LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
I can't remember who predicted that our virgin MH (hire) trip to the Loire this year would be 'The most expensive holiday' was, but they turned out to be 'spot on!'.
Yesterday we placed a deposit on our 1st MH, a 2011 Elddis Majestic, collecting it in a week or so and am sooooo excited.
Consequently folks, this will ensure a flurry of questions seeking all your great advice.
Here goes:-

1. Advice on wheel clamps ?

2. Whilst in France we stayed on a site near Calais for our last evening (close to the tunnel) and it cost a fortune !! The poor receptionist was quite embarrassed but said if we had an ACSI (or similar) card it would have saved us €10 !

??????????????

Thanks all

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I can't remember who predicted that our virgin MH (hire) trip to the Loire this year would be 'The most expensive holiday' was, but they turned out to be 'spot on!'.
Yesterday we placed a deposit on our 1st MH, a 2011 Elddis Majestic, collecting it in a week or so and am sooooo excited.
Consequently folks, this will ensure a flurry of questions seeking all your great advice.
Here goes:-

2. Whilst in France we stayed on a site near Calais for our last evening (close to the tunnel) and it cost a fortune !! The poor receptionist was quite embarrassed but said if we had an ACSI (or similar) card it would have saved us €10 !

??????????????

Thanks all
Wat majestic have u went for

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
1 Never used a wheel clamp. Rely on immobiliser and alarm instead.

2 Get a ACSI discount card - gives great discounts out of season for well over 2000 camp sites in Europe. Details can be found . Costs about 12 Euros per year and I saved 5 times that much in the first fortnight I used it in France

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Campsites are expensive! I'd advise the use of Aires with a M/H only using sites occasionally but not as holiday destinations as such

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Thanks Peterc10. We have an alarm but not an immobiliser (I think !), must clarify that next week. The clamp was a thought whilst the vehicle was parked on the drive, as a 'visible' more than anything really.
Brilliant link for the card. You're absolutely right. Following the shock of the price I spoke with a neighbouring Dutch couple who passed on the info of said card and like yourself had saved enormously. Thanks, again

Thank you, Wyn. We did use a couple of Ayres (bought the book!) in France. Blois was the first only a little tricky to find and gain entrance. Very basic but central location not to be faulted !
Another was more or less a pic-nic site near Chambord. Only 4 vans but 'smack' on the bank of the Loire just the place to dip your toes, bliss.

Thanks all
IMG_1428.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You should definitely have an immobiliser on your vehicle already as any more recent vehicle should have come have as standard with it, if for some reason it hadn't then I would expect your alarm to have one linked to it anyway.

Wheel clamps are a pain the arse to put on and getting one big enough for your MHs wheels won't be easy, and probably be expensive - in my mind it would actually make me think you DID NOT have any other form of protection ... so personally I'd forget that one.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ref ACSI, do not dive in and buy now, they are dated, if you can still find a 2014 card it will expire in December

We buy ours on a subscription, new book and card turns up each year (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
All good advice guys I knew you all could be relied upon - thank you

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ref ACSI, do not dive in and buy now, they are dated, if you can still find a 2014 card it will expire in December

We buy ours on a subscription, new book and card turns up each year (y)
Good advicet unless you are going on another trip to Europe this autumn. It will normally pay for itself within a few nights on campsites. We got our first one about this time last year and went off to France in late September for a fortnight. Saved over 5 times the cost in that time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
We are ok on that front. Bad timing really, we already have another trip booked so not able to take it abroad this ,unless I cancel a few things mmm :wondering:

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Good luck with the Majestic 165. I've got one of Marquis' 155's. For the price, brilliant 'van. Very pleased with it. Just come back from a trip to Luxembourg, Switzerland, France and Italy. All those little extras that Marquis fit are really handy and I used them all.

On the subject of wheel clamps, I've got one from Milenco. Use it all the time and don't feel that it's a nuisance. Just got to be disciplined. Takes 30 seconds to fit. It's bright yellow and a real deterrent. This means that if someone wants to nick the MoHo, they either need a lo-loader or an angle grinder (they prob won't bother and will move on to another 'van).

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I

??????????????

Thanks all

forget wheel clamps - get the new motorhome down to EddieVanBitz and get his tracker & alarm system installed - he does one that doesnt need a monthly contract and it can reduce your insurance.

Congratulations

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Nice van Wingman, don't tell me you have a plane parked on the drive next to your 155 :rock:
Think I might have my first attack of 'van envy', think you don't have 2 x seatbelted seats in the leisure area, thus compromising the kitchen space ??!!
Have Marquis been good to you ?

Others have said and made a valid point, that observers may think your clamp is the only theft deterrent ?

Ourcamper....... thank you. Being new to all this and not having researched the wealth of knowledge needed to own this huge investment. How does the tracker/payment thing work ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back