Off to the Western Isles and NC500 (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
24685.gif
Its only taken 52 years, but today we are heading off out to the Western Isles. :D. inspired by lovely photos from @Ralph-n-Bev. then following on to pick up the rest of the NC500 which some of it I've already seen.

Apart from the stunning beaches what else is a must see.? Did I read of someone buying sheepskins for their cab seats?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Have a lovely time and we look forward to seeing your pics :)(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Really, really want to do this.......... the problem is dragging Mrs Deluxe away from home for more than about 10 days.......

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Have a great time, we will do one day in camper although have been to the very top in the car. Remember plenty photos.(y)

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013, moved from towing caravans
View attachment 110047 Its only taken 52 years, but today we are heading off out to the Western Isles. :D. inspired by lovely photos from @Ralph-n-Bev. then following on to pick up the rest of the NC500 which some of it I've already seen.

Apart from the stunning beaches what else is a must see.? Did I read of someone buying sheepskins for their cab seats?

Yes I have them after a recommendation on here and we love them. Bit more costly than other but well worth it as quality is superb. Go see their place when you are in Skye but beware of urge to spend as Mrs Kane had to be dragged screaming and kicking away from the amazing rugs they display ...

Hope the weather picks up again, have fun (y)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We've had a fantastic 12 days on Lewis and Harris in May, made even better thanks to the glorious weather.
There is a pleasant community museum and cafe at Tabost near Port Nis.
Black house at Arnol.
Blackhouse village near Carlabhagh.
Dun Carloway Broch and visitor centre.
Above all on the NW coast of Lewis.
Lovely beach and camping at Bhaltos or Valtos.
A hotel you can stay in the car park on the B8060 alongside Loch Eirasirt.
Staying in the car park of the distillery in Tarbet (no whisky for sale yet though)
Hotel Hebrides in Tarbet open on Sunday for bar and meals.
Golden Eagle spotting near Miabhag.
The best wild camping to be found on the road towards Losgaintir off the A859. £5 donation via PayPal.
The best restaurant we found was the Anchorage at Leverburgh. You can also wildcamp at the ferry terminal just outside.
Highlight of the week was our trip to St Kilda with seaharris.com worth every penny.
We carried on through the North and South Uist and Barra. Favourite island is a toss up between Barra and Harris.
We are now in Ireland but the trip ends on Monday after 2 months away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just to say have brill time you two.

Sandra a quick private message to Dingray may be worthwhile re places to go and stay .. he lives in the wilds. Lovely man x

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
For those with no experience of rural highland roads the following video shows the road to Waternish and to SkyeSkyns. Apart from the odd foreign tourist (who clearly don't recognise the ethos of 'passing-places') the journey's out and about are relatively straight forward even for big 8.5m tag axle vans like ours!

SkyeSkyns and The Road to Waternish, Isle of Skye (Best viewed at 1080p and with sound on!)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just done it now in reverse on the way home ,now at gairloch been away a month and it has been humbling and amazing regards steve

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have a brilliant time, if you go to Skye and call in at Skyeskins tell them you are with motorhome fun and you will get a 10% discount, Laura is the lady who knows about it.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you get to Barra: Take the little boat out to the castle, it's not big but it's fun; follow with a meal at Cafe Kisimul. Have your evening meal out on the terrace at the Barra Hotel & watch the sunset. Grab sandwiches at The Deck and take them across the causeway to Vatersay. Watch the only scheduled aircraft in the UK where the schedule depends on the tide & eat cake at the airport. Take the bus round the island. Above all - take in the glories of the machair.

Have a wonderful time :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Crikey, I wish I new that last week when I let the moths out of my wallet :(

That's a shame I did put a thread on about it, the other thing was to tell them if they are for motorhome seats as they will try and find you the best size. Another thing worth noting about Waternish is the head Chef from the Chimineys has opened a resturant on the sea front a lot cheaper than the Chimineys but I am told the food is amazing.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We had a great time on Skye toured all over but Skyeskins was a disappointment. , and we did mention motorhome fun, a 5 min tour , nothing working and skins upstairs mainly imported. Just a few small skyeskin marked sheepskins. They did say they also bought skins from a larger tannery in Devon which was on the TV countrywide programme.

If you take a dog, treat it with some tick repellent -£1 from poundland or £7 from the vet , lots of ticks on Skye.
Lots of places to wild camp-large off road laybys . Cheapest diesel just on Skye a few miles up to Portree and they also sell lpg but not displayed

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just to say have brill time you two.
Will be us 3 when Andy gets sorted at vanbitz 2mor then catches up with us.(y) . He only left Scotland yesterday...long drive both ways.
Anyone else can feel free to catch us up and tag along.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh forgot about the ticks
Saw post just in time.THX A quick run back into morrisons. Finally on the move now. Tonights stop will be Glencoe. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a great time Sandra + entourage;).......
Can't wait for pics + details, would love to do this
:love:
Just a tiny bit jealous......safe travels x

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Don't forget to visit Clachtoll and Achilitibuie - the view of the Summer Isles is not to be missed and well worth the drive! We have just come after three weeks and had brilliant weather. Went the same time last year and it rained nearly every day

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Don't forget to visit Clachtoll and Achilitibuie - the view of the Summer Isles is not to be missed and well worth the drive! We have just come after three weeks and had brilliant weather. Went the same time last year and it rained nearly every day
Ssshhhh - my most favourite secret spot!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Have a brilliant time, if you go to Skye and call in at Skyeskins tell them you are with motorhome fun and you will get a 10% discount, Laura is the lady who knows about it.
I wish I'd known that a few weeks ago. We bought ourselves a lovely sheepskin rug.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thx David. Now parked up at the green welly instead. Miggt as well enjoy the sunshine while its here.:)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Oh forgot about the ticks
Saw post just in time.THX A quick run back into morrisons. Finally on the move now. Tonights stop will be Glencoe. :)
Stay well back from JSs house, you might get your windaes panned in.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Ssshhhh - my most favourite secret spot!
Oops sorry :) WE have three favourite places and the third one (though probably not the third choice) is Arisaig - sadly these places are 600-700 miles from home and we only make it up there once a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back