NYCC are readvertising their ban on overnight Motorhome Parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John & Joan, Feb 7, 2015.

1. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Proposed Prohibition of Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans (Re-advertisement) - Various Roads in Scarborough/Cayton/Filey/Sandsend/Whitby

Copies of the relevant documents can be viewed on the County Council’s website (Resident - North Yorkshire County Council) under “Transport and Streets - Parking” and “Consultations”.

Please note that any objections or representations should be sent in writing to “Area 3 Whitby Highways Office, Whitby Highways Depot, Discovery Way, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO22 4PZ” or by e-mail to area3.whitby@northyorks.gov.uk and be received by 6 March 2015.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Tough one that. Likely the residents have been tearing their hair out about the odd dickhead in a massive job draining grey and emptying his waste into a bin and demanding the council do something about it. Easiest option for the council is to Ban overnight parking for MH as proposed. Their own document acknowledged they could tackle this nuisance without a TRO but TRO is the easy way out that costs not a lot and means they can claim to have resolved the issue.

It would take a fairly detailed on site study to gather enough evidence to stop this happening.

4. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Just had a quick look at the 'Statement of reasons' which are not unreasonable from a residents point of view. However, it also states that 'There are many other locations in Scarborough Borough where motor caravans may continue to park unrestricted on the publicly maintainable highway.' Does anyone have a list of these locations? Are they of any practical use for the purpose of visiting the area?

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Any street you want by displaying either a parking disc (available from most town shops), a parking ticket from a street side machine or nothing at all....depending just where you park.

There are no length restrictions on any on street parking as the parking bays are continuous.....not individual bays....and all inner town parking is pay n display.
    car parks, you must fit in individual bays and all are pay n display.
    outer town streets are in general residential but there are no restrictions.

Overnight Free parking (as in wildcamping)......no chance....you just take pot luck.

If you park in a council carpark there is no charge between 5pm and 8am (or 9am, not sure) but the machine will still dispense a ticket between these hours.
    the ticket will start at 8am/9am the next day......another council con if you dont know.
    parking enforcement officers appear to work 24hrs a day.

I dont free park in scarborough....i live in the sh!thole.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  6. dna

dna Funster

I've just looked through the proposed order document for Whitby, Filey and Cayton and they have set the banning times as 11am to 7pm. Is that a mistake or are they trying to ban daytime parking as well?

7. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Yep we live in Scarborough too at moment, and we have to buy a permit to park on our street. Not expensive, just I guess to keep the street clear for residents, non permit holders can park for up to 3 hours using the disc system.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

cant find any mention of 11am to 7pm anywhere in the document.
    prohibitions for scarborough, whitby, sandsend, filey, cayton and osgodby are.....

Proposed Prohibition of Waiting by Motor Caravans between 11.00 pm and 7.00 am
    Scarborough
    Royal Albert Drive (Both Sides) – From its junction with Peasholm Gap, to its junction with Marine Drive;
    Sandside (Both Sides) – From its junction with Marine Drive, to its junction with Foreshore Road;
    Foreshore Road (Both Sides) – From its junction with Sandside, to its junction with Valley Road; and
    Esplanade (Both Sides) – From its junction with Belmont Road, to its junction with Esplanade Crescent.

9. dna

dna Funster

yes, the Scarborough times look right but not on the order for the other towns
    filey order.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

But of course, permits are for residents only, or if you know a resident they can supply a visitor permit allowing you to park free of charge in a residential street.
    the resident buys a book of vIsitor permits for 20p each from memory.
    further away from the town parking is free.

11. pappajohn

Not many people on scarborough council progressed past the wax crayon stage and the proof reader was at lunch.

It will be 11pm to 7am to stop wildcamping....all the listed areas are perfect for wilding being bypassed roads etc.

As far as i know there is curently only one scarborough street with a total caravan/motorhome prohibition order....the approach road to the spa from the marine top roundabout and in the spa carpark itself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Maybe businesses will suffer as a result, but the curtain twitchers will be delighted !!!
    Why do we go overseas ??? mmmmm, let me see !!

13. EzeeRider

EzeeRider Read Only Funster

Contrast that with the Algarve who are want to introduce more space for motorhomes to park.
    ezee

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The point of the consultation is that it allows people to put forward their views against restrictions as well as for restrictions. If people who claim to want to be able to camp on the roadside don't bother to submit their arguments against the restrictions then they are likely to be imposed by default.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Stay on CL,s or go to France
    Phil

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I'm coming up to Scarborough in a few weeks' time. Nice to know I'll be welcome! Not.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Love the van, sooo Gallic
    Phil

18. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

vote with your wheels

19. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Scarborough Borough Council controls off street car parks in the borough. North Yorkshire County Council control parking on the highway throughout the county. So on road parking is under NYCC.

Both authorities TRO's also bans sleeping, camping and cooking. This applies 24/7 .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

So do I! Unfortunately it's not mine, it's one I saw at the aires in Lamotte Bouvron, and towed a trailer made from the rear part of a 2CV van. Absolutely gorgeous, so stylish. Perhaps I should change the avatar to a pic of my van!

• Like Like x 1