Nuclear Bunker RAF Holmpton (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just got back form a lovely weekend away .
We stayed on a small cl in a village called Holmton near Withernsea.
We had a lovely long walk on the deserted beach there with the kids and dogs.
( you get to it down old school lane ) Though you'd struggle if you weren't good on your feet.:winky:
Theres not a path down , you have to clamber down the crumbling coast line
We walked for a good few mile , in the lovely sunshine , only coming across the odd fisherman.

If you've never been to R.A.F Holmpton the underground nuclear bunker I'd recommend a visit. The guided tour lasts for 1hour 40 mins and i honestly thought id be bored stiff, but it was really good . There is original footage, old public information films and slide shows too.
Very very interesting. A bit scary , and rather moving at the end . Its all about the cold war , Hiroshima etc and what could have happened.....
What could still happen:Eeek: Theres alsorts down there.
Even the kids were enthralled with it all.
Link Removed only £18 for the 2 adults and 3 kids.
Parts of it are still in use today too , restricted areas . Its absolutely massive (35,000 sq feet ) and all 100 feet underground built in the 1950's.
There were no height restrictions to the car park , though we walked from the village. Infact we got soaked walking back , where did that come from:cry: we had to call into the pub!!
Staying for a nice meal and a few drinks , and the locals were very friendly. The village has a population of only 200 .
Sunday morning , we awoke to a lovely blue cloudless sky , with bright sunshine.
So once we'd eaten our bacon n egg out side , we packed up , then decided to go to Hornsea for a look around and lunch .
We parked up the MH and went on the beach and got haddock n chips from Sullivan's mmm, we even managed to get the jackets off. Sitting on the rocks :Cool:
Eating again , wondered why my weight was creeping up:Doh:
Bev

P.S.
HONDA generator for sale .....
See classifieds for details :thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I forgot to mention, for those that are into supernatural things ghosts and ghouls, they do a very late trip every so often.
This Saturday night the Most Haunted bloke form the TV was there.
Seemingly theres a drunken x RAF pilot who was punished , and given a desk job down there .Some people have felt drunk when going in to the room where he was based. :Eeek::Eeek: He likes to make his presence felt at night.
Its eerie enough through the day for me.

There must be loads of fun members on here that can remember the cold war times:winky:.
We found it really interesting. Lots of original bits n pieces down there.
Careless talk costs life n all that:thumb:
Bev

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
If you ever go that way again my cousin runs the Railway pub in Patrington! Pop in and have a pint Tell her that her cousin Susan (yes they don't shorten my name) said to call in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you ever go that way again my cousin runs the Railway pub in Patrington! Pop in and have a pint Tell her that her cousin Susan (yes they don't shorten my name) said to call in.

You mean the pints are on you ?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
That sounds great. Do they allow dogs in.

Jim
:Smile:

I don't think they do Jim, We left our 2 in the motor home back on the cl.
They'd both had a 4+ mile long walk in the morning , running around on the beach , and were whacked . Tour starts at 2.30 pm prompt. Lasts for approx 1 hour 40 mins.

( Not advisable leaving dogs in a car in sunshine , we know , before anyone jumps . But a fully insulated MH with all the blinds up and silver screen on , roof vent open , over cast afternoon there fine )

Look on the web site. I cant see anything , but there are contact numbers on there , so you could ask.
Link Removed

There is a dog down there though ,in the bunker , and a cat . Honestly.
They do get let out for walks , there not like the old pit ponies , kept down there till death ! We saw the cat . Thought it was stuffed till it stood up and stretched !!
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back