Oh Dear, Is My Trusty Old Kindle History?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JJ, Mar 7, 2013.

1. JJ

JJ Funster

The Kindle, like a Fray Bentos pie, is perfectly suited to Motorhoming.

Store a thousand books (on the Kindle, not a pie) in your van without taking up the space needed for one paperback.

Read for hours without getting aching arms.

Sit outside in the sun reading without worrying about glare on the screen.

As a few of you might know, I tend not to do much sitting outside in the sun so I don't really use the anti-glare facility much and today I eventually got around to loading the (free) Kindle app. on my new super, duper, all bells and whistles, God how I love it, Android Jelly Bean driven (4.1) Galaxy Note 2 (GN2 to geeks like me).

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! (The touch screen makes it even easier to use than the Kindle itself.)

As I have allowed myself to fall into Google's clutches (after decades of refusing to become an Apple lacky) I am starting to marvel at the link up between applications...

I press a button on the GN2 and ask verbally "where am I?" and up comes a map on the screen showing exactly where I am. After loading the Kindle software and logging in to my account, it opened the book I was reading on the page I had reached!

You might think I am getting a bit carried away with this staggering device and you would be right, but I am nowhere as bad as a certain "LucidMike78" who publishes daily a short video tutorial teaching users stuff about the GN2 on YouTube.

Anyone who has this device is recommended to check these videos out... there are now over a hundred of them... but beware... it becomes addictive.

If any motorhomer is looking for a device which you can slip into your pocket and on which you can...

surf Motorhome Fun and all the other websites...

watch videos, TV and the Iplayer...

listen to the radio and your music collection...

take and edit photos (8 mega pixels) and videos...

play games either on your own or against the world via the web...

read and write documents and spread sheets (either by typing, hand writing or speaking)...

video or voice call your friends around the world by Skype (or similar)...

read books and newspapers (Daily Ma*l doesn't seem to work)...

draw and/or paint pictures..

navigate you to places... find restaurants, shops, museums, cinemas, theatres (and Burger Kings)...

and so much, much, much more then I recommend the Galaxy Note 2.

Small(ish) with a big(ish) screen and charges without the need for inverters, generators or EHUs.

Oh... one more thing... you can make and receive phone calls on it too...

The GN2 ROOLS...

JJ:Cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  2. philw111

philw111 Funster

I think I must be old-fashioned.

A couple of sayings from years ago come to mind whenever I hear of gadgets that can do everything - "Jack of all trades, master of none" and "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

What happens if they break or go missing? :Eeek:

If I want to read a book, I'll use my e-reader (or indeed a book:Doh:) - if I want to make a phone call, I'll use a phone - if I want to listen to music, I'll use my MP3 player or Internet radio - if I want to know where I'm going, I'll use a map (remember them:thumb:) or, occasionally, a sat-nav.

Each to their own, I suppose. I'll just remain old-fashioned and happy:Smile:

Phil

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh JJ, had me worried there, thought the Kindle had gone on the blink, sounds as if its doing what you wanted it to, good when a plan comes together :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

Good for you Phil... you are a man after my own heart!

I hold exactly the same view.

For sat nav in the van I use a TomTom.

but on foot/bicycle/Solex... the GN2 is useful... don't have the Tomtom in my pocket.

I have a dvd player but what a faff... cables, chargers, remote control. So I use my laptop... but I don't go everywhere with my laptop and I don't take it to bed... last night I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I watched some YouTube vids on the GN2 which I do take to bed!!!

You are right about using the proper thing for the job and I will not get rid of any of my other devices... you can never have too many gadgets!

I don't agree about the maps though... can't carry all the A to Zs of all the Cities in Europe in your pocket...

(By the way Phil, I live in a van not a house, in a van it is heavy and space consuming to carry books and maps... lol)

JJ :Cool:

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

does it come complete with magnifying glass and vouchers for the opticians, oh and a bank loan to buy it as well

6. JJ

JJ Funster

Roger... the GN2 screen is hardly much smaller than the Kindle... (have you seen one?).

No bank loan needed for purchase... just careful managing of the family fortune and not throwing money away on frivolous things like campsites (tarmac carparks) or clothes or drink. :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

7. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I remember people raving about the Wankel rotary engines.

I also believe that Grundid offered a competent video system but this was outsold by the Betamax offering.

But there's no harm in being quirky.

Must dash I'm off to the TVR showroom!

8. JJ

JJ Funster

So Sidney, are you using a box camera now or are you still a pinhole camera disciple? :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

None of this "quirky" digital stuff for you... (it will never catch on will it?) :Wink:

Can't stop... got to get a pen and write on a piece of paper and put the paper into another bit of folded paper and stick a sticky square on the front and find a metal box in a street somewhere and feed it with the result and in five days my daughter will have news from me...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

PS. I wanted one so very badly but Dad was worried about a car named Trevor!

• Like Like x 1
  9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Yeah right ....soon you'll tell us it's making coffee too!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Errrr....and you say it can make phone calls too??? ...Well I can't remember having had a phone call from you lately:Angry:

Sorry my Prince , someone has to be on the devil's side sometimes... I'll stand by God 's side this time:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Your Darling Princess:Cool: (do remember this after you read this post:Blush:)

• Like Like x 4
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

Can't afford to call you Princess... I am saving up for the 64 gigabyte memory card and the roll up external keyboard :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. tofo

tofo Funster

Seeing as it does all that

The big question is

Will it help you win

the funsters quiz tonight
    :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

:Blush::Blush::Blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sidney

Sidney Funster

On a slightly more serious note I did receive a Kindle as a Valentines gift. Up until then I have used the 4th Gen Kindle and found it pretty good. The new beast (Kindle Paperwhite) has a backlit e-ink touch screen. It is prime beef compared with the Findus lasagne of my old 4th gen. It features an intuitive user interface missing from previous models and a nice easy grip rubberised case.

On the subject of Frey Bentos did you know they mix up the ingredients in their pies? There's a surprisingly high percentage of chicken in the beef pie? (or was it the other way round) :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Phewwww... I thought you were saving to buy a big screen to watch some people ... all in blue running after some funny shaped ball ... (only the egg shape is a valid one to me)... so somehow it's a good piece of news:BigGrin::BigGrin:

Froggy Frankie

14. WillH

WillH Funster

I got a kindle when they first came out. It is brilliant. My wife got a tablet sometime ago and uses it a lot. This week she got a Kindle. Reading on a tablet is fine, the Kindle is better though it doesn't have a backlit screen. We don't read in the dark.

Kindle rules, OK.

Bill

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJ

JJ Funster

A GN2 is not a tablet... :Eeek:

It is a Phablet.

16. tofo

tofo Funster

Very similar to I phones and I pads and on and on

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I remember driving the first NSU one when it came into the country, a demo day at a hotel in Burnley - but I don't recall anything about the experience. It must have been that impressive.

I seem to recall VW bought it, chucked out the Wankel and created the first Passat.

It's sad when such a good idea turns out not to be.

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I am already sold and looking forward to starting to save up for one.
    Got MOT on tuesday, also have to replace the rear suspension, replace the oil sump and get a new fridge first though:shout:.... But after that it is top of my list :thumb:.

Your recommendation was what put me over the top.

19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I believe high wear, and poor fuel efficiency was the problem. But it was common sense to try and change from an upitty downiddy motion to a roundy roundy motion :Wink:

20. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I'm not sure exactly how true this is - that NSU drivers had their own special wave when they passed each other - they'd hold up the number of fingers reflecting how many replacement engines they'd had!

• Like Like x 1