Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Have just watched a documentary on iPlayer BBC 3 regarding the medical problems associated with obesity and how it helps to bring on an early death.
The programme showed an autopsy on an American woman in her early sixties who was five foot five tall and seventeen stone in weight.

The pictures relating to the examination of the heart, lungs, kidneys and liver were graphic and not for the faint hearted, but the lessons to be learned about avoiding becoming obese were eye opening.

I would think that watching this kind of programme would seriously encourage anyone to consider their diet to avoid an early demise.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I would think that watching this kind of programme would seriously encourage anyone to consider their diet to avoid an early demise.

maybe.. maybe not..

healthy problems associated with lifestyle choices are well documented... smoking, alcohol abuse, obesity, .. all known causes of an early demise..

but despite the warnings, people still make these choices.

Addictions that can be very hard to give up.. if it were easy the tobacco and alcohol industry would collapse and fast food joints close overnight

sadly many die wishing they had done something while they still had time ..

some just live for the day..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Do you remember the issues in Rotherham when Jamie Oliver went to schools to change the unhealthy food served in schools for healthy options? Many parents complained and even passed fast food through the fences to their children who "wouldn't eat anything else" etc. It is people like that who contribute to the epidemic of obesity and "wont' be told what to do", even if people try in many different ways to advise them on how to live healthily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Eating 'healthy' food makes you FAT !

Saw a very interesting documentary, which exposes how eating a healthy diet can make you put on 6kg in just 2 months.

You can get the DVD on Amazon
That Sugar Film [DVD] Amazon product ASIN B00Y0HN614
Here's a trailer

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have just watched a documentary on iPlayer BBC 3 regarding the medical problems associated with obesity and how it helps to bring on an early death.
The programme showed an autopsy on an American woman in her early sixties who was five foot five tall and seventeen stone in weight.
I read recently that Dawn French who are is 5 feet tall, weighed 19 stone at her heaviest. Thankfully she seems to have lost some now.
As for sugar...it's all those promoted low-fat products that have too much hidden sugar. I say cut out the sugar and then eat normally. Trouble is that means cut out the wine ! Oops do as I say not as I do:D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Saw a very interesting documentary, which exposes how eating a healthy diet can make you put on 6kg in just 2 months.

Here's a trailer

It depends on how you define "healhy". Many foods aimed at the health concious are not low in calories (such as Kellog's Special K) but eating a balanced diet and consuming the calories required for the activity of life that you lead is healthy. The ELMM diet is a great start.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Here's a trailer

Just read this today.. Scary..

http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/20...ntists-skewed-dietary-guidelines-for-decades/

Luckily I don't like sweet stuff at all. No sweets, cakes, biscuits or anything like that in my diet. Going to be looking again at the tinned foods I eat though.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It depends on how you define "healhy". Many foods aimed at the health concious are not low in calories (such as Kellog's Special K) but eating a balanced diet and consuming the calories required for the activity of life that you lead is healthy. The ELMM diet is a great start.
You should watch the film

You will be SHOCKED to learn that calories are not created equally, and that eating low fat and 'healthy' options hide dangerous amounts of fat causing ingredients.

Watch the DVDs and decide for yourself

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
ive fought against food as long as i can remember.
from not being able to pass up the offer
of something to eat ,evan if i had just had a meal .!!!
evan now ive got beneth morbidly obese to
chubby if a packet of biscuits are opened
they need eating ,

ice cream i can eat all day

if its in the fridge and snack type stuff
thats got to be tried in case it goes off

i just cant help myself

doing a bit of diy at daughters flat ( renoveting really) shes left a packet of mc vite digestive nibbles had to try one(3 )
have to leave some incase management gets told , its not as if i enjoy food as i have very few taste buds or sense of smell.

