Numpty solar question

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by jockaneezer, May 29, 2014.

1. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

They say there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but here goes. It’s midday, not a cloud in the sky and the sun is beaming down. Your hab and cab batteries are fully charged, what happens to the power your solar panel is still producing ?:Confused:

2. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

It warms the panel, which gets warmer than it would it was actually supplying electricity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the regulator stops the charge being delivered.Open circuit panel will not produce any voltage. Add another battery for those dull days, charge everything you need to in the mornings.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Don't most charge controllers have an extra pair of contacts so spare current can be sent to another gadget? The current is very erratic on a cloudy day though. When I had a small panel on my shed roof connected to a car battery I used the extra contacts to top up a rechargeable LED torch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

... ooooo ... careful ... you'll have the 'power police' after you for wasting all of that lovely energy as you could connect to the national grid so others could benefit from it instead! :Rofl1:

or maybe it reflects back to the sun which re-absorbs it to keep it going for a few more million years!!! :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2