Off the grid camper: what set up is everyone using?! (1 Viewer)

Jimmymac

Free Member
Feb 3, 2017
Bury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hey guys,

Myself, my partner, and our 2 year old are currently looking for a Luton van to convert for a trip around Europe with no specified end date. We want the van to be completely off grid and to install all the necessities: shower, heating, fridge, TV (more as a second screen for my work), toilet, cooler etc. This is our first van and I am looking to build it myself. I had worked as a carpenter up until a few years back and have domestic electricians and plumbers in the family who can help out.

Having been researching, I am coming up against hundreds of questions as you can imagine! There are only a few options to choose from....

I just wondered what set up people are using for their off the grid campers? Gas boilers (sealed), what pumps, gas or electric heaters or log burners, electric shower against hot water from the boiler, solar, composting toilet against chemical?!?

Also, how transferable are home electrics and plumbing to installing a camper system?

All comments appreciated and any advice for a newbie campervan converter welcome!

Many Thanks,

James

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It partly depends on your budget and where you want to go.

You may find that you can get a motorhome that suits most of your needs for less than doing your own conversion.

Three people living and working in a vehicle might require more space than a conversion allows, particularly if you are living or staying in places where it wouldn't be so easy to spend most of the day outside.

I would look at left hand drive motorhomes for comparisons and visit festivals to see some of the ranges of converted vehicles that people live in.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hey guys,

Myself, my partner, and our 2 year old are currently looking for a Luton van to convert for a trip around Europe with no specified end date. We want the van to be completely off grid and to install all the necessities: shower, heating, fridge, TV (more as a second screen for my work), toilet, cooler etc. This is our first van and I am looking to build it myself. I had worked as a carpenter up until a few years back and have domestic electricians and plumbers in the family who can help out.

Having been researching, I am coming up against hundreds of questions as you can imagine! There are only a few options to choose from....

I just wondered what set up people are using for their off the grid campers? Gas boilers (sealed), what pumps, gas or electric heaters or log burners, electric shower against hot water from the boiler, solar, composting toilet against chemical?!?

Also, how transferable are home electrics and plumbing to installing a camper system?

All comments appreciated and any advice for a newbie campervan converter welcome!

Many Thanks,

James
Thought about this many times, but never started, for a first van , do you think an older motorhome would be a start, that has all the basics already done but then change it around to suit your tastes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
problem with lutons is no connection between the cab and living space which means you cant use the cab space as part of the living area so a six metre vehicle only gives 3 m of space
for of grid you need solar and gas with a reasonable sized battery bank possible using deisel for heating
theres a lot of info available on the sister site to this http://www.diymotorhome.co.uk/

OP
OP
J

Jimmymac

Free Member
Feb 3, 2017
Bury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Budget is £5k - £10k but preferably somewhere in the middle. I will defo check out the left hand drive campers, already had a look and there are some decent size vans at reasonable prices. I had looked at older motorhomes but never quite found anything that I didn't think I could make something more suitable for our budget. I'm thinking an ELWB Luton would provide us more space than I can afford in an equivelant motorhome? The box is around 4.4m plus over the cab. Also, I figure I can get a more reliable newer vehicle (in theory) if I buy a van for much less than an equivelant motorhome. Then with the cost of the conversion surely I would get a better vehicle for the money and a vehicle tailored to our specific requirements? Plus with this likely being a long trip, I want to know exactly how everything works so that if anything breaks I stand a chance of fixing it. And call it a bit of a dream..... I think I want to convert a van and just bum around Europe :D Who wouldn't?!?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
From an energy point of view the best bet is to use gas for all heating and cooking and probably fridge as well. Modern gas heaters (blown air or radiator type) are very good and will heat water as well as the van. Best to fit a refillable tank (or a pair of refillable cylinders) and then use Autogas, which is available in the Uk and Europe.

Electricity is going to depend on where you are staying in the winter. You can survive on solar as long as you get enough sun, which you won't in the UK or Northern Europe. If you want to stay north then you will need to find somewhere to plug in or use a generator (you will not be popular with your neighbours) or splash the cash on Efoy of Hydrogen type generator.

