Obtaining Water from an Aire, Advice please.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by emmitdb, Aug 16, 2014.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

In advance of a proposed trip across the Channel I'd like to ask a question.

In the UK it is usual (but not universal) that a tap on a campsite will have a thread onto which one can screw a female connector ready for the hose which has a Hozelock type connector on the end.
    What is "the norm" in France?

I have just read a report on a french camping car web site where the correspondent made the following comment re an Aire he had visited, (translated from the French)
    "Nice area, very clean. Everything is free even electricity.
    Male / male for water."

What did he/she mean by 'Male / male for water"

I don't want to arrive at an Aire sans water to discover that I need some sort of adaptor found at the ironmonger 10 kms. away.

Any assistance gratefully received.

2. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

we just take a large watering can and if our range of adapters dont work we just top up with the can....

• Like Like x 6
  3. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

We have a large water container and a big orange funnel ( from B&Q I think)

• Like Like x 2
  4. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi SB,

So do we, but I'm thinking of those situations where the borne??? throws out 100Lts for your 2€. What do you do then?

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Take a range of adapters - hozelock, screw thread, rubber with jubilee clip, bare hose. I've yet to see an aire that didn't have any of these.

I do recall one aire (Le Croisic) where the water came out with amazing pressure, and muggins here unclipped the hose before it had finished pumping. A spout of water shot about 20ft horizontally across the service point.

My unwritten rule of aires is fill everything you can fill and empty everything you can empty before departing, regardless of how full/empty they are already. That way you never have problems if you arrive at the next aire and find the bog drain blocked or the water point unusable.

• Like Like x 7
  6. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I purchased a tapered rubber tapered; fits nearly everything. You are able to reverse it for even more options.

Never use attached hoses, I have seen people fill toilet cassettes using the very same hose.

Ebay similar

• Like Like x 6
  7. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

I have an old rubber bicycle inner tube connect the end to the hose, bit of gaffer tape and the other end (inner tube) will fit any size tap, wash the tube well before use

• Like Like x 1
  8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Some aires have drinking ( potable) water and Non potable water very close together and you never know who has used which tap and what for!
    I always take a spray bottle of anti bacterial cleaner and copiously spray any tap I am not sure about.
    I also have a box of different sized adapters. Most are standard sizes, but some, especially in the east of France are oversized. I know, because I left my oversize adapter on the tap at the aire in Mutigny!
    I also noticed an awful habit that many French people seem to have adopted. They keep a cloth in with the toilet cassette. Empty the cassette, wipe the outside of the cassette with the cloth, then wipe their hands on the cloth, before putting it back with the cassette. :eek:
    No hand washing or gloves in sight. Maybe we are just too fussy!

Allan

• Like Like x 5
  9. peter marshall

peter marshall

No your not lovely country but some dirty people on the aires we have seen the same, we only drink bottled water. Pete

10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Same as many we use a watering can.

11. lynnian

lynnian Read Only Funster

We have just returned today and most aires we used had taps with I think a 25mm male thread which is slightly larger than the hozelock adapters we use in uk. You don't need to go to the ironmongers the supermarkets sell a selection in the gardening section (Auchan in Coqueals and Carrefour at City d'europe)that is where I got mine quite cheap. As said make sure you rinse the tap we didn't use antiseptic just water and we didn't die ! and if you are french you have to rinse out your toilet cassette a dozen times each time you empty it, WHY??????
    Ian and Lynn

• Like Like x 1
  12. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

On our recent trip everyone I used had the standard screw on hose fitting

I carry my own hose and never use the one fitted ......but I also don't drink the water from my tank I carry additional bottles for drinking water and use the tank for washing etc

• Like Like x 3
  13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

By male-male, they mean a hozelock-type connector to join two hose ends together. Also, I would take both sizes of tap connector. These three items should cope with most bornes de service on aires - see images Hozelock connector.jpg Std tap connector.png large tap connector.png .

• Like Like x 8
  14. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Sound advice!

• Like Like x 1
  15. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Good advice from Jean luc, we do exactly the same, never had a problem, handy carrying a watering can as well.
    Phil

16. busby

busby Funster

Have seen the same in UK,,,,dirty people everywhere. We buy bottled water for drinking, cooking etc. Tank for showers, washing etc. BUSBY:)

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and where does this super clean water come from ? same source as the tap.

bottle water can be contaminated with bacteria .. and can also have poison from
    traces of antimony, a chemical used in the making of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles, used by most mineral-water sellers.

It is also bad for the environment and totally unnecessary.

Tap water all over Europe is perfectly safe to drink.. in fact it is safer than bottled..

To be absolutely sure, do as advised, wash the tap before use.. .. I always spray with bleach before using..

In more years than I care to remember we have never had a bug from drinking tap water straight from the tank..

If you are really concerned then instal a Nature Pure filter from General Ecology ... you can safely drink canal water that has gone through it..

• Like Like x 4
  18. busby

busby Funster

But bottled water has not come out of a tap that some dirty bugger has had inside his cassette. I have actually seen someone empty there cassette down the grey waste drain on their pitch and then put it up to the water tap to rinse it out... Will play safe, BUSBY:):)

• Like Like x 1
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

Quite right and for us it also gives you extra water capacity, if your tank is suddenly empty in the middle of nowhere, at least you have water to drink even if you have to go unwashed for a day or two.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

I can clearly remember a Dutch lady caravanner on a French site using the motorhome service point to empty her toilet cassette. She ignored the tap next to the toilet emptying point and walked 5 yards to the "drinking water only tap" stuck the hose in the toilet spout and left the tap running until it overflowed. I asked her why she was doing this and her reply was " The other tap could be dirty! For probably the only time ever I was speechless.
    I always use wipes before filling and always remove any hose first.
    Bernie.