gotta go them nibbles are staing at me again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I read recently that Dawn French who are is 5 feet tall, weighed 19 stone at her heaviest. Thankfully she seems to have lost some now.
As for sugar...it's all those promoted low-fat products that have too much hidden sugar. I say cut out the sugar and then eat normally. Trouble is that means cut out the wine ! Oops do as I say not as I do:D
Wine is OK on a low sugar diet, especially Prosecco and Red Wine.
Beer is ok too
As is my favourite Rum
As the contain little or no Sucrose.
It's the mixers that are the problem

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wine is OK on a low sugar diet, especially Prosecco and Red Wine.
Beer is ok too
As is my favourite Rum
As the contain little or no Sucrose.
It's the mixers that are the problem

Are you sure beer is ok?

I drink too much of the stuff but don't eat much food good or bad and I am fat.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you sure beer is ok?

I drink too much of the stuff but don't eat much food good or bad and I am fat.

Beer is ok cos it's made from Maltose rather than Sucrose.
However you can't ignore the calories.

In avoiding sugar I've made the following changes to my diet.

Swapped Fruit Juice at breakfast for Milk

Swapped 'clusters' type breakfast cereal for Shreaded Wheat or Porridge Oats

Swapped low fat yoghurt for full fat or Greek

Stopped eating chocolate and Ice Cream (Mrs C is going to make some sugar free ice cream for me)

I recently had a liver scan which showed I had 'fatty liver' and nothing was said at the time, but I nearly pooped myself when I saw the DVD

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You should watch the film

You will be SHOCKED to learn that calories are not created equally, and that eating low fat and 'healthy' options hide dangerous amounts of fat causing ingredients.

Watch the DVDs and decide for yourself
I haven't watched the DVD so apologies. However, I did state having a balanced diet but should have mentioned that consuming processed food is a significant contributor to obesity and cooking from scratch avoids many of the chemicals that lead to obesity. However, raw foods can also contain sugars that people overlook; a banana contains 90 calories. I would use that up in less than 9 mins of cycling but it would take 40 mins for that to be used when sitting down.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I haven't watched the DVD so apologies. However, I did state having a balanced diet but should have mentioned that consuming processed food is a significant contributor to obesity and cooking from scratch avoids many of the chemicals that lead to obesity. However, raw foods can also contain sugars that people overlook; a banana contains 90 calories. I would use that up in less than 9 mins of cycling but it would take 40 mins for that to be used when sitting down.
Like I said watch the DVD

The guy in the film ate a 'healthy' diet which contained 40 spoons of sugar a day.

Ps the DVD is not trying to sell anything

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a good friend that offers hypnotherapy to obese clients and she has a good success rate with helping them resist tempation and cutting their calories. However, one of her closest friends won't take up her offer even though her weight is having a significant impact on her health and happiness; I can only presume that the friend has underlying issues that the can't overcome before she is willing to tackle her weight issue.

I have an aquintance who had a gastric bypass and she will come out for a meal and have a small bowl of soup as her meal and wash it down with up to 3 bottles of wine; she doesn't acknowledge that her current weight gain is down to wine :(

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is that only when not on holiday Mr C? I saw those ice creams in your Croatia thread!;)
Only 1 small scoop
Little or no sugar the rest of the day
Still losing weight !!!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
What did the diet consist of? I can't watch the film at the mo.
It's not a diet as such
It's about learning where hidden sugar is and avoiding it
It's a bit controversial as it avoids fruit juice and some other 'healthy' foods.
The interesting point it makes though is that calories from sugar are not equal to calories from fats or other carbs.

Eg. Eat as much raw fruit as you need, because if contains loads of fibre too.
Avoid fruit juice and smoothies as the fibre has been removed, leaving behind the sugar and little else.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
a bout 18 months ago I developed gastritis, and duodenitis, weight fell off and I was very relieved when i got the diagnosis.
Was not eating, or drinking, anything different, just couldn't eat as much initially put it all back on, but am now 'watching what i eat' and am hovering over being about three quarters of a stone lighter, sooner i get away the better, usually lose weight when away, despite the alcohol.
Love sweet things, find it is better to avoid them, except fruit, as i dont find cutting down easy.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It's not a diet as such
It's about learning where hidden sugar is and avoiding it
It's a bit controversial as it avoids fruit juice and some other 'healthy' foods.
The interesting point it makes though is that calories from sugar are not equal to calories from fats or other carbs.

