Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have just realised that I have had yet another senior moment.

I bought a 300W inverter and it came with two sets of leads. One for use in the cigar lighter socket and one to be connected directly to the battery.

I found that it was incapable of charging my laptop and was on the point of dumping it when I realised that I was using the cigar lighter socket and the fuse and wire were incapable of carrying 300 W. I rewired it directly to the battery and now it works OK.

How can I have been so stupid when there is a wealth of good advice that i have read on this forum?

Another senior moment occurred when I broke off the breather tube to my battery. I looked around and found that the connectors used in car windscreen washers fitted OK. Everything seemed OK.

When I rewired the inverter I found a small mess of blue gunk on the side of the battery and was at first stumped for the reason. Then it occurred to me - the blue elbows pinched from the windscreen washer circuit was not able to withstand the acidic nature of the fumes given off from the battery during charge.

So I am back to the drawing board and will have to source some new parts when I return from France in mid July.

I am at Villard de Lans in the Vercors mountains and the weather is superb. The only downside is the exorbitant prices in the shops and restaurants but we are still having a great time.

Just found an Aire in the village not in the UL book we got from Vicarious books.

We will look into the matter later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back