Almost everything you want to use will run on 12V - lighting (LED), heating fan/pump, TV, computer, phone, shaver etc, unless you want to use a microwave or a coffee pod machine. The only thing we use in the van that needs 240V is my wife's hairdryer, and we run that off of the batteries via an inverter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the fun house!

Where do I start! As you have little knowledge of the 'gubbings' etc of a MH do a lot of reading and visiting as many dealers as you can to see and ask questions of the people (don't tell them you're wanting to do your own though!).

I think you'll be a bit shocked at the cost of equipment for a MH, its a good bit more compared to similar things for a house, eg a basic MH fridge/freezer can cost 3-4 times what a standard domestic one will, same with hobs, sinks etc. You could consider getting hold of a caravan which has good bits in to transfer across to your conversion - caravans with damp are usually good donors as they aren't worth the costs of repair but the bits are still usable, this would also give you some of the other stuff you need such as charger, sockets, light fittings, pipework ... it all adds up.

As for a 'domestic' electrician/plumber helping out, that's not an issue so long as they use the right materials and installation methods as they're not the same as in a house etc.

OP
OP
J

Jimmymac

Free Member
Feb 3, 2017
Bury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
From an energy point of view the best bet is to use gas for all heating and cooking and probably fridge as well. Modern gas heaters (blown air or radiator type) are very good and will heat water as well as the van. Best to fit a refillable tank (or a pair of refillable cylinders) and then use Autogas, which is available in the Uk and Europe.

Electricity is going to depend on where you are staying in the winter. You can survive on solar as long as you get enough sun, which you won't in the UK or Northern Europe. If you want to stay north then you will need to find somewhere to plug in or use a generator (you will not be popular with your neighbours) or splash the cash on Efoy of Hydrogen type generator.

Almost everything you want to use will run on 12V - lighting (LED), heating fan/pump, TV, computer, phone, shaver etc, unless you want to use a microwave or a coffee pod machine. The only thing we use in the van that needs 240V is my wife's hairdryer, and we run that off of the batteries via an inverter.

Awesome! Thanks! Gives me more avenues to research and a glimmer of hope.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
While gas can be found most everywhere I think If I were building an off grid vehicle today I'd consider going without it and look to do it all diesel - solar only.

I'd rely on the solar and a good size battery bank for lighting, charging, But go diesel for heating, cooking and hot water. Not messing about with gas would be a bonus, the only thing that might sway me to add a gas tank is refrigeration, but then if I was in sunny climes a compression fridge would do nicely.

Gas is expensive, refillable places becoming scarce, bottles and adapters a pain . Diesel is easy and and everywhere

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
@Jimmymac you may find this blog useful.
www.beyondthevan.com
When you are away will your friends be saying:-
"Hey Jimmy, Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back."
(I know, if I had a penny and all that but couldn't resist)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
There is a book on Amazon that we bought to understand the workings of a motorhome. It's all about two brothers who bought an LDV van and converted it to a motorhome for less than £1,000. They bought a scrap caravan, cannibalised it for windows, interior fittings etc and then sold the chassis to someone wanting a trailer. Lots of useful information in it.

It's called "Build Your Own Dream Camper Van for less than £1000 - That's including the cost of the van!" by Matthew & Stuart Ball.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'd rely on the solar and a good size battery bank for lighting, charging, But go diesel for heating, cooking and hot water. Not messing about with gas would be a bonus, the only thing that might sway me to add a gas tank is refrigeration, but then if I was in sunny climes a compression fridge would do nicely.
@Jim Didn't know you could get a diesel hob. Would it smell a bit maybe? :D2

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@Jim Didn't know you could get a diesel hob. Would it smell a bit maybe? :D2

613ec461c17ad5a3f476a00dc839fc02.jpg

https://www.elyboatchandlers.com/wa...ing/wallas-87d-diesel-oven-hob?source=Froogle

OP
OP
J

Jimmymac

Free Member
Feb 3, 2017
Bury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
tjsmks for all the info. Definitely adds fuel to the research! Jimmy Mack will be back....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
While gas can be found most everywhere I think If I were building an off grid vehicle today I'd consider going without it and look to do it all diesel - solar only.

