NZ Motorhome Hire (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are tentatively planning atrip down under to visit relatives in Australia and feel it be remiss not to take the opportunity to do a bit of touring in New Zealand. Anyone got any experience of hiring in NZ, companies to avoid or any recommendations on "must see" locations etc. All suggestions welcome.

Rgds
Bill

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi,
we went to NZ last November and did a coach tour with APT - New Zealand Wanderer (first class in every respect - one of the best value for money trips we had. only one real rip off, the albatross centre - you can see most of the albatross flights from the path nearby for free). We now intend to go back and hire a motorhome. The coach tour took us to most of the main sites and the tour manager and driver to tell you all about everything. We now want to go again and spend a bit longer in the countryside in some of the areas, to spend a bit longer at places like the main museum in Wellington, and to spend a bit longer with our friends.
I have been doing some research including taking our own MH out there for up to 6 months. We were looking really at about 8 weeks, but its too costly to take your own out for that short a time, you have to hire. I can't put my finger on the reviews now, but one company had a terrible write up for the collection condition of motorhomes and its customer service. Others apparently wanted the full cost up front even before you collected. I have had to re-build my laptop after a disaster so lost all my links. if i find them again and no one else has added to this i will copy them in later.
Sorry, we did not go to Australia.

Link Removed

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Send me a PM, I can , after living there for most of my life, advise you of the traps to avoid and the places most Tourists miss, However am out of the loop as regards M/H Hire Companys

Rangi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We've been to NZ to see our cousins several times and done tours with them using motels and cars but the first time my daughter was working in Timaru hospital. We went out to see her and hired a motor home and toured the South Island.
We hired it from near the airport but that was 2000 and Firms will have changed since then.

We hired a four berth coachbuilt fromhttp:////www.maui.co.nz/new-zealand-branch-locations and picked it up from Christchurch airport ( now open after earthquake).

First stop to get rid of jet lag is an afternoom at the thermal pools at Hamner Springs. Fabulous! Try the hokey pokey icecream.

We then went to Mount Cook via Lake Pukaki- fabulous lakeside, basic campsite ( loo and tap only) but we were on edge of Lake and it was magical.

Down to Queens town- touristy and busy Dutch campsite walk into town
Watersports,nice botanic gardens, ride the chairlift and have a meal on the Skyline restaurant; a trip on the Steamboat Ernslaw to the end of the lake to a homestead and sheep shearing.

Glenorchy is remote and peaceful and Glenorchy fur has products made from possum roadkill ( a major national pest introduced from Australia).

Onto Omaru where lots on NZ films are shot because of the hustoric buildings. Go out at night to see the blue penguins swim home.magic!

Down to Dunedin - university town and a ride on the Taheri Gorge railway- takes you to places where there are no roads.

Then to Ivercargill to see the furthest point on the mainland and a trip to Stewart Island
Then over to the west coast to Te Anau to do the Fjiords trip. Take Vitamin b6 for the horrible sandflies.
Milford sound is beautiful but Doubtful sound includes a boat trip across the Lake, coach trip thu a hydro electric station and a sail out to sea to see the albatrosses.

Along the coast to the Glaciers. Fox and Franz Joseph. Touristy and they are shrinking away.
Onto Punikiki pancake rocks intriguing rock formations.
Then Hokatika and travel to - walking in theAbel Tasman National park.
Then onto wine tasting in the Malborough region.
Followed by whale watching at Kaikoura- choose a calm day!

Down to Christchurch- lovely town but hit by earthquake- and round to Akaroa to go swimming with the dolphins and shopping in this unique french part of NZ.

Sorry this post is so long but I LOVE NZ and thought this might help someone.
Ohhhhhhh I forgot my favourite place, jet boating at Wanaka, but please don't tell anyone else!:thumb:
Lucille

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
First stop to get rid of jet lag is an afternoom at the thermal pools at Hamner Springs. Fabulous! - need to add this to our list

Try the hokey pokey icecream. - a must must must, get it wherever you can, its brilliant.

We then went to Mount Cook via Lake Pukaki- fabulous lakeside, basic campsite ( loo and tap only) but we were on edge of Lake and it was magical. - agreed

Down to Queens town- touristy and busy Dutch campsite walk into town
Watersports,nice botanic gardens, ride the chairlift and have a meal on the Skyline restaurant; a trip on the Steamboat Ernslaw to the end of the lake to a homestead and sheep shearing. - yes, a must

Onto Omaru where lots on NZ films are shot because of the hustoric buildings. Go out at night to see the blue penguins swim home.magic! - one to add to our list.

Down to Dunedin - university town and a ride on the Taheri Gorge railway- takes you to places where there are no roads. - another to add, the railway journey, and speights brewery which we missed. speights have some brilliant adverts.