Nothing wrong with avoiding fruit juice; it is high in calories with over 110 calories in a cup of orange juice.

What sugar did it refer to; Fructose? Sucrose? Maltose? etc.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Nothing wrong with avoiding fruit juice; it is high in calories with over 110 calories in a cup of orange juice.

What sugar did it refer to; Fructose? Sucrose? Maltose? etc.

Sucrose is the 'baddie'

It's broken down by the body
50% into glucose - which the body can handle
50% into Fructose which the body can handle in smaller amounts (like in raw fruit). In large amounts the Fructose is turned directly into fat

Until recent times sugar (sucrose) never appeared in our diets so we can't process it easily.

The film shows how the aboriginal population of Australua has been overcome by health problems associated with a high sugar diet, especially fizzy drinks
The film is not just about weight gain, it's also an eye opener to diabetes, dental health, mood swings and even Dementia.

It also talks about the way the sugar industry has controlled governments and the messages given about 'healthy' living.

Fat is not our enemy - sugar is

Last edited by a moderator:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I'm on the Japanese prisoner of war diet..........now then, where do you want this bridge??

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sucrose is the 'baddie'

It's broken down by the body
50% into glucose - which the body can handle
50% into Fructose which the body can handle in smaller amounts (like in raw fruit). In large amounts the Fructose is turned directly into fat

Until recent times sugar (sucrose) never appeared in our diets so we can't process it easily.

The film shows how the aboriginal population of Australua has been overcome by health problems associated with a high sugar diet, especially fizzy drinks
The film is not just about weight gain, it's also an eye opener to diabetes, dental health, mood swings and even Dementia.

It also talks about the way the sugar industry has controlled governments and the messages given about 'healthy' living.

Fat is not our enemy - sugar is

Sorry to disagree here; the enemy is over-eating. Fructose has been consumed by hunter gatherers for millenia. It does not get turned directly to fat unless the quantity consumed is greater than the body needs. http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p=1770

Having high levels of processed sugar is bad. It is made worse by living a sedentary lifestyle. It is not suprising that Aborigines are experiencing health issues with the over-consumption of sugar; sugar is addictive and our bodies have an innate desire to consume high calorific food because it enables the hunter / gatherer in us to survive during lean periods. We don't have lean periods now but desire sugar and don't have to move far to find it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm on the Japanese prisoner of war diet..........now then, where do you want this bridge??
We were very fortunate to visit the Bridge On the River Kwai
We rode across it by train - then stopped to visit the rows and rows of war graves that are found in the nearby cemetery.
Took ages to walk round the rows of gravestones in the tropical heat, but it seemed somehow disrespectful not to acknowledge each an every one.
The graves are kept beautifully- all nice, just how you'd like it to be.

Reactions: BwB
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry to disagree here; the enemy is over-eating. Fructose has been consumed by hunter gatherers for millenia. It does not get turned directly to fat unless the quantity consumed is greater than the body needs. http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p=1770

Having high levels of processed sugar is bad. It is made worse by living a sedentary lifestyle. It is not suprising that Aborigines are experiencing health issues with the over-consumption of sugar; sugar is addictive and our bodies have an innate desire to consume high calorific food because it enables the hunter / gatherer in us to survive during lean periods. We don't have lean periods now but desire sugar and don't have to move far to find it.
I agree about calorie intake

The film showed how swapping a 2500 calorie low sugar diet for a 2500 'healthy' diet lead to fatty liver disease and 6kg weight gain in just 2 months.

Watch the film - then decide

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back