Oh hell ... now I'm in trouble!!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Alas my panel van days are nearly over as the Revoloution model I was getting was just not practical @ 3500 :(

So its probably a lightweight A class? Hymer or Carthago. Going to see some on way home from Spain mid may in belgium.....

Need more room to take the cats while waiting for kids to produce grandchildren to spoil..:LOL:
WHATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! A coachbuilt bodied one!!!!! Are you feeling okay Eddie, you must be very, very sick ... and, on top of that, you're talking about spoiling your moggies!!!! o_O

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
just buy him a large bottle of single malt. he will forget by the morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The width, or lack of it, is what is important to us - length isn't such an issue as it's only a bit longer but the width is what we've found out over the years, what make the difference as to which places we can get to and which we can't ... of course, although this is only a bit wider it IS wider ... and yes I have REMINDED him of that! :)
Are we still referring to motorhomes or does Jim need to move this to the belly locker !

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are we still referring to motorhomes or does Jim need to move this to the belly locker !
To quote the great Dick Emery "Ooooo ... you are a naughty boy ... but I like you!":X3:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update - we've chatted to the owners of a Swift Rio 340 and they kindly let us have a little look at it and they confirmed my fears (hopes!) that the storage is minimal! The dinette seat is pretty much stuffed with a large 'box' right slap bang in the middle into which the charger etc is set so not much storage there at all. One rear sofas has the boiler etc in so about 2/3rds of the storage is lost to that, the other one apparently is clear. What appears to be a very large cupboard in the kitchen between the cooker and fridge isn't ... it's actually where the gas locker is (accessed from outside) so the only lower kitchen storage is a cutlery drawer and a slim cooker at the end between the cooker and the rear nearside sofa. There's no overcab storage to speak of due to the very large opening overcab window.

Unfortunately (fortunately!(y)) this rules out the Swift Rio 340 completely. :D

.... but .... we're reconsidering the Globecar Familyscout L again ... we've been drooling over Ludo's van (Rex and Janet) and despite some compromises it still ticks a lot of boxes ... hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Further update on the possible 'van purchase' ... after perusing the internet and chatting to some owners again and dealers and doing a bit of hard bargaining we finally did a stonking deal ... so what are getting? Well, it's a ....

.... patience children !

wait for it ....

a Globecar Family L - unregistered 2014 model with approx 250 miles on in a nice Golden White metallic colour! :X3:

We're picking it up in 3 weeks to give time for it to be registered etc and also give me time to get our Accent back in its original trim/state ready for handing over ... I've just about finally fettled ours to how I want it too ... now I'm gonna have to start all over again with the new one! :rolleyes:

We'd already picked up some bargains at the show BEFORE we knew we were definitely changing, such as a couple of flexible solar panels and a no 2 refillable 6kg Gaslow bottle, so guess they'll come in handy now!:D

Getting a bit excited now!!! :LOL:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Look around any campsite... Swift group motorhomes and caravans outnumber all others by at least 10 to 1 . Are we saying they are all damp? I think not.
Don't get me on this German is best B****cks, I've had 2 damp German vans and no damp Swifts!
On our fourth Swift.

We had the damp problem with the floor on our Sundance but that only applied to a relatively short production run.

So far Swift Royale, no serious problems; Swift Gazelle, no serious problems; Swift Sundance with the damp floor repaired under dealer warranty, and our current Swift Esprit, bought six weeks ago. Now almost 3000 miles on clock and no serious problems.

Only M/H we have had with serious problems was a "quality" brand new Auto Sleeper.. So many problems in eighteen months we got rid of it.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My last email from them:
"I can advise that our terms and conditions still remain this conditions remains the same and that the warranty policy only applies to motorhomes purchased and used primarily within the UK and that the motorhome is not used for continuous journeys outside of the UK of longer than 90 days per journey. We would recommend referring to the Fiat of Peugeot handbook for use of the base vehicle outside of the UK. "​
So as its the body not the actual 'vehicle' that's not covered I suppose it's not TOO bad.....???
It also refers to the ten year extended warranty on bodywork, not the manufacturers three year warranty as I understand it.

Still a perverse rule although, as our trips are always 60-70 days, will not affect our Swift.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
WHATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! A coachbuilt bodied one!!!!! Are you feeling okay Eddie, you must be very, very sick ... and, on top of that, you're talking about spoiling your moggies!!!! o_O

you have got it in one Mel. by the way not a coachbuilt but an A class. It has been forced upon me by the needs of my kittens. they like the large panoramic window and sill of an A class...so needs must. I now see why some dotty old people leave there money to pets rather then relations..it makes absolute sense now:D

Just want a fully winterised, comfortable van for long stays over the winter, and more adventurous Scandinavian trips which we miss...its only really in the last year or two these lightweight A class have become available, not previously an option for a diabetic:)

waiting.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
a Globecar Family L - unregistered 2014 model with approx 250 miles on in a nice Golden White metallic colour! :X3:

We're picking it up in 3 weeks to give time for it to be registered etc and also give me time to get our Accent back in its original trim/state ready for handing over ... I've just about finally fettled ours to how I want it too ... now I'm gonna have to start all over again with the new one! :rolleyes:

We'd already picked up some bargains at the show BEFORE we knew we were definitely changing, such as a couple of flexible solar panels and a no 2 refillable 6kg Gaslow bottle, so guess they'll come in handy now!:D

Getting a bit excited now!!! :LOL:

A real step up Mel, you will love it I'm sure....a few people I know have that model. The larger lounge real nice for a PVC. my work here is nearly done although you need to consider the next step...... LHD! and far better value vans :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well they've always been an option for a diabetic on insulin of course and still are - however since we all lost our grandfather/mother rights to 'over 3500kg' - I lost mine just 3 years ago at last renewal - if we kept it, which was entirely at our option, licences had to be renewed every 12 months following a medical which we have to pay for - similar to just being age 70 and wanting to keep it.

However - having lost it - we would now have to take the driving test currently applicable, before we could get it back.

So really - it's our own choice - we do still have the option !!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A real step up Mel, you will love it I'm sure....a few people I know have that model. The larger lounge real nice for a PVC. my work here is nearly done although you need to consider the next step...... LHD! and far better value vans :)
Actually Eddie we did very seriously consider getting a LHD one and did some research and also visited some dealers whilst on holiday abroad recently but by the time we'd spec'd up a van to what we wanted, done the importing etc, even with the better exchange rate now, there wouldn't have actually been that much in it from what I can tell, then of course there'd be the aggro of selling our current PVC which we're actually getting a good PX for, probably only just below what it would be worth on the open market but PXing it means we don't have the hassle for the little bit of more money we might get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back