Numpty Question re driving in Europe. (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If there is a tram line with big kerbs either side in the middle of a city road---don't drive down it----it is hard to avoid trams or get out--------DON'T ask :Blush::Blush::Blush:

... that rings a bell with me too .... ding, ding! :Blush::Doh:

Sat nav - Change it from miles to kilometres and place it in the centre of the dash so that you and your front passenger can both easily see it - they can then tell you which way you need to be at junctions etc without you having to look at it or rely on just the 'verbal' directions.

Driving - A little rhyme ... "drive on the right to avoid a fright" :RollEyes:, get your family to learn it and every time you get in the drivers seat you should ALL say it together, that way you'll always be ... right! :thumb:

There's already been a lot of things mentioned so I won't go on, but don't stress about it ... it's supposed to be a holiday after all! ::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Many years ago, a friend of mine, who had retired early with his wife, bought a motorhome ( a Swift KonTiki ) and used to take it to France every few weeks.
Everytime he went to overtake something on a single carriageway road, he asked his wife if it was clear. As soon as she said it was, he pulled out smartish, overtook and pulled back in.
This went on for a couple of years.
Then, one day, after asking if it was clear, he looked at his wife to see her looking in the door mirror.
"Why are you looking in the mirror?" he asks.
"I always do" she answered.

:Eeek:

He had to pull over for a few minutes till the shaking stopped.....

Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There are some excellent videos on you tube which I think might have been done by funster 'magicsurfbus' such as this:

I appreciate your kind endorsement there, but the only excellent videos I've got on YouTube are these and the Aire Today Gone Tomorrow one, which admittedly begins with the drive out of Calais port.

Regarding Eurodriving advice:

1. It only gets seriously confusing if you drive across multi-directional junctions in old cobbled towns without any road markings.
2. Boulevard Peripherique, Paris - just say no. Likewise, the first time you drive in Italy don't do Naples to Sorrento.
3. In France, signs that say 'Stop' in English, usually at T-junctions, mean just that, even if the road either side is empty. That's what the nice Gendarme told me anyway.
4. Don't forget you drive on the right in supermarket and visitor attraction car parks as well.
5. Driving on Italian motorways isn't as harrowing as you might expect, but in crowded towns at rush hour it can get a bit mad. It's not that they're particularly bad drivers, they're just incredibly pushy. Mind you, after about a week of it you start to drive like they do and it all balances out. Plus in the final analysis a Motorhome is a lot bigger than a Fiat or a scooter, however loud their drivers may be shouting at you.
6. When driving downhill in the Alps use your gears to keep the speed sensible, unless you want regular reminders of what overheating brake pads smell like. It ain't North Wales.
7. Watch out for Eurodriving flashbacks after you've returned home, ie driving on the right in the supermarket car park, or when pulling out into a deserted country lane. I've done both.
8. Try not to get too frustrated about how utterly crap our roads are when compared to those you've been driving in France. Bon Voyage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Back in 1994 I drove off the ferry with 500 miles ahead to La Palmyre near Royan. Never driven on the right before so nice and carefully. Family (wife and 2 boys, 6 and 16) were banned from talking for ½ hour. Left docks and saw car coming up fast behind, went to pull over to LEFT to let him pass! Once the other side of Boulogne I was OK.
Did pull out of lay-by one quiet evening and drove on left until instructed by wife to move over to right.
Became so confident I came back via Paris, turned off Peripherique and drove without any maps to the Eiffel Tower.
But even now I still think twice at awkward junctions and take a breath.
I try not to get too complacent and cocky though.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
I love driving abroad even with a RH vehicle. Being able to filter into the middle of the road into a designated lane to turn is brilliant. I regularly drive solo to and from Spain without hassle, but find having to pay at the toll booths are a nightmare. Most are left hand and automated. Although a few RH ones are appearing. This means I can't reach to pay so have to get out and walk around the vehicle. Can put up with the impatient driver behind, but embarrassing when I had spilt my drink as I got out. All over me.... A bit soggy to say the least and bet there was a few remarks hehe :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back