Off to Germany to collect our van! (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thing is there are lHD dealers of cars /vans in the midlands that sell nothing else but lhd & have done so for 40+ years . & at a premium to rhd. I use to deal with them years ago when the only advertising was Exchange & mart
If you are referring to Edgehill Motors, they have now closed because of long term family illness. Sold all their stock to a local dealer who has/is selling it for a lot more it seems.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
At Dusseldorf a UK Carthago dealer offered me a price to change £45k, this was for a Carthago that was a few grand cheaper than the Hymer we ordered. The Hymer by the time we have imported and paid the VAT will cost us £20k to change. UK dealers are just too greedy. Again the rip off trade in prices come into play they were offering £40k for my van compared to my Belgium Hymer dealers trade in offer of £52k.
Ouch! When do you get it Lenny? We are still looking at LHD Carthago still favorite with the boss... SWMBO...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
View attachment 141966 made it home safely yesterday! :) just parked the van in the driveway. thought I'd wait until daylight to try it for the first time... it appears a squeeze... our Driveway is only 2.4m wide... that is why we needed a PVC! @lorger from Dumfries has a Campscout Revolution

Realise this is a relatively old post but assume the information will still be current for a new import?

Can you confirm for me how the German plates work as you appear to have driven the van both through Germany and back to the UK. All other posts I've read seem to indicate having the dealer drive/deliver the vehicle to the port and then have it made ready/adapted to UK regs once it arrived at the port, then delivering the vehicle to home on trade plates to allow UK registration.

Did you do things differently?

How did insurance work on German plates?

I thought I read elsewhere that UK licence couldn't drive a non UK plate in the UK?

Any help guidance appreciated as the savings look very significant even allowing for a poor exchange rate?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you buy in German you have to buy export plates and 3rd party insurance.
A UK resident can't drive a vehicle in the UK that has been registered in another country, if you are on export plates it's not been registered, that how I read it.
We always buy in Belgium and our dealer drives it to the port.
You can get it insured on the vin number once on UK soil that allows you to drive it home and to a test center.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As @Lenny HB says the export plates are just that and like him I considered it not registered in Germany. When I completed the application to the DVLA I stated in my covering letter that it had not been registered and only had Export plates, no issue was raised. As an existing NFU client they offered fully comp on the VIN from the moment I paid the invoice, I telephoned them from the dealer. So I did not need my dealer to drive it to the channel with their trade plates and insurance. But I think there are not many insurers that will be so accommodating. If you make your booking at the garage for your VCA application to co-inside with your arrival back in the UK you are technically driving the vehicle to the reservation and are allowed to do so like an MOT and return home/storage. So all bases covered, legally. Well that's my take, and what I did but it was never tested by being stopped by the police!

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Thanks for all replies and info. All added to the growing data bank, never thought selecting a motorhome would be so involved, intense or expensive!

Biggest shock is the number of models with little or no weight capacity for touring. Strongly suspect that without the info viewed in forum an expensive mistake would have been made at some point.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all replies and info. All added to the growing data bank, never thought selecting a motorhome would be so involved, intense or expensive!

Biggest shock is the number of models with little or no weight capacity for touring. Strongly suspect that without the info viewed in forum an expensive mistake would have been made at some point.
Well worth the £15 membership fees !!
Apart from the help , advice , banter and friendship! Look forward to seeing your MH when you get it(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back