Gas is expensive, refillable places becoming scarce, bottles and adapters a pain . Diesel is easy and and everywhere
That's the way I was going when I spec'ed my bespoke T5 conversion. For other reasons we didn't go ahead & we bought our Campscout instead, but I would still go down that route again, especially if converting a small camper where space is also an important consideration.

It's not a cheap option though - you aren't going to pick up a diesel hob second hand unless really really lucky & even s'hand diesel heaters in good nick aren't going to be that common. So that probably rules it out for the OP trying to do it on a budget. Those diesel hobs are eye-wateringly expensive - aimed at the rich boaters! :D2

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's the way I was going when I spec'ed my bespoke T5 conversion. For other reasons we didn't go ahead & we bought our Campscout instead, but I would still go down that route again, especially if converting a small camper where space is also an important consideration.

It's not a cheap option though - you aren't going to pick up a diesel hob second hand unless really really lucky & even s'hand diesel heaters in good nick aren't going to be that common. So that probably rules it out for the OP trying to do it on a budget. Those diesel hobs are eye-wateringly expensive - aimed at the rich boaters! :D2

Did you look at the hob and heater I posted above? Perfect in a small van, no gas locker so extra space and not that expensive.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I thought that all boaters were rich when they bought their boats. It is only the lucky owners that stay rich.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Did you look at the hob and heater I posted above? Perfect in a small van, no gas locker so extra space in small vans; and not that expensive.
No, must admit I didn't Jim. Looked at what was around 4 years ago when I wanted one, but all academic for me now. Will go & have a quick look now get up-to-date.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Don't forget you can put gas , fresh water tank , waste water tank under the van too. That's what ralph did with Pug. When he did our conversion.
That means we've nothing taking up any space under the beds and in the cupboards. We went down the webasto route for heating, and fitted a Compressor fridge. He also put solar panels on the roof and we've a deep cell ( I think they're called ) battery fitted under the fridge. He used victron boat stuff throughout too.
I'm sure if ralph had realised they did diesel cookers he'd have fitted one of those too hahah.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Did you look at the hob and heater I posted above? Perfect in a small van, no gas locker so extra space and not that expensive.
Had a look now. Yep - that's the current version of what I looked at 4 years ago for my T5. They were only advertising to the boat market in those days & although I can't remember the exact price, I think that is a touch cheaper than what was on offer back then. £1500 isn't cheap, but if converting a small camper using new parts, it's the way I'd go. When you add up a new gas cooker, a new gas space heater & a gas locker, it's not so much more expensive. It was a no-brainer in my case, because I was going to use diesel for space heating anyway - mainly to limit gas consumption from the small bottle. That's before you add the advantage of space saving, with is significant in a small camper. Then there is the convenience - most small campers only have room for one small gas bottle - so you are buying very expensive gas & have the problem of having to find more, usually at the most inconvenient moment.

I still think cost would rule it out if you were doing a conversion using readily available second-hand appliances though.

Reactions: Jim
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I live and learn. I apologise for being sceptical. You can get a diesel cooker that doesn't smell - seems to be some sort of sealed unit with no naked flame. They do seem very expensive to buy when compared with a motorhome gas hob. I wonder how they compare with gas when it comes to running costs? I don't know the calorific value of a litre of diesel when compared with a litre of propane or their relative efficiency. I assume they would use road diesel? Otherwise they would need a separate tank. I suppose it may be worthwhile using red if you were running both heating and cooking, but I wonder how many suppliers would allow you to put red diesel into a tank in a motorhome?

But I am not sure how relevant this is to the OP who is looking to buy and convert a Luton van on a total budget of £5k to £10k.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back