OH, SH*T, WHAT HAVE I DONE.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, May 31, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have just taken delivery of my new Hymer ML-I it is a 580 with an Automatic gearbox and a few extras.
    In order to find out what I have as a payload i have gone to TWO weighbridges.
    The van is loaded as I would use it less water and waste water it has full fuel 87kgs me and wifey at 68kgs each a few bits of food in cans at 16kgs no clothes but a spare wheel in the back and some tools. and two gasit cylinders full in the back. NO solar or awnings.
    I bought the van as it was a 3500kg model that I can drive when my C1E licence is revoked soon, as my Chausson was too heavy at 3860 kg.
    The new van weighs 3580 at one bridge and 3880 at the other but a combined front and rear weight of 4140 using two axle weights together, this not only make me illegal at gross but the axle weights are over the limits at 1940 front and 2200 at the rear front limit is 1940kg and the rear at 2200kg.
    I bought this van as it was the lightweight under 3500kg model and it carries an uprate to 3880kgs.
    There is no reason it should come out at these weights other than a bit of light rain. The rated accuracy according to the official figure for a weighbridge is 0.01% new and 0.02 in service. both of them give different figures but both would make me illegal if I put a bit of water in and certainly if I put the little bike in the garage by a few hundred kilos.
    WTF is going on with these vans are they a lot heavier than the makers declare or is the weighing to blame????
    What do I do with it, it is workable for now with reduced fuel tankage and no water and nothing in the garage at all, the new spare being left behind and no passengers although it is a four seater four berth van.
    I am going to sit down now and using the Hymer declared weight for the basic vehicle and all the options see what they say it should be compared to the actual weighings obtained. I have a feeling I have just blown £75000.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

I am not best placed to advise I am sure someone will come along who is however imho the van is not fit for purpose at 3500kg as sold. So I would return it for a full refund.
    I cannot see how they could refuse.

3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

There have been several threads on payloads and margins lately. It's sometimes suggested we insist on taking the van to a weighbridge before we commit ourselves but I've yet to hear of anyone who has done it, or a dealer who would let you. I feel for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I think you need to contact the dealer asap - the van is not what was sold to you.

I can't comment on the weighbridge differences but there is something very wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Impressed you are only 68kg.

I was more than that when I was 15 and now I am considerably more as I am still growing.

Hope you get some sensible replies and solutions(y)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I did this on a second hand van we were thinking of buying. It turned out there was no payload (it was overweight empty) and there was no cheap way to upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I was plated at 3880kg when I bought it so they are right there. It is what Hymer say it should be and not what the weighbridges say.
    I need to find a proper weighbridge and not one plastered in mud and dirt that is certified recently but they are a bit scarce around here.
    The problem arises in two years time, when the licence flies away, as I do no qualify for the C1E as I will not pass the medical threadmill test. I will have to thrash the bum off it riding around Europe whilst I can, low fuel it, no wifey, no bike, no water, no spare wheel, and no tins of food, wear the same clothes all the time. That should fit the bill as I will be fed up on my 70th. I can uprate it to 4000 or even 4200kgs theoretically but a bit of a fuss to do it. That will be my first way of attacking the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

What are the weights on the C of C?
    The techinal MIRO will show the ex works weight including factory fitted extras and the usual inclusion of 75kg for driver, 20lt of water, 90% fuel and one 11kg aluminium gas bottle.
    Must admin a bit surprised that you would be able to run an ML at 3500, I ended up upgrading my Exsis to 3850 and that came out of the factory under weight.

9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Do you know if the treadmill test is always required and exactly what it entails?

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You may not have to worry recommendations have gone to parliament to increase the age limit to 75.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Not sure if this helps with the weighbridge - possibly the two you have used.

http://www.dover.gov.uk/A-Z/Weighbridges.aspx

Also with such a difference in weights (did you get a ticket from each?) it might be worth talking to trading standards as one or both the weighbridges are wrong.

12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Either way it isn't good but as has been mentioned one or both of those weigh bridges has to be wrong.

When we bought our Rapido the dealer did say right from the start that it wouldn't work at 3500 and therefore was plated higher.

I take it there was never a conversation like that with your dealer?

Obviously you need a weigh bridge ticket you can trust but armed with that I'd be interested in what the dealer has to say for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I think plate weighbridge tolerances are +/- 50 kg, and dynamic ones +/- 110kg they check them at 17 - 18 tonne.

14. chaser

chaser Funster

Something drastically wrong with the weigh bridges, 300 kilo difference, that's 6 cwt in old money , if they are at scrap yards , I know where I'd be taking my old iron(y):)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I thought, (unsure), that the road weight (unloaded) was taken with a tank of fuel, the driver, and spare wheel etc. This sounds like a right cock up by the dealer. Find a local authority weighbridge, they are checked on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 2
  16. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There isn't a standard, all the converters have a different way of calculating it - some use full fuel and water, some use half and half or full and half and so on.

Definitely a major cock up by the dealer though if either of those weights are anywhere near accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I'm a moron. I just pump up the rear air bags until the bl**dy thing looks level. (y)(y) Sod the weight.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

@GWAYGWAY, I have read your post a couple of times and am still unsure..
    You say :

This uprate you mention.. Is it plated at 3880 already or is it something that you could pick up as a possible at some other time ?

19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I'd have expected 2 identical weighbridge tickets.
    There's definitely something wrong with one of the weighbridges & I'd use the link @Puddleduck gave to find out what.
    I always use a public weighbridge here & then check with my builders one. They are both rated at 70,000kgs & always come out with identical weights.
    Even at 0,01% accuracy new that can be a discrepancy of 700kgs & at 0,02% in use is 1400kgs.

*dynamic bridge allowance is +/- 150kgs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

DITTO

• Like Like x 2