Offline mapping program

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by olley, Jun 9, 2014.

1. olley

olley Funster

Been looking for an offline mapping program which you can easily load poi's into, I bought Autoroute which does the job, but is soooooooo clunky, redraw is painfully slow. I have tried one or two free ones but adding poi's seems a bit convoluted. Navigator free by mapfactor is good but I can't find anyway to load poi's.

Anybody got any favourites.

Ian

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

AutoRoute is usually very quick? I don't have a problem with mine & it's the best I've found.

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Mapswithme? I uze it to keep a record of aires & stopovers we use.

4. olley

olley Funster

Sorry guys should have said for a PC running windows 8.1. When I said redraw was slow I meant as you move the map it doesn't move smoothly, also when you zoom in or out it takes time to redraw the screen. Others I looked seem much better. Computer is a Lenovo Ultrabook with an i7 processor, so I don't think its the computer.

Ian

5. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I suspect there's a problem some where else as my MS 2013 runs fine. Smooth transitions and zoom function works fine. The only issue I have is hat my GPS locator does not work with Win 8 so I'm still using Win 7 on an old laptop when touring. What I really like is the independence from having to have a net connection.

Personally, I find MS autoroute really functional and far easier to use when scanning maps and routes than my TomTom. POI's are easy to find on the net and easy to install. Personal Poi's can be produced easily and saved as any other data.

6. keith

keith Funster

Another vote for this one from me. Very useful to be able to load .klm files with all it's POI's right onto it.

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Worth checking your video chip has the right drivers and is working correctly.

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I have autoroute on my PC and would like something similar for my Android-based Samsung Galaxy. I've tried a few from the app store but none that seem so easy to use. Any suggestions?

Wyn

9. SMB

SMB Funster

I have Autoroute 2013 on my laptop running windows 8.1 and it works fine, never tried any others so can't offer any comparisons :Smile:

10. olley

olley Funster

Checked the display drivers and it looks like I have the latest versions. It not un-usable, just not as smooth as google maps.

Ian

11. TerryL

TerryL Funster

How many POIs are you loading? I,ve found that having too many POI files open at the same time slows my netbook down - I keep different categories in different files and only activate the ones I'm using.

Also I think it's possible to reduce the detail displayed but not sure how.

Terry

12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Road atlas and a felt tip pen works for me.......:Blush:

Isle satnavs all the time when in car/van and the more they are used the less they are trusted..... The car has a built in one and the van has both copilot on the phone and navgate. I don't think you can add poi's to either very easily so they may not be the right ones

13. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

We use Autoroute for both mapping and Navigating. I find that if I use one of the larger POI files with a route containing quite a few stopovers on the route it can slow my netbook down. My answer to this is to to hide some of the POI elements by right clicking and selecting 'hide pushpin set' this cuts down the amount of information the graphics need to reposition as the vehicle moves.
    Second solution is, making sure you are using a copy of your main POI file, right click and mouse draw rectangles round areas that you will not be going anywhere near. Right click within that box and delete the visible pushpins in that box. You can also draw round the area you want and then delete everything else. This will really clear out the clutter and you will notice the difference but do make sure you are using a copy of your main file.
    Great program we use nothing else.

• Like Like x 1