Number plate camera

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by motorhomewave, Feb 21, 2010.

1. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Greetings from a snowy North Yorkshire. Anyone know of or tried one of these small wireless number plate reversing cameras ? are they any good or just a gimmick !

2. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

I have one fitted with the monitor resembling a rear-view mirror. It's subtle, has 180 degree field of view and does the job. Got it as I didn't want a hoofing big camera bolted to the van's bodywork. Mine's wired by the way.

3. forfourgeek

forfourgeek Read Only Funster

Wireless Number Plate Camera..

I bought a wireless camera & 3 inch monitor last year and fitted it. Quite honestly, it was rubbish. It picked up so much RF interference from something in the vans system i gave up using it.
    Far better to buy and fit a Wired system

4. Spireman

Spireman Read Only Funster

And greetings from a snowy East Midlands too--
    Following one of those frightening incidents, happily with no consequences, in Boulogne, I fitted a small camera on the back of our Hymer. It has to be one of the most useful additions to our M/H.
    It is not a numberplate camera, just one of those small rectangular black ones, it works in all conditions, day and night, it has a field of vision approaching 180 degrees. It is wired to a 7inch LCD screen on the dash, and the resolution is very good. One day when my auto electrical skills improve I will find a use for the other feeds to this screen.
    The components were purchased individually, mainly off Ebay, with a total cost of under £80-- A very small price for the convenience and safety gained.

Happy Camping

John

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I have a wireless one. If in doubt I shout "get get out and look behind will you". I trust that above a small screen where I could miss a low bollard or small child.

I worry that because of the overhang even with a 180 degree view from the back you can still sideswipe something in you blind spot.

6. kkclassic

kkclassic

Hi

We have had a wireless number plate cam for the car from one of the TV shopping channels and to be honest it was rubbish. It was to bright so I returned it and the next one was the same, there was no contrast setting and the interference was off putting.

The old saying you pay for what you get is true here. Go for a wired system and a good quality camera and monitor.

Kevin and Tricia

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Would sooner go for a hard wired job, had ours fitted when I brought this van as it had no back vision, best thing I ever did.

Don't know much about wireless ones but when my mate saw mine he replaced his wireless one for a hard wired one.

Dave :thumb:

8. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Thanks everybody, wired seems to be the way forward (or reverse in this case).

9. Bruce Burge

Bruce Burge Read Only Funster

Camera

I have i fitted a wireless unit to my RV i use it as a blind spot mirror for O/S of vehicle
    night vision, colour, brightness, contrast, fully ajustable from buttons on monitor,also
    has plug in ports for phone charger dvd etc, no problems as yet (Maplins £129.00) Bruce