Off to the Peak District 1st week of November...

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by TeeCee, Sep 23, 2015.

1. TeeCee

TeeCee Funster

Staying at Chatsworth CC site and would appreciate help/advice re best places to visit and/or cosy pub/restaurants, etc. And am I ok to drive my 25' motorhome around the Peak District or should I think about alternative transport means. Thanks in advance.

2. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

if you want to go to Bakewell park in the Farmer Auction Mart , drive over the bridge towards the main buildings and park on left for £1 over night 5 min walk into town .,

Walk or cycle the Monsal trail just up the hill on the other side of the auction mart

3. TeeCee

TeeCee Funster

Cheers Suggy......In your profile pic..is that a beach where your van is parked?..If so..where? TeeCee

4. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

I too am off to the Peak District for a few days but know very little about the area

Can anyone provide me details of some motorhome friendly places to visit (villages, castles/stately homes, scenic walks, locations of natural beauty etc)

Also we like to wild camp/park so any locations off the beaten track or alternatively any country pubs where we can eat and overnight would be great

5. Wildge

Wildge Funster

Qjuite a few britstops in the area, lovely pubs and restaurants in Castleton. Nice Italian in Baslow walkable from C/C site ,but at that time of year would visit at lunchtime....dark nights etc.plus lots more eateries.If you like walking Chatsworth park is the place to be, not sure when the Xmas festivities start but the house is beautifully decorated with a theme...think it's Wind in the Willows this year. The Farm shop is worth a visit and cafe does excellent meals.
    As well as Chatsworth we have Haddon Hall on the A6 and Hardwick Hall just off the A6175.Don't forget the plague village of Eyam and Robin Hoods mate Little John who is buried in Hathersage Churchyard allegedly. Anything else just pm me.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Chatsworth Christmas market is
    12/29 November.
    We are booked on the CC site for the 1st weekend:)

7. Wildge

Wildge Funster

http://www.chatsworth.org/attractions-and-events/christmas-at-chatsworth
    Still plenty happening...The actual season starts 7th and finishes 3rd January. They start decorating the house and preparing all the wreaths etc from beginning of November. It really is all very interesting, but Chatsworth........ so comes at a cost :D

8. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Hartington village. Car park on village edge but parking on street probably more suitable and likely to be available this time of year.
    Try Ilam in Dovedale, NT house and estate nice, NT car park has grass verges but some are steep and also low hanging trees but with care you can park there also.
    Good advice on bakewell above and well worth visiting.
    Peak district was our second trip out in our m/h and we had no difficulties driving and parking.

9. Jasz

Jasz Funster

We have just spent 5 nights at Chatsworth. I can also recommend the Italian restaurant ( went there twice). The farm shop is also very good ( may be a problem parking a big motorhome there) someone else walked there, we cycled (uphill going, quick decent coming back). It is also on the bus route to Bakewell if you don't want to drive there, with a service every hour during the day.