But a heavy right foot Ken?:Wink:

Cant believe you only get 7 mpg:Wink::Laughing::BigGrin::Rofl1:

6. Munchie

I get about 30/34 depending how I drive it. I did downsize my car from a Santa Fe to a getz 25mpg average to 60 average :Eeek:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Everyone has the right to choose whatever mode of transport they want, be it jetting away several times a year or enjoying their gas guzzler on the open road... buildings, not transport are the worst polluters but while on the subject why don't we restrict 4 x 4s , F1 racing, motocross, and any other sport that uses an internal combustion engine .. aint gonna happen is it.. each to their own I say.. and as RR said, it's not the mpg that matters but how much carbon you emit over a given period, by full timing in my 14 mpg RV I emit far far less carbon than a house dweller.

8. Road Runner

I was only teasing:Wink:

But a Santa Fe only 25 mpg:RollEyes: is this a heavy right foot?:Doh::Laughing::Wink:

Mind you i had a Sorento that claimed 35 -45 mpg but could rarely get much over 23 mpg:Doh::cry:

My current Jeep does around 15 mpg but on LPG:Wink:

9. Munchie

Hi John I know you were teasing. The Santy got a lot of short journey use up and down to Steph's Mums and we no longer needed a 4X4. Have to admit I'm impressed by the Getz it sips fuel quite nippy and with a 5 year warranty and 3 free services it's a good deal. :BigGrin:

10. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

This was a good article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2195538.ece

Covers a number of issues but the first suggests you cause more environmental damage walking 3 miles than using the car :Eeek:

Paul

PS anyone having the same problem of not being able to add smileys until you do a preview and the you can add them?

11. Road Runner

With global warming have we not been there before?

And will we not adapt as and when?

Why should I put my senior years on hold to let the Indian and Chinese pollute the planet with industry and the most polluting old vehicle they drive about in belching out smoke.

Also in China there are coal mines that are so over mined they are alight and cannot be extinguished belching out god knows what:Doh:

No i will enjoy my vehicles when I can although the government is taxing me to death in the name of global warming (who are they kidding?:Wink:)

12. Enodreven

Enodreven xMember

Mistake

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

More waste!!!!!
    Have you any idea Paul, the impact that mistake has had on the planet Tut tut tut:Cool::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo
    Now look Iv'e responded to it and doubled the problem, see what youve done

14. Road Runner

:thumb::Rofl1::thumb::Rofl1::thumb::Rofl1:

15. kijana

kijana Read Only Funster

We average just under 10 mpg in our RV. As fulltimers, our miles per year (UK, France, Spain, Portugal, UK) are approx 7,000.

As a wage slave, in a year I commuted up to 15,000 miles, plus weekend & leisure driving, plus holiday touring. Plus Marion's driving on farm & shopping business.

So say total of 22,000 miles at around 35 mpg.

Which means in petrol consumption we're just about the same. But the difference is our RV is much more economical in household energy consumption than our house was.

So I think the energy police should subsidize my lifestyle as a fulltimer :Wink:

Bruce

16. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

A couple of points. Why does everyone assume that we all want to save the planet?

I like warm winters and hot summers! and, I am still not convinced that latest climate change is caused by man, what caused all of the other ones? Why did the Victorians build the Lighthouse in Whitby in the middle of the town as they got fed up with the sea level rising and knocking the others down?:restmycase:

At £1.10 a litre just think how much duty I give to Gordon and his muppets which has a green levy built in (according to previous budgets)

Besides, I walk to work everyday and so does my wife!

I think that it is a dangerous thing to point a fingers at one part of ones lifestlye and make snap judgements not knowing anything else about the accused's "green" credentials.

17. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Of course we should all be reducing our 'carbon footprints'.
    Any one of the 15,000 people who flew into Bali for last week's UN conference could tell you that. :RollEyes:

I know where I'd like to leave my carbon bootprint ....... :Eeek:

18. Road Runner

I think global warming is drummed into kids at school.

Not sure it fair to programme our kids this way.

Off topic now:RollEyes:

Would prefer this history of this country taught with a higher profile

19. Munchie

I'm with you I think this whole thing is just another way to grab our hard earned. Throughout history this happens from time to time it's just the natural order of things. :BigGrin:

20. artona

artona

Hi

[/I]Would prefer this history of this country taught with a higher profile[/I]

Would you John. I read an article the other day about Captain Kidd. Started off life as a Privateer, sponsored by The King to hunt Britain's enemies, usually the French and Spanish.

When he attacked a British ship we changed his title to Pirate and eventually caught him and hung him.

The rope broke so we hung him again.

We then put his body in a steel cage and hung that over the Thames for two years to rot.

History they never taught me at school, often people like to rewrite history but often history will come back to haunt us

stew