Off to France again!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
All packed and ready for the off. Tonight at Drum Inn, Ashford then early Tunnel 6.16!!! We have a travelling companion this time, Pierre a member of the BLA but going under cover as a RFB ::bigsmile: IMG_20170328_120546.jpg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Personally I would give the Drum Inn a miss and catch an earlier train,found it an expensive muddy field.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Thanks for that info bigtree but we've already paid :frowny: will just have to sort it out when we get there. Mr Spritely will have a heyday with his "I told you so" cos he thought we should use Canterbury Aire but I wanted to try the Drum thinking it would be closer to tunnel and a nice stopover to start the hols, especially after the 'horrible drive up from IOW.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Thanks for that info bigtree but we've already paid :frowny: will just have to sort it out when we get there. Mr Spritely will have a heyday with his "I told you so" cos he thought we should use Canterbury Aire but I wanted to try the Drum thinking it would be closer to tunnel and a nice stopover to start the hols, especially after the 'horrible drive up from IOW.
We are going to the tunnel from Fareham in 2 weeks. Which route are you using to go via Canterbury P&R as I thought it was a straight road to the Tunnel. :confused: We will be looking to overnight beforehand, so can you report back on the latest for the Drum please.:D2

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The prices for a drink were ridiculous as well and to add insult to injury the barmaid told us Scottish currency wasn't legal tender. :mad: This was the last time we stopped this side,we now cross and park at the aire at Cite Europe.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We are going to the tunnel from Fareham in 2 weeks. Which route are you using to go via Canterbury P&R as I thought it was a straight road to the Tunnel. :confused: We will be looking to overnight beforehand, so can you report back on the latest for the Drum please.:D2
Not going via Canterbury Aire. Stopped there last time and it's easy to get to Tunnel from there. Just wanted to avoid going up to Canterbury and then back down to Tunnel this time and Ashford is on the way and 20 mins from Tunnel allegedly!! We're going to go Petersfield, Guildford way to avoid motorway as much as possible. Probably sounds daft way to go for us from IOW but used to go M3 every day when working and know the drawbacks. Will report back on the Drum!! Fingers crossed it's ok

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've stayed on Canterbury P and R a couple of times. When late one time, the old bill suggested a lay bye on The Dover Road.
However, usually we set off early morning and spend the day in Kent visiting one of the quaint (villages) towns and do our bit to add to the economy of the area. Then we get away asap over to Calais and Cite Europe.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
The prices for a drink were ridiculous as well and to add insult to injury the barmaid told us Scottish currency wasn't legal tender. :mad: This was the last time we stopped this side,we now cross and park at the aire at Cite Europe.
We do exactly the same 5hr drive, arrive at tunnel, 35 mins later in France, 10 mins later parked up Cite Europe, couple of drinks...sleep...happy days..(y)(y)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
The barmaid was right about the Scottish currency(y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for getting over and stopping on the other side - we used to stop at a Brit stop near the tunnel, but the food was not that good and really expensive, as were the drinks, so we now bite the bullet, do the 5 hours to the tunnel, get over and start the holiday on t'other side! Too late for you this year, @2sprightelyislanders so have a lovely time at the Drum, and Bon Voyage! (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On Thursday we will be spending the night at Canterbury P&R before crossing via the Tunnel on Friday morning.

For our second trip, in July, we are crossing late evening and spending the night on "the other side".

Next year we will know which we prefer!:)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Sue & Pete,
We hope you have a good night at the Drum , Enjoy tomorrow & the rest of your trip.
Safe travelling ,keeps us informed of your trip & any nice aires.
Where are you sort of headed ?
Ann & Terry

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I have used the drum inn a few time, it is expensive but very convenient. Makes it easy for us as we go down after work and catch the early train the next day. I do plan to catch later trains this year though by the time we have had drinks and paid for camping its an extra 30-40 quid, much cheaper to get a later train and stop at cite Europe or Gravelines or somewhere near the tunnel over night.

I would use the drum inn again though as it is a nice stop even if it is a little pricey.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We stayed overnight at the Black Bull in Folkestone last week. Perfectly OK for a night. The food was not spectacular but certainly good enough with wine (bottle) about £30.

11 minutes to the tunnel.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Hi Sue & Pete,
We hope you have a good night at the Drum , Enjoy tomorrow & the rest of your trip.
Safe travelling ,keeps us informed of your trip & any nice aires.
Where are you sort of headed ?
Ann & Terry
Thanks :smiley: Sorta, kinda heading to Menin Gate first then back into France and head southish, kinda, sorta ::bigsmile: will keep you posted :smiley:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks :smiley: Sorta, kinda heading to Menin Gate first then back into France and head southish, kinda, sorta ::bigsmile: will keep you posted :smiley:
That sounds a good start we are hoping to do the same as we like Ypres town . The campsite is so handy. Enjoy!

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Well we're at the Drum Inn :smiley: drive up not too bad and we're parked on gravel with a nice view of the fields behind the pub:smiley: Shower and toilets are very clean. Shower coin operated (not sure about second shower as there is no water in it ::bigsmile: could be that I'm just too tired to think straight but I couldn't see how you get wet ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:). Won't be using pub as having an early booze free night but looks OK, although a bit pricey for the likes of us.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have a nice trip we are at Cite Europe catching early train in the morning back to Blighty we,ll pass like ships in the night.
Weather is warm but a little breezy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back