Oh crap.. Bloody poxy bloody bloody gearbox AGAIN (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last year we had a new ( recon ) gear box fitted.
After a few months it was noticed it was leaking oil.
Only the odd drip but still of concern
Took it to a local bloke who was sure it was a poorly fitted 5th gear end plate
Spent about £50 with him and he assured me he had removed the plate, checked it was flat, refitted it properly and refilled the oil
Did Spain and noticed it was leaking again.
Went to a different garage ( Russian guys with a red hot reputation )
They called me round and upon inspection I saw what they did.. The end of the box the plate goes on is actually cracked.. At some time the thing had been dropped, bent , pulled back in place and painted over
They spent two days sorting it all out.. More wonga, more oil but they said if it still leaks, let em know and they would have another go at it FOC

Went to Plymouth Thursday and Friday
When we got there the near side of the van is covered in oil and yep, its leaking like a bloody sieve again
I have a very nasty feeling I am gonna end up getting another bill for another gearbox ...

As to the original supplier.. Nowt to do with us mate.. yer right..
It is a gearbox refurbishers located in the Blackpool area..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's a bummer.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope it doesnt cost too much and this time of year sucks when you want to be using it and not having it sat in a garage.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If the worse happens it will cost me another £800 or so.. But been to see the Russians this morning and they looked really embarrassed and crest fallen that their fix had failed.
I told them to have another go but if all else fails to change the box out.. No choice really
One good thing.. It is useable for short trips, and once they find a box they will change it more or less while I wait !

They are clearing some space for me on Monday and I am to take it round there at 17:30.. They said they will work through the night if needs be.. ( can you imagine a brit mechanic saying that ! )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They said they will work through the night if needs be.. ( can you imagine a brit mechanic saying that ! )

sorry to hear about the box problems John .. hopefully sorted out soon and if anyone can ..the Ruskies can (y)

Before retiring I had quite a few working for me.. Russians, Ukrainians, Indians and Sri Lankans.. all hard working and conscientious.. particularly the guys from Sri Lanka..

"not possible" , "too difficult," "can't do it," "no spares" .. wasn't in their vocabulary .. it was always.. no problem Jimmy.. we can do it (y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
PITA - but aftr they get the box out, it should be more than possible to get it degreased, the crack ground out and have it TIG welded. They are aluminium castings I believe.

But - not while you wait, LOL

I had to have the top bracket welded on the oil cooler on the Blackbird, and that's held fine since.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The cracks seem to be spreading
It is leaking in a further back place than the fix ..
But these guys can get the box out in less 45 minutes and refitted in 90 minutes ! Watched them do a Ducato a couple of weeks ago.
Chap drove in, we was chatting, by the time the coffee was gone the box was on the deck ! I just could not believe it ...

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Good luck with these guys,I hope you get it finally fixed once and for all.
Too much money and stress spent to keep having leaks.Hope it's done quickly and not too hard on the pocket.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Trophychap added after Jaws next response following his, that it sounded more like it was a crap casting to him, if it's cracking all over. In which case, completely swapping it is the best if not the only, bet.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Good luck John. I hope it's not too costly (y)o_O

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009