Nudge bars

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

If I fit a chrome nudge bar on the front of my van (CE marked of course) do I have to tell my insurance ???

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't know if you have to but it wouldn't do any harm would it? At least you would know positively that you aren't going to risk problems because of an un-notified modification.

Graham

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Tend to agree with Graham really. Gives the insurance company no reason to penalise you if your unfortunate enough to need them.

Jim
    :Smile:

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Agree totally

Dave:thumb::thumb:

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I think so too as they are seen as increasing risk of harm to pedestrians. :Smile:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

could come in useful at Calais ...

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Nudge bars can cause more damage than they prevent. Often a bump that would have been absorbed by a bumper, ends with the bar bending and damaging the wing. I've seen this happen a couple of times with wrap around bars on a Land Rovers.

8. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Yes you do and some Insurance company’s do not look at these favourably they tend to see the boy racer image and load the premium accordingly. Once you have asked such a question it is loaded into there computer whether you proceed or not

Alf

9. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Thanks for all replies. On reflection I dont think I will bother, probably right regarding more damage etc and with regards to insurers not liking the idea.
    Many thanks - Ian

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

There was a thread on this elsewhere a few months ago where a poster had been refused insurance because he had fitted a nudge bar.
    Apparently front ends are designed to collapse in a progressive manner thereby limiting damage to pedestrians or the vehicle structure. Any bar attached to the body or chassis defeats the designers efforts and transfers the full impact to the van causing a minor fender bender to become a major repair job or even a write off. ( but at least the bumper grille/ lights may be able to be re-used! )
    In Australia, where Roo bars are needed many trucks have an added frame projecting out from the base of the windscreen to prevent the guys you hit at speed from being deflected by the Roo bar up through the windscreen.

11. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

seen a few motorhomes with the big chrome bull bars thought they looked quiet sleek, more 4x4's with them too I think they are getting popular again

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

On the basis that any damage you do to pedestrians when you nudge them will be more serious then with a nice smooth bumper then I would have thought it essential.

13. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Kangaroo Bars

A few years ago there was a program on TV following several serious and fatal accidents to children I forget the figure but the increase in the injuries to them was phenomenal. :Eeek:
    Modem vehicles are crash damages designed to cause as little damage as possible both to vehicles and people imagine being hit by a RSJ no thank you! :shout::Eek!:

If car owners knew the extra insurance premium and danger to children most would remove them. :cry::cry:

These bars are not for the UK. we have no roos'

Alf

14. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

I think it was the suzuki ones that were dangerous as they had ridges with sharp edges where as others were big fat round chrome ones.

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

When the big fat round ones hit the spine the rest of the body continues into the void either side and the spine snaps.

If you are really lucky it just shatters a leg.

16. alf

alf Read Only Funster

David
    It is not the ridges at all it is the shear weight of metal most bumpers are plastic designed to crumple and give a soft knock in 1995 I had a Autosleeper Ford Flair I watched the Panorama TV program on bumpers and went out and removed mine in this country vehicles are not designed to carry the weight of a nudge bar at the extreme edge it will damage and twist the chassis if one gets a good knock if you watched the program and had children or grand children you would understand.

If they were any good for UK manufacturers would fit them and insurance companies would give discounts for fitting them, as it is they add premium or ban them.

A child getting tapped by one is hit by SOLID steel,not very good a slight glance by one will crush the bodywork on your Duetto instead of a slight mark on you plastic trim.
    Why would anyone want one POSERS thats why

Alf