Oh, that's how it works moment... Brilliant. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This video explains how the differential works. It is so well done I wanted to share.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40ZBDAG8-o"]How Differential Gear works must see 100% - YouTube[/ame]

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Wow - how ingenious is that ?

Always wondered why my Hilux crabs in four wheel drive when trying to park.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good demonstration :thumb:

Invented by the Chinese..
South-pointing chariot (Science Museum model)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 505px-South-pointing_chariot_(Science_Museum_model).jpg
    505px-South-pointing_chariot_(Science_Museum_model).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 19
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
About 30 years ago I had a group of cubs in my drive, I was taking them on a 'course, so they could get their 'mechanics' badge, I showed them the plugs and points, demonstrated a wheel change etc. and out of the blue one of them asked about the wheels going at different speeds:Eeek:, I said there was a differential in the back axle that allowed the wheels to go at different speeds and he said Oh yes, and how does that work?....wish I had access to that video then Grommet:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Wow you learn something every day.

I had a Nissan Patrol for 3 months in 07 to tow the boat to the Faroes, never needed to use the 4 wheel drive but now I understand what the diff lock was for. :Doh:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Perfect.:thumb: Now I understand. So what was all that stuff about 'sun and planets' that I was utterly confused by? :Doh:

John

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Wow, that took me back to the late 70's.
I can remember during my apprenticeship the hardest part of vehicles for me to understand was the 'diff' - engines, gearboxes and the basic electronics of the day - no problems. Frustration :cry:

I read about, stripped down, rebuilt and theorised on this subject for ages and STILL couldn't get it to sink in,,,,,, until, an old, very old engineer sat me down on a lunch break out the back of the workshop and set about to explain the diff with a few blocks of wood and rods - then - suddenly (not too sure why) it clicked and since then has remained with me. No end of lectures, reading and studying could get me to understand the 'magic' that went on within the axle until that day, I will never forget it.

Your video was excellent (could have done with seeing that years ago) but how easy it was put across - feel a tad 'silly' for how long it took me to get to grips with the diff workings :roflmto: however, one of life's mysteries that I understand - just wish there was a similar video for 'our' polititions on budgetting.

Great bit of research there and thanks for sharing it!

Regards

Trikeman.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back