Then to Ivercargill to see the furthest point on the mainland and a trip to Stewart Island - seems our coach tour missed a bit, which is why we want to go back
Then over to the west coast to Te Anau to do the Fjiords trip. Take Vitamin b6 for the horrible sandflies.
Milford sound is beautiful but Doubtful sound includes a boat trip across the Lake, coach trip thu a hydro electric station and a sail out to sea to see the albatrosses.

Along the coast to the Glaciers. Fox and Franz Joseph. Touristy and they are shrinking away.-they grew last year for first time in a while so our guide told us. they have just had some exceptionally bad weather and heavy snows, so perhaps they will ot shrink this year either
Onto Punikiki pancake rocks intriguing rock formations.
Then Hokatika and travel to - walking in theAbel Tasman National park.
Then onto wine tasting in the Malborough region.
Followed by whale watching at Kaikoura- choose a calm day!

Down to Christchurch- lovely town but hit by earthquake- and round to Akaroa to go swimming with the dolphins and shopping in this unique french part of NZ. CHCH, probably the nicest of the big cities, its not much bigger than many of our towns.

Sorry this post is so long but I LOVE NZ and thought this might help someone. - us too Lucille, if i was young enough and had the skills they need i would be out there like a shot.
Ohhhhhhh I forgot my favourite place, jet boating at Wanaka, but please don't tell anyone else!:thumb:
Lucille
[/QUOTE]
My north island favourite place was Russell, brilliant fish and chips in a little bar there.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry I'm a bit late with this, but ! tried to PM you and tried to post both three times .each time it disappeared into Cyberspace! Hav'nt a clue why, I thought it my be our server, OK, For scenery, South Island, theres a wow around every corner! And the North of the North Island , base yourself in Keri Keri. avoid Whakarewarewa it's a tourist trap, if you want to see boiling mud, Gysers etc take the Whakatane road to Hells Gate,not so touristy trappy. Museums in Wellington Auckland and Waiouru are worthwhile (WH if pronounced FF) If you feel like a challange take the road from Waiouru to Napier, the locals call it "Gentle Annie2
Avoid NZ during the Rugby world cup, the prices asked are ridiculous!
Don't even think about taking food into NZ, even if it's given to you on the plane! that cute little Beagle sitting by your luggage has just dobbed you in for a $200NZ fine!, apart from that enjoy your stay.

Standard greetings; Kiaora cuz! Giday yu b*****d, and Te Nga Kwai

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
why not post for the benefit of all ?

Nz best kept secret, or else you'll all go there! well thats partly true!
but! thought I'd give 'em an in depth profile, didn't want to clog up the pages, HOWEVER! each time I posted the damned thing disappeared into Cyber space! Havn't a clue why! and I'd spent at least a half hour one finger typeing! Only to see it go AWOL! AAAGGGHHH1

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi these are some hire companies that my brother gave me as he went last Xmas and hired a motorhome. The company they used was www.britz.co.nz, he said they are not the best as there vans were older, www.maui.co.nz ( same company as britz but newer vans ), and Link Removed

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk

Norfolk November meet 5th-7th Nov

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
NZspeak

Thought I'd wander you thro some NZspeak so that you will not be baffled!

After yu hev pecked yur beg and gone tu Sudnee Earpor' yu take uff tu cross the Dutch (Tasman Sea) yu urruv un Nell Zell ' n and fund that a McKinnock is stull working on yur car. yu go to a Rusturunt to get some kai
and order Fitter cheney and ever cardeau salid the gurl with fear hear brings ut tu the table but your misses is in the dunni fuxing 'er mess kara, the fush is off the menu. Yu fund yu huv bin bun button so yu spray pissed aside tu kull the ensect

Enough! Enough!

The A either becomes a double A as in Gidaay, or a O as in Poll Moll the street leading to Buck House the E becomes an I as in tin cints (ten cents)
the I becomes a U as in I wool (I will)

SO! If a Kiwi asks you to come and see his dick< don't run a mile! go and see his decking!

Hope this helps you travelling in the land of the long vowel!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi these are some hire companies that my brother gave me as he went last Xmas and hired a motorhome. The company they used was www.britz.co.nz, he said they are not the best as there vans were older, www.maui.co.nz ( same company as britz but newer vans ), and Link Removed

Dale
Quote]

We went to South Australia a couple of years ago. Just Ralph and I . We hired a little MH from Britz AU , the Trailblazer for a month .
We used it to tour the Suburbs around Adelaide , as we were going through the immigration / visa process. It was nippy and easy to park anywhere. Suited the purpose. The first one we got , we took back , as it was very grubby and smelled awful. We had picked it up jet lagged , and it wasn't until the next day when we woke up , in the sunshine that we noticed.
But they swapped it for us . These were the cheapest company , but you get what you pay for , and we were on a budget. It was still quite expensive though.
We went in the end of September. You definitely needed a good heater at night , at that time of year. Never mind the air con...
It wasn't a winterized MH and was blooming freezing at night . You could see your breath , Proper cold nose , tight scalp job Brrrr :whatthe::Eeek:,
Bev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back