Off Peak Campsite Season in Europe Query

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by FrCrilly, Dec 28, 2009.

1. FrCrilly

FrCrilly Read Only Funster

Hi All,

I’m planning to buy a motorhome and would like to research the prospect of reducing campsite costs. I would like, at some point, to visit each of the below countries at a time of year when the weather tends to be reasonably good, campsites costs are at their most off peak price and campsite children numbers are at their minimum (I’m travelling with friends, not family).

So far I have learned that July and August are considered to be peak season for both campsite costs & children numbers and hence I will avoid booking at these times.

Can I now ask experienced well travelled motorhome owners if they have any recommendations for a particular country at a particular time of year taking the above criteria into account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all Responses.

Countries (I’m based in Ireland)

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    France
    Holland
    Belgium
    Luxembourg
    Germany
    Czech Republic (West of)
    Austria (West of)
    Switzerland
    Italy (North of)
    Spain (North of)

2. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Length of stay tends to bring massive savings on commercial sites. For instance the campsite i am staying at in Spain is approx 30 euro/night but if you stay for a month it is 300 euro , for some sites there is a 3or 6 month tariff . Another way to get a reduction is CCI. card where you may get about 10-15% reduction similarly with an ACSI. card . Be selective on the sites you choose eg. French Municipal sites are more than adequate for most and cost anything from 7 euro upwards but rarely more than about 12 based on 2 people. If you need more help ask specific Q. and you will get a wealth of info. on this site Al

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

What people tend to forget is,the longer you go,the cheaper it becomes.
    Living on an island,first of all we have the ferry to pay.
    Then the fuel to get to the sun.
    If you only go abroad in a MH for a few weeks on each trip,it becomes very expensive indead,what we Britts should do if at all possible,is save up the holls and have them all in one go.
    That way the ferry cost and fuel broken down over a longer period of time works out much cheaper.
    If you are only going for a couple of weeks its cheaper to fly,stay in a hotel,and rent a car than it is to take a MH and pay premium campsite fees.
    But thats only my opinion.

4. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Its worth looking into camping cheques, these are purchased before going on holiday approx 14 euro per cheque they come along with map and site book you then know the cost is only going to be 14 euro even on sites charging 28 euro or more per night, also the ASCI card is worth looking into works on the same principal but you pay when you get to the site having both saves quite a bit of money, and both can be used all over Europe. Carol.