Off to France for a month.... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
After a good look around the village ( highly recommended for anyone else travelling this way) and the weather warming up nicely (24 degrees and blue skies) we left for a beach day on the Med. decided on Seté, mainly because the aire is on the beach and it's free( according to the latest All the Aires book) so we could carry on our challenge to visit only free Aires.
Well, it isn't free, it was €9.90!
But, it was getting late and we decided to stay, despite the clouds coming over and the tempersture dropping. We did get a walk along the beach and the sea wasn't too cold for a paddle.
The sun actually came out this morning just before we left.
We are now in an aire near Orange, next to a wine producer ( Laudun, Cotes du Rhone) so we had to go in and buy a few
Nice aire with picnic tables dotted around, very quiet and very warm.
Not sure where we are going tomorrow, it's a toss up between near St Tropez or further up into the Rhone Alps. Depends on the weather.
Also, we are losing faith in our All the Aires book. Many Aires don't come anywhere near to matching the descriptions given and I have noticed they are getting very subjective in their descriptions. Hells Bells ( aire in or near a church that has bells and, I think, a phrase that may cause offence to many) and Trucking Hell ( road noise from Lorrys ) and various other subjective phrases. We quite like church bells. It is very rare they ring all night.
And many Aires in the south haven't been inspected since 2012 or earlier.( 2010) Many have changed more than their prices.
I just need to know an unbiased view of the aire and nearby facilities and a few decent pictures so I can make my own mind up. Over the last 3 days, we have visited and left 9 Aires that didn't match the descriptions in the book.... Not even close. ( sorry, rant over)
Anyway it's getting dark and this bottle of red is almost empty. Where's the corkscrew?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
edited. Too much wine, I was getting confused!
Decided we would head west again through the midi Pyrenees towards Bordeaux. We have tried to like the south of France, my sister lives near Carcassonne and we have visited a few times and spent time along the coast, but I'm afraid if just doesn't do it for us.
So, the trip through the mountains to Florac was spectacular. Good D roads through the mountains and over a pass ( forget the name) at about 1000 metres to Florac, south of Mende. Nice aire with views of the mountains, nice little village with a couple of lovely boulangeries.
Set off for Rodez in the morning and another pleasant drive through more mountains. Quite impressed with the aire at Rodez, it's in a park with good walks and a nearby river, well away from the town and pretty quiet.
Spent last night in the shadow of Chateau Montfort near Vitrac overlooking a bend in the Dordogne river. Just our luck, the artisan Boulangerie next to the site was closed when we got there and closed when we left this morning
Never mind, set off today to buy a few more bottles of wine. Found Chateau Monbazillac in the rain. Parked in their car park and had lunch then popped in for a tasting and came out with another dozen bottles!
Currently at St Emilion in a vinyard at Chateau Gerbaud. Rains stopped and there is blue sky around. €5 a night or free if you buy some wine.
Now, there's an offer we can't refuse!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back