Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

I know these things have been mentioned before on Fun but my Noza Tec truck satnav arrived today and I thought I would pass on details in case anyone else is thinking of buying.

I bought mine from for the princely sum of £41.99. I haven't had a chance to give it a proper trial yet but so far I am very pleased. It comes with various brackets and plugs so you have a choice of where to mount it in your van. The idea of free lifetime map updates appealed so I gave it a go following the instructions and - success! I got it to plan a route from Norfolk to a random town in Germany and it managed fine.

Most useful feature of course is that you can input your van's length, width, height and weight so in theory it should keep us out of trouble.

Paul

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think they are brilliant. I have had mine for about a year and it keeps informing me to do the map upgrade, as I'm not techie minded I have shyed away from doing the map upgrade in the hope one of the more intelligent funsters may do it for me if I ply them with alcohol.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I think I was a bit lucky when I updated the maps, everything worked fine although the instructions (see below) are not exactly clear.

I read in the 'manual' that you can connect a reversing camera to the satnav screen, sounds really useful.

Paul

instructions.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
This has reminded me to update my maps. The freemapsupdate.com URL now resolves to elitefashion99.co.uk website, which is odd. However there is a link on the left hand side to download GPS map updates, if you follow this you get to choose "Common Map" updates which are for cars I believe or "Truck Map" which is what we need.

So I clicked the Truck Map link and it takes you to a page where you can select the country map you require, however these are titled "Common Map". I downloaded the map and thought I would check to see if it was any different to the "Common Map". After downloading both sets of maps for the UK, I found they are the same file. So I am guessing the "Truck Map" is not actually a truck map at all.

So I would be very wary of using this map, does anyone have contact details for the vendor so we can ask there advice.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hmmm, I don't know much about how these things work really. I had a look at the file size for one of the maps, I chose the Netherlands as an example, and the car / common map is the same size as the truck map. Isn't it possible that the actual map data is the same but it is interpreted differently by the satnav? i.e information re narrow roads etc is there but the truck satnav actually makes use of it.

We are off to Devon next week, I will throw the satnav a few routes with narrow lanes and see how it gets on.

Paul

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I am pretty sure the maps should be different, I spoke to Garmin about this once. Try navigating a route via a width or height restriction you know of.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am pretty sure the maps should be different, I spoke to Garmin about this once. Try navigating a route via a width or height restriction you know of.

This is totally, totally unscientific but I just tried a route between two houses in Camrose Avenue Edgware (north London). I chose the numbers of the houses by looking on streetview knowing that there is a 7 foot width restriction in between. Now the houses are 200 yards apart maximum and on the same road but the satnav chose a route, via several side roads, that was 1.1 miles.

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Sounds like a good test to me. Perhaps I am wrong or perhaps all the maps on the website are truck ones. I can't see how the two map files can be the same size, the Truck specific data must be held in the map somewhere.

Anyone else using these latest maps with their Sat Nav?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The maps will be the same but the control code will be different

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I mailed the vendor on Amazon here is there reply. So it looks like the files should be different sizes. I have gone back to them to confirm both are the same size, will post when I receive and answer.

Hi,

Did u download the truck map file via clicking "Truck map for GPS Navigators" ? The file name is the same, but normally the size is different, pls. kindly double check and back to tell us the situation.

Regards,
Ann

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm having great difficulty updating the maps. I've got the Noza plugged into my Macbook Air and have downloaded the maps but they are unix files and I cannot open them. Do I just drag them to the sat nav icon?

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I think I've done it. I've located 'maps' in the Primo folder. Deleted the 2008 versions and replaced them with the 2015 versions from the website.

Is that right?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back