odd dometic B3200 air conditioner behaviour (1 Viewer)

thelears

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

Whilst away in the South of France we had the air conditioner on max fan/max cooling pretty much constantly. After a period of time (anywhere between 2-4 hours) the unit would 'throttle' itself back to barely an idle and remain there. This would also happen during the night.

I haven't tested yet in this country.

Has anybody else had similar experience ?

Thanks

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The temperature inside the van was down to that required by the thermostat? If it happens again, request that the unit supply a lower temperature, using the remote control.

That will force the unit to start the compressor again.

Other than that it's faulty.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You have set it to auto, on the fan speeds as you get to max, the next step is auto. The unit will throttle back the fan as it gets near to temperature. On the remote you should see a little icon that says auto.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

thelears

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Interesting you say about the remote as I had forgotten that......We have tried to use the remote with no response. The display on it works but there is no response from the air con itself. Where should I be pointing it ??

I've spoken to Dometic who suggested replacing the battery in the remote itself as a first step.

So far we have only been able to control the air con using the dials on the unit itself.

Thanks

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The remote has a "I FEEL" button. That allows the unit to use the thermostat in the remote as opposed to the thermostat in the roof mounted unit.

This means that if you put the remote in a rear bedroom for example, the roof mounted unit will work harder, longer to try to bring the temperature in the bedroom to the temperature selected on the remote control.

Conversely, if the temperature on the remote is "higher" than you would feel comfortable with the unit will appear to be shutting down prematurely

OP
OP
T

thelears

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok, thanks. Will try that.

First step will be to get a responsive remote. Where is the remote receiver on the air con ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We found that our remote seems to have a very narrow beam, so unless we point it directly at the roof unit, the roof unit can't 'hear' it.
We tended to set our fan to about stage 3 non automatic whilst we were away recently, this meant we had a continuous breeze of cool air through the night, but the noise was not so much that it kept us awake.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I repair these units.

They are very fussy about voltage, if it drops too low it can have trouble starting and running the compressor.

As the compressor starts, it draws high current through the start and run windings, then drops down to low current on the run winding. If the voltage is low, the PCB cannot control the